Equipment tips-what's hot, what's not

General chat about being pregnant, the different stages of pregnancy, morning sickness, the ups and downs of carrying your baby.

Equipment tips-what's hot, what's not

Postby baby2015 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:35 pm

Hi guys,

Early pregnancy and over coming months want to pick up stuff for baby like cots, pushchairs, Moses basket..

Would love to hear from experienced mums who have bought equipment, what was good, what was not eg. Was the dearest pushchair in the shop the best think you bought!?! What was the best thing you ever bought what was a waste of money!!

Just some practical advice what is needed!

Thanks
baby2015

Re: Equipment tips-what's hot, what's not

Postby jellybeansmum » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:49 pm

I got the graco mirage travel system for 165 and I love it!if bottle feeding the electric sterilisers are far better than microwave.tried tommee tippee and nuk bottles she hated them so settled on dr browns.love aldi and dunnes nappies
[/img]
Can't wait to meet my jellybean!!Due May 7th 2014
jellybeansmum

Postby lorraine78 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:10 pm

We got a Tiny Love rocker as a present and we'd be lost without it,he loves it. We've avent bottle warmer and microwave steriliser and again I'd be lost without them.
If I were you,I wouldn't be rushing out to buy too much. We didn't have to buy anything,we got everything as gifts. And I'm also a big fan of Dr brown bottles :)
lorraine78

Postby baby2015 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:35 pm

Grt girl thanks!
baby2015

Postby jellybeansmum » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:36 pm

Oh I got my high chair in aldi and love it.3 reclines,6 different heights and super padded seat!
[/img]
jellybeansmum

Postby lotsofquestions » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:46 pm

I got the baby elegance bundle. Everything you need for e999! It's amazing and took all of the pre baby purchases stress away. Nothing in the bundle is redundant.

Don't spend a fortune on a travel system. You don't get too long out of the bassinet and so many mums say they buy a light weight stroller in the first year anyway. Just get a handy, light travel system that comes with a car seat and isofix base. You need to think about lifting it in and out of you car and taking it around shops etc. so a nice neat one!

Get a bouncer/rocker chair for baba, they love them and they help with wind and reflux.

My fave purchase was a babylo glider for the nursery. I worried it would be a waste but I use it everyday. It's lovely to rock in it with her. :)
lotsofquestions

Postby shellybelly » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:46 am

I wouldn't bother with a Moses basket unless you get it a present, they grow out of them so so fast. We got the chicco next2me crib as a gift from my brother, they are 200 euro but do them for the first 6 months or so. Our wee man loves it, loads of room to stretch his arms out when he is sleeping, and you can attach it to the bed and zip the side down so very handy at night if you are bf or just want to be near your baby without cosleeping.
One of the handiest things we bought is a clevascoop for doing the bottles. You adjust it to the number of scoops you want and then put all the powder in as one big scoop. It was about a tenner. I thought it was a big gimmick when my hubby brought it home but when you are making up loads of bottles it is such a time saver and the wee scoop that comes with the formula is crap. That's of course if you are bottle feeding!
shellybelly

Postby baby2015 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:56 am

Grt guys!
baby2015

Postby herewego » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:40 am

I second about not getting a moses basket, barely used it 1st time and baby never settled in it. Never used it on any others, just a glorified washing basket now! Would recommend a cot bed over a cot if you have the room. Lasts much longer. Bouncy seat, like others have said. Remember you can get things later on, if you think you need them. The only extra buy i had for #3 was a sit-me-up seat thing (can't remember the name) but he was 5 months and was slightly delayed, so wanted to sit up but unable. Didn't start sitting on his own till 8 months.
pushchairs/travel systems is a topic all on its own. So much to choose from. Just need to work out what you want from it. For us, being able to put carseat on pushchair frame was essential. Once you have more than one, other factors to consider. If your planning a second, something that converts to a double can be handy. On first we got a lightweight for the car once he was big enough, so expensive system didn't get as much use as we thought it might. But for 2 and 3, didn't use it and stayed with main system.
And I've never used a changing table. Used top of cotbed when they were little and then just the floor (and a changing mat), or my lap when a bit too wriggly.
Last edited by herewego on Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
herewego

