Useful things/tips

General chat about being pregnant, the different stages of pregnancy, morning sickness, the ups and downs of carrying your baby.

Useful things/tips

Postby HoneyBee » Tue May 14, 2013 5:01 pm

So I thought I'd just write down a few things I found helpful, just cause I know how daunting the first few weeks can be when it's your first :-)

Nappies - I bought size 1's and size 2's and LO is still in the size 1's at 5 weeks old & she was 7lb 10oz born, but she was deceptively small for a baby of that weight.
At the moment we're going through 50/55 nappies a week, and I've found that a good guide (if you wanted to stock up in advance etc). For what it's worth I've recently abandoned pampers in favour of boots own brand. Partly because I wanted to see if there was much difference & partly because a couple of times pampers nappies leaked. I find the boots ones a better for for smaller babies & also they haven't leaked at all yet, however I've only tried the smallest size - I don't know if they would be as reliable as baby gets bigger/nappies get fuller etc, but just wanted to mention it as I really find them good. I've a load of pampers size 2's stockpiled so I'll use them up next & then maybe investigate the boots version again

Clothes - again, LO measured 'big' the whole time I was expecting but then she popped out and despite being almost 8lb she didn't fit into any of the 0-3 baby gros & we had to send my mil out to get newborn vests ' sleep suits so I'd recommend buying a few in that size fir your hosp bag. I found the plain ones from tesco really good - they are 7/8e for a 5 pack of vests and about the same for a 3 pk of sleep suits so they don't break the bank.

Wipes - I stocked up on these but we still aren't even using them. They irritate LO's bum so we've stuck to cotton wool, plain water & bepanthen. In terms of cotton wool we find the pleats the best - the individual balls were too small to clean properly & the loose cotton was too finicky to break off in a hurry.

Towels - I learned the hard way that you need to have lots of baby towels on hand!! Lo thinks its a great game to poop immediately after you take her out of the bath so we were flying through them. The hooded towels you can get are great, but honestly we went to ikea & got 10 plain white hand towels, washed them in fairy & softener & they are a great back up to have and a perfect size for days when you just give them a quick wash.

Soothers - even if planning to bf (I am) I'd recommend getting a few 'just in case', - our lo went through a growth spurt at 3 weeks & wanted to feed 24/7, but it got to a stage where she was pretty much on the boob constantly and we knew she couldn't be that hungry! So our baby nurse said to try a soother - if it calmed her, then we knew it was just comfort she wanted, if she still cried we'd know it was real hunger. It was a life saver!!
We use the Tommee Tippee closer to nature ones and we've had no problem with nipple confusion etc (which is what everyone warned is about).

Baby carrier or sling - we just got one if these recently because lo has gone from being very quiet & sleepy to being wide awake & wanting the arms all day long & I couldn't get anything done as I was holding her! I'd judge this one based on your own needs/baby - I'm really only using mine when lo is demanding the arms & I have to make lunch/hang out washing/tidy up so ours is a cheap and cheerful one as I don't need a fancy one. If you think you'd use one out and about or on a daily basis you could prob invest in a more expensive one that would withstand a lot of use.

Nightlight - we found that night feeds woke our lo right up if we put the lamp in the room on but it was impossible to feed in the dark so we ended up investing in a soft nightlight for the room which gives me just enough light to feed her but not so much that she wakes fully.

Night time changes - similarly we found that changing her nappy before the middle of the night feed woke her & she wouldn't settle then. Our baby nurse suggested putting a double layer of bepanthen on her just before bed with a clean nappy & not changing her at the next feed. It's worked wonders for us & now lo is actually sleeping 11-5 or there abouts most nights so we typically don't have a 2/3am feed at all now.

Bouncer - we bought one that vibrates/rocks etc & of course lo hates the whole idea and won't stay in it for more than 10/15 mins - I'd hold off on buying one I'd maybe try out one in the shop when baby arrives and see what they make of it first

Sheets - buy a good few cot/Moses sheets. Our lo got a bug at 2 weeks old & in the space of a few hours went through 3 sets of sheets & we were down to our last one!
They wash and dry fast but you don't want to be stuck waiting on the dryer!!

