Baby Monitor keeps freaking me out

Everything about taking care of baby, toddlers, pre-school, primary kids, teenagers, parenting in general.

Baby Monitor keeps freaking me out

Postby firsttimer » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:24 pm

Jack is now in his cot for a whole week and i must say it is weird not having hiim in the room with me 24/7 (used to carry his cot upstairs when i was going to bed) but i have only started to use the baby monitor.
now i know that there are noises in the house like floor boards creaking when i turn the heat on and off but the things that i have heard on the monitor are completly leaving me terrified.
its the fisher price monitor and just thinking about it now is sending shivers down my spine,

i hear footsteps walking around the room, very deep breathing and i could have sworn i heard his blankets moving off him but when i go up and check he hasnt moved at all, i hear mumbles too, im not the only one to hear this, my other half spent over 2 hours with the monitor pressed to his ear and he was so freaked out he just turned it off completly. he wont tell me what he heard at all.
the cot is not in the same room as me as there isnt enough room but the room that it is in is adjoined to our bedroom, someone turned it into a walk in wardrobe and thought that the box room was too small for a bed so its perfect, i can see the cot from the bed.

has anyone else had any weird happenings with baby monitors?
firsttimer

Re: Baby Monitor keeps freaking me out

Postby sunshine » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:35 pm

hey hun, I know my sister in law stopped using her baby monitor as she was hearing things like you but it turns out it was that sensitive it was picking up the people next door walking around and when they had their TV on in the bedroom she could nearly hear it through the monitor cos baby was in cot near neighbours wall. She lives in a house that has paper thin walls so it wouldn't surprise me that it picked up noises from next door. I'd say its probably coming from next door so try not get freaked out hun ...
[url=http://lilypie.com]Image
sunshine

Postby firsttimer » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:05 am

Sunshine i live in a detached house!!!!
firsttimer

Postby lovemylilbean » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:27 pm

okayyyyy thats freaky lol!!do you know the history of the house, like who lived in it before u?and how old is the house?one morning oh was just going to work and i was still in bed i swear something lent behind me and whispered something or was deep breathing and at the end of the bed there was something heavy on it at least thats what it felt like i tried to kick it off but couldnt i was so scared!i could hear oh locking the door n i tried to shout out but my voice wouldnt work! :wtf :wtf told what ever it was to go away leave me alone n it went, told oh n he said it must have been the dog yet or door was closed,the dogs paws would have been heard if that was the case as we have wood floors up stairs and she runs on the stairs-not a sound and the sitting room door was closed, so im convinced it was something n not the dog, also his brother stayed with us for a while he saw something white in the hall and run, &stop up the stairs one day n though it was again the dog as she is white n brown but she was in our room that night and again the door was closed. also jess will bark at the corner of the room at nothing or growl for no reason at all, or bark in the hall,she hasnt dont it since that morning i was freaked out n nothing has been going on since, but id be freakied out if it was a detached house maybe get the local priest to bless th house cant do any harm i was seriously gonna go this after last time but nothing has happened since.
lovemylilbean

Postby RocTheBaby » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:51 pm

Maybe there is someone guarding your baby...maybe the noise you thought was someone removing the covers, was actually someone putting the covers back on the baby? I believe in spirits and stuff. I doubt whoever/whatever it is will do harm. Spirits don't harm anyone. It is spooky though, I get spooked by stuff quite easily myself so I don't blame u freaking out . Do you have a passed grand parent or anyone? I bet you someone is minding your baby.

RocTheBaby

Postby pebbles » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:11 pm

ooh girls a shiver gone over me reading those posts. freaking me out here! :( :(
pebbles

Postby firsttimer » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:44 pm

oh my god, i was hoping for people to say that the monitor was broken or something and to replace it, not to come and tell me scary ghost stories, surely a baby would be able to see or sense if there is a spirit in the room, and if he wasnt happy with that person then he would cry or not sleep well or something, so if there is a spirit in the room then the spirit is a nice one and all will be well, i dont get a eery feeling in there or anything so maybe i will just try and forgget about it, which is gonna be hard now, but ill keep the monitor off and if my baby is crying im sure i will hear him downstairs, he cant roll over or anything cause he has the clevafoam sleep positioner. ill keep ye posted if oh decides to listen in again
firsttimer

Postby lollypops » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:05 pm

im a firm believer in guardian angels so this could b one reason and i really do believe that babies see spirits but obviously nice ones! but we had baby monitors and one day my daughter crying an i went up to the room and she was fast asleep,was a bit freaked to b honest went back down herd it again went back up she was stil asleep checked n made sure the monitor was in her room.cudnt understand wat the f**k was goin on had tears in my eyes i was so frightened.our house was detached.it turned out our monitor was picking up the one next door! we cud hear there baby coz we herd the neighbours talking other than that we wudnt of known wat it was.and a frend of mine also picked up their neighbours baby monitors and the house was across the road! it was a good 3/400 metres away
lollypops

Postby firsttimer » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:49 pm

hmmmmm maybe that is what i am hearing lollypops, i know the neighbours have a baby too but it never occured to me that the monitor could pick up from that range. its still really freaky, jack lets out crys in his sleep too but i know its him cause i have seen it but it doesnt wake him up.
firsttimer

Postby bumblebe » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:34 am

Try not to freak out first timer, I'd say ur monitor is just picking up stuff from the neighbours, my monitor used to pick up dogs barking but we'd only ever be able to hear them on the monitor and not ourselves down stairs!
bumblebe

Postby wantone » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:02 pm

Id say your monitor is picking up neighbours ones, when we were looking at monitors people kept telling us to get one with that dect feature on it, so it wouldn't get interference or pick up things....so maybe that is exactly whats happening, your monitor is picking up others. I wouldn't say its anything eerie as there is no reason for there to be anything going on.
If it makes you feel better, get house blessed, its normal enough request....We got monitor with a camera so we can see baby when we hear a noise on monitor. Its great really.
http://pregnancy.baby-gaga.com/]Image[/url]
wantone

Postby imyoung » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:27 am

Hi hun. I think it is the sensitivity issue. You can try cheap baby monitors that are readily adjustable when it comes to sensitivity controls. Although inexpensive, but you can assure that it is high end.
imyoung

Postby lotsofquestions » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:34 am

Ah Jesus girls - don't be freaking OP out with stories of ghosts etc!!
The most rational and common explanation is that your monitor is picking up the sounds from another monitor being used within the range area! Apparently this happens all of the time and can totally freak the parents out but it's not uncommon!
Try and see if you can change the frequency on your monitor and hopefully that will help.
Don't be worrying about supernatural stuf.....!
lotsofquestions

Return to General Parenting Chat