Postby Momawant2be » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:13 pm

Lotsofquestions what's the beep twist travel system like I think that's included in the 999 euro deal I was going to get it then I heard mixed reviews about it
Momawant2be

Postby neadyneady » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:19 pm

@ momawanttobe I have the beep twist and I find it great it's lightweight and easy to manage, I love mine even my oh likes it!
neadyneady

Postby jellybeansmum » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:06 pm

Iv to disagree about changing table!got a second hand one and found it brilliant as I had a section and found it too hard to keep bending to change her!got a moses basket as a gift but put her in cotbed at 2months.grobags all the way my lo hates blankets!bouncers are great they really are a necessity!
[/img]
jellybeansmum

Postby lorraine78 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:48 pm

Oh God, id be lost without our changing unit too, ours has the wee bath under the changer. I find it great for dressing him too and storing all his bits and bobs. We were given a Moses basket for a loan and it was great,he sleeps like a log in it.
lorraine78

Postby tippergirl » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:54 pm

I think everyone finds different things great/not so great so if you have offers of gifts or freebies you're happy to use I think it's the way to go. I found the Moses basket & changing table great. I had a crib for after the Moses basket & hated that so moved to the cot then.
[/url]
tippergirl

Postby lotsofquestions » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:17 pm

Momawant2be I really like the beep twist. It's a great travel system for the budget. It's nice and neat and light weight. It's really good looking too!!! Loads of fab colours to pick from etc. you can even buy colour packs for fifty quid if you get bored and change the whole look of it. The carry cot is comfy and very roomy for baba. She conks out also everytime in the car seat and looks comfy. Easy to use etc.
The wheels could be better in my opinion but it's a very light negative and not an issue unless you're going to be jogging with it or walking cross country!
Nice to support irish too!!!

I don't have a changing unit, I'd say not many people have room for one in their nurseries. I do have a removable changer that fits across the cot though and is super handy.
lotsofquestions

Postby shellybelly » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:57 pm

I have a changing unit and love it, use it all the time. It has the bath underneath the changing part and then a load of shelves. I keep all his moisturisers, shampoo etc in it, his towels on the bottom, and then his nappies, wipes etc as well. Loads of room. My back would be broke changing him anywhere else I'd say.
shellybelly

Postby newmumi » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:18 pm

My most used item for the first 6/7mths on both boys is a chicco polly magic highchair. Its 1 of very few highchairs thatcan b used from birth as it has a full recline position. It was invaluable to me after having a csection as i didnt have to bend to put them into a bouncer seat.
A good padded playmat is also a top priority imo. Is great for doin tummy time on the floor.
newmumi

Postby Anciotog » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:49 pm

I agree on not getting loads, and if you have family that are asking you what you want don't be afraid to tell them. We only had a moses basket because a neighbour gave it to us, but we had a travel system that had a pram that you could use for overnight sleeping (not all do) so I wouldn't have bothered buying the basket if we hadn't been given it.

The playmat is fantastic from about 6 weeks on. The Avent electric steriliser was given to us by my sil, and it's great.

If you want your lo to sleep in a growbag start early - we waited too long and he hated it and wouldn't settle in it at all.

If you are having a section I couldn't recommend a changing table highly enough. We have a Cosatto one that has a lot of storage, it's the best thing we got of everything we have used. We got it second hand and it was in immaculate condition. Some people think they are a waste, but dh and i could not have lived without ours especially in the early days when I couldn't bend much. If there was only one thing you could get, outside our Uppababy Vista travel system, this would be what I would settle on.
Anciotog

Postby herewego » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:10 pm

Wow, i must be strange not using a changing table. Seems very popular. Had c-sections as well, so perhaps it would have been useful. Never even thought about getting one, always looked such a luxury.
herewego

Postby kd2012 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:24 pm

Got so much use out of our changing table too. Like a lot of our stuff it was a hand me down from a friend but I think we would have bought one anyway. Our 16 month old is probably too big for it now but we still use it for changing her for bed and first thing in the morning. She's a nightmare to change, especially on floors/couches/beds and seems to take it a bit better on the changing table.
kd2012

Next

Return to General Pregnancy Chat