Hope this helps :-) if I think of anything else I'll post it later
HoneyBee

Re: Useful things/tips

Postby miniak » Tue May 14, 2013 5:17 pm

I'm copying n pasting this into my notes! Thanks Honeybee. Xx
miniak

Postby Sparkles » Tue May 14, 2013 5:22 pm

Thanks honeybee that's a brill list! I know this is baby no 2 for me but dd is 7 so I've forgotten most of what I used last time :)
Sparkles

Postby HoneyBee » Tue May 14, 2013 5:29 pm

Glad to help :-)

How're you both getting on?
HoneyBee

Postby Sparkles » Tue May 14, 2013 5:47 pm

Gettin on good so can't complain! Am 14&1 now & wishing the next 2 wks away till my scan! It's nice when your lo gets to about 5-6 cos I found I was so nervous in the early days mixed with being sore & tired, u can start to really enjoy it now at this stage! Treasure every moment with your little girl, once the baby arrives time goes way too fast!
Sparkles

Postby HoneyBee » Tue May 14, 2013 5:57 pm

Aw I remember counting down the days until my scans I can't believe she's here & all now!
Time feels like its flying already - I'm so torn. Part of me wants her to stay tiny forever & the other half wants her talking, walking & running around the house!!
HoneyBee

Postby Anon1424 » Tue May 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Thanks for posting honeybee, it's a great list! There's so much to know!!
Anon1424

Postby mamaw » Tue May 14, 2013 6:22 pm

Thanks HoneyBee, that's a great help :babyrolling

mamaw

Postby gogo29 » Tue May 14, 2013 7:05 pm

Ill be looking this up when my time comes as forget some of it from my DS... AWWWWHH :-)
gogo29

Postby miniak » Tue May 14, 2013 7:11 pm

There's another great list too I remember by MrsS11, " stuff I found useful to have". Great lists for ppl like me, complete novices!! Thanks for taking the time to write it all up honeybee
miniak

Postby MrsEL10 » Tue May 14, 2013 7:12 pm

That's a great help thanks :)
TTC # 1 Dec 10 - Dec 12, currently pregnant on # 2 :)
MrsEL10

Postby MummyBear » Tue May 14, 2013 7:53 pm

That's a great list!
Thanks for sharing.
I know I'll be revisiting this thread quite a few times & no dobut will have lots of questions to ask about all the supposed essentials to see just what IS essential.
& so useful of you to say realistically 'how many' of the different things you'll need.
Thanks again.
MummyBear

Postby HoneyBee » Tue May 14, 2013 10:24 pm

Glad it's useful - if I think of anything else I'll update it.

The only other tip I'd mention is, don't take everything people/midwives/hosp tell you as gospel.
Only YOU know your baby & even after a few days you really will have an inkling what a certain cry means.

For example, the midwives in the hosp had me waking lo every 2/3 hours to breastfeed - she was a sleepy newborn & loved her sleep. When I came home & told the baby nurse how exhausting it was to wake her, at which point she's cry/fuss & wound only take 10/15 mins of milk & then would cry for an hour from crankiness she told me I was mad to wake her after 2 hours & that 3/3.5 hrs was fine as during the night we could let her go 6 hrs as long as she was feeding regularly all day. It's made a world of difference! We're sleeping & lo isn't being woken/cranky :-)
HoneyBee

Postby 2blue » Wed May 15, 2013 3:29 am

Really useful list! On wipes etc I couldnt recommend Water Wipes enough! We were using cotton wool/pleats/balls with water and it was just such a fuss when out and about. Switched to water wipes and zero irritation. DS still has sensitive skin at almost 15 months so only recently changed to Johnsons so we used the water wipes for months with no trouble.
oh and new mammies should try out the Aldi newborn nappies. We found them good for DS though we've stuck with Pampers as they're what we've found best for overnight as hes gotten bigger.
2blue

Postby tippmam » Wed May 15, 2013 10:29 am

Thanks honeybee really helpful!!!
tippmam

Postby khloed » Wed May 15, 2013 12:22 pm

Great Tips Honeybee..delighted everything is going well for you x
khloed

Postby HoneyBee » Wed May 15, 2013 3:06 pm

Another thing I thought of - cellular blankets, try buy some smaller ones if you're planning on using a Moses basket.

