Is 3 months too young to introduce solids

Breastfeeding, Bottle, Introducing Solids, Weaning, Nutrition, Health.

Is 3 months too young to introduce solids

Postby firsttimer » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:22 am

I have been hearing and reading different reasons whether 3 months is too young to wean, some books say 6 months is time enough, others say 3 months, and baby food starts at 4 months in shops, so im slightly confused. people told me i would know when Jack was ready to start solids so today at 3months and 1 week i had a random feeling to try him with a wee bit, i texted a few friends to see what they thought and one said try it and if he doesnt like it to leave it for another few weeks, and one other said, dont even attempt to try it until past 4 months as his tummy is not developed enough for food. so two conflicting people who have both successfully weaned their own children and they are all fine and healthy. so i made up some baby rice and sat down with Jack and put some on my finger and stuck it in his mouth. the reaction i got from him was not expected at all!!!!!!!!!!

he burst out laughing and started trying to sit up and grab my hand for more! he wee fella had just finished a 7oz bottle of aptimal comfort milk and was now completly starving after about 10 minutes. so he finished about 7 baby spoons of baby rice and the eyeballs began to get heavy and weary and he slept for 4 hours after it :) girls he did not spit any back up, he did not puke, he did not make a face, he just kept begging for more.

so have i made the right decision in introducing solids because the person that said that his tummy is not developed is family and they are now angry with me that i may have harmed my baby by introducing food too quick and now he might get horrendous allergies.
:brickwall i cant win in what ever i do
firsttimer

Re: Is 3 months too young to introduce solids

Postby babyL » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:46 am

My DD was 9 weeks when I gave her baby rice! She was starving the whole time so my mam suggested giving her a small bit of rice to see if she'd settle better and it was great! I used to make it with her milk from her bottle that she was due and feed her and then gave her the rest of the bottle! So I wasn't over feeding her or cutting out her bottle! You'll always get people saying don't do this and don't do that but only you know what suits your baby and what makes him happy! Just stick to one spoon feed a day and the same time! As in give it a lunch or tea time :)
DD born 18/02/04
DS born 04/05/12
babyL

Postby firsttimer » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:26 pm

Thanks babyl i tried him with the feed again today and he completly rejected it so i just gave him a bottle instead. he woke from a long nap so i think he was just starving and needed food asap, no dilly dallying around :) the starver
firsttimer

Postby excitedmama » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:34 pm

I started my baby when he was 3 months and 3 weeks he seemed to be grand except some milk for the last week comes up after about 15 min after he finishes feed so I'm worried now... did I introduce food to early?????!!!!!! :?
I also read that after 2 weeks feeding once a day (best 11 a.m) you need to introduce a second feed (best 6 p.m.)
I also read that food should not be introduced until baby is 17 weeks old!!! as something is not developed yet..of course I read that after I started feeding him at 16 weeks!!!
I need to contact PHN asap as this possetting is really bothering me...... :(

excitedmama

Postby firsttimer » Tue May 01, 2012 10:39 pm

jack pukes up a little bit too but he is very settled since i started him on it, i feed him with a spoon at 11am cause he wants it then and what ever he doesnt finish i put into his bottle (baby rice) and he wolfs the bottle down then. so i see it as having hungrier baby milk rather than food. he took lots of food today and i think its because it resembled the consistancy of his milk rather than anything lumpier but it tasted different. so im gonna stick with my two little feeds of a teaspoon a day and stick whatever he doesnt finish into his bottle until he starts taking more. it is so hard to judge but he is gonna be 3months and 2 weeks this thursday and he is on 7oz bottles nearly every 2-3hours so once i feed him he seems to last till four hours a bit better
firsttimer

Postby excitedmama » Wed May 02, 2012 4:25 pm

So you are giving him just baby rice no fruit or veg yet?? I found this website very helpful www.spoonbyspoon.ie it has meal planer and great recipes!!!

excitedmama

Postby firsttimer » Wed May 02, 2012 10:42 pm

i just thought it was a good idea to start him with just the rice, ill stew up some apples tonight and give them to him tomorrow, maybe he will like them but will they not be really bitter for him?
firsttimer

Postby excitedmama » Thu May 03, 2012 6:11 pm

Well did he like his apple?? My little one doesn't...he loves pears!!! Try them they a bit sweeter! Also peaches are suitable for a 4 month olds...not sure what else tho.....oh and I give him bananas and blueberries for breakfast...I gave him a lick of melon and water melon as well :)
You were right to give just baby rice but you can start introducing veg and fruit slowly!

excitedmama

Postby firsttimer » Sat May 05, 2012 11:52 pm

instead of the apples i gave him pears instead and he loved it lots so i did up some more and froze it for him, today i tried him on rice at 11am and he wolfed it down but a friend came in and gave out stink to me for feeding him so young and ranted and raved and i said that if he is taking it and his tongue is not rejecting it and he is none the worse for wear but more settled and happy then it shouldnt be a problem, she left and wont speak to me saying that i am harming my child, he is nearly 3 months and three weeks now, she said not to start him until he is exactly 4 months old, so i will ignore her, i hate it when people think they are right about baby stuff when they have had a baby themselves, all babies are different and mine is a giant so he needs the extra wee bit of food.
i have aubergene, butternut squash, sweet potato, and a few other things i want to try him on.
am i doing him any harm in giving him this food too early or is this ok
firsttimer

Postby excitedmama » Sun May 06, 2012 4:30 pm

Oh I hate when everyone tels me whats best for my baby!!!!!!! I have his best interest at heart NO ONE cares about my baby as much as I do!!! So I think if you dont ask for advice people should keep treir opinions for themselfs!!! There I feel better now :lol:
So if you feel that he's doing great not getting sick not rejectig food then you are doind the rigt thing! I made my baby turnips and parsnips and he loved it! And pears are great so are bananas! :thumbsup

excitedmama

Return to Feeding Baby