We had a few of them but when we folded them up to use in the Moses basket there were tons leftover/it crowded the basket & I was terrified of her wriggling down under the blankets.

Dunnes do a good sized one - folded in half its a perfect size for the Moses & if you buy a couple of them you can layer them up as needed depending on the room temp.
The hosp gave us a handy chart detailing the right number of layers depending on how hot the room is.
I'll try find it & post it up here its really handy. Our room is consistently 18 degrees (3/4 layers of light blankets) so I haven't been using the chart much but it was really reassuring at the start.

The other thing I thought of - thermometer! Our lo got a tummy but at about 2 weeks old & was so glad we had a baby thermometer in the house as it was so reassuring to keep an eye on her temp. Mothercare do a good one which reads temp in 1/2 seconds - try holding a wriggling baby still for longer than that!!

I was also thinking of putting up a thread on breastfeeding - I struggled to find a lot of info/answers to my questions so the past 5 weeks have been a real learning curve. Am in no way an expert ha ha but hopefully I can shed some light on it for anyone else considering it/unsure about it. It's not for everyone but sure I'll put up a post later on with my experience so far, tips & FAQs & if it helps someone else, great!! I got a lot if help from a lactation consultant in the hospital but only because I asked for it - there isn't really anywhere new mums can ask questions in advance/while considering breastfeeding & the Internet is a minefield. A lot of what you find is geared towards the US & not really relevant here etc
HoneyBee

Postby trees » Wed May 15, 2013 3:18 pm

Great list honeybee - thanks
sounds like u and ur little princess is getting on jst fine :)
trees

Postby Bumpmakes3 » Thu May 16, 2013 12:35 am

A bath thermometer is a must. Don't waste money buying as baby bath. The foam support are brill. we used it for her first bath and still do and she loves the big bath for splashing in.Id have no where to store the bath anyway! Also get a normal thermometer. Its the first thing you ll check if baby is sick. I've the tommee tippee one, got it on sale in Dunnes. Worth every penny.

we use pampers sensitive wipes, prefer them to water wipes. Ella s skin is really sensitive but has no problem with them . We re using pamper napppies, Never leaked. Stock up when they are on sale. Found aldi ones fine for daytime when they are changed often but leaked at night so used pampers at night. Now i just use the pampers ones all the time.

i find Clevamma pillow great if baby has reflux or signs of plagiocephaly. Lots of debate about using a pillow but im happy with ours after looking into them. she sleeps great now.

Clevamama scoop a must if bottle feeding. Makes life sooo much easier. :D

ive been to baby wearing class, just be sure sling supports baby well and doesn't spread the hip joints too wide! I had a cheap one but found my back was killing me as not much support, esp. when bubz weighs over a stone! if its something you ll really use its worth getting a better one which is expensive.

i found normal cellular blankets fine. Have four in total but have only used two.. At nite used one to swaddle and one over when she was in the moses basket. now shes in a gro bag in the big cot. Room thermometer is good to have too. Its amazing how cool its supposed to be for babies. we have the gro egg which i love. Angel care monitor has a thermometer in them as well and a handy night light if your using them.

I'm not a fan of vibrating or electric bouncers. We got a normal old fashioned bouncer which ella has now figured out how to bounce herself which has given her a new lease of life in it. I found with my sisters kids they were constantly needing to be rocking or moving and got tired of the chair easily. Its a personal preference but one to think about.

As honeybee said have soothers in the house, just in case! ;)
Bumpmakes3

Postby Bumpmakes3 » Thu May 16, 2013 11:42 pm

Forgot to say bout car seats. Maxi cosi one didn't come with a rain cover when we bought our travel system. Big pain. Found one on littlewoods, brilliant buy. Well worth it. Esp. when visiting and bringing baby in from the car, keeps them shielded from the wind and rain. Very easy to put on. We still use ours. find it great when out shopping, keeps germs away when people coughing and spluttering around ya!! :bolt
Bumpmakes3

Return to General Pregnancy Chat