Need to change food but how :)

Breastfeeding, Bottle, Introducing Solids, Weaning, Nutrition, Health.

Need to change food but how :)

Postby babyL » Wed May 16, 2012 9:44 am

Hi Girls well Max is getting hungrier by the day and I really think he needs stronger food! He's on 4oz of Sma gold every 3-4 hours during the day but seems starving still after it, he isn't great to get wind up either and was constipated yesterday! He is so good that I hate seeing him struggling to get wind up and going toilet! When he finishes his bottle during the day he sucks and sucks on his dummy till his next bottle! But the thing is he gets last bottle between 8-9 every night and wakes between 2-3 for another bottle and then doesn't stir till 8-9 in the morn so nights are fantastic and the food seems to satisfy him! But I do think he needs stronger food during the day! So I was going to change him to Sma white today but do I just swop food and carry on as normal or introduce the food slowly? I can't remember how I did it with My daughter!
DD born 18/02/04
DS born 04/05/12
babyL

Re: Need to change food but how :)

Postby MrsMcR » Wed May 16, 2012 10:10 am

I think he might be too young yet to change to stronger food. Sounds like he's content enough sucking on the dummy and if he's not screaming the house down I wouldn't worry about it. Have you got a Public Health Nurse near you? Maybe give her a shout and see what she thinks.
MrsMcR

Postby babyL » Wed May 16, 2012 11:02 am

Ye ive to bring him to her on Tuesday of next week so maybe I should leave him and see how he does till then! Thanks hunni I know he'd drink more if I let him but his tummy can't hold it, do that's why I taught he'd need hungrier food! He's not screaming place down just seems to be sucking dummy like he's still hungry! It's hit and miss with babies I'm guessing :) feels like he's my first as DD is 8 now and have forgotten a lot of it!
DD born 18/02/04
DS born 04/05/12
babyL

Postby MrsMcR » Wed May 16, 2012 11:26 am

Yeah eights years is a big difference, I'll hopefully be in the same boat as my only baby is 13 years old this year. Hoping to give him a brother or sister to play with!!!!!! I reckon Max is just a little sucker that's all. Sounds like he's being a little star anyway and go him letting his mammy and daddy have rest at night!
MrsMcR

Postby excitedmama » Wed May 16, 2012 10:09 pm

Hi babyL! Max sounds like great contented little baby!!! :baba
If you do decide to introduce hungrier baby food do it slowly! Because he is sooo good you dont want to ruin that! Or could you give him 5 oz insted of 4??

excitedmama

Postby wantone » Thu May 17, 2012 7:47 pm

Hi babyl what age is your little one? My ds was really hungry & struggled with wind, he was taking 4-5 oz on sma gold, but phn advised maybe putting him onto one of comfort foods....they for colic and constipation, he is now drinking 5-6oz of it & is thriving, its a lighter food so his little belly able for it etc. But your Max sounds like he doing great, maybe would you try drop of cooled boiled water for his constipation??
http://pregnancy.baby-gaga.com/]Image[/url]
wantone

Postby babyL » Fri May 18, 2012 5:11 am

Thanks girls, Ye I decided not to change his food as he's doing so well at night! I really don't wana ruin it! Ive been giving him cooled boiled water and seems to be doing trick for constipation, and I'm giving him infacol to help with wind, how long do you keep giving it to him for though? As I'd like him not to be. Reliant on it or is it harmless enough that he won't !
DD born 18/02/04
DS born 04/05/12
babyL

Postby wantone » Fri May 18, 2012 9:56 pm

We give infacol also, and the phn told me its harmless and give it as long as he needs, I think once they hit 3 mths their little bellies are much more able to cope with everything. We tried to stop the infacol and our little ds was in awful way with wind so I don't advise that, if its working for your lo stay with it. :goodluck
http://pregnancy.baby-gaga.com/]Image[/url]
wantone

Postby babyL » Fri May 18, 2012 10:23 pm

Thanks hunni, my phn is useless and hard to get on phone so delighted you answered my question xxx hope you and babs are well xxx
DD born 18/02/04
DS born 04/05/12
babyL

Postby sahithya » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:45 am

How And When to Introduce Solid Foods?
You can mash the vegetables like carrot, sweet potato, parsnip and yam. Add milk and start giving him.
Your baby must be ready to swallow the food to introduce solid foods.
sahithya

Postby Purplebiz » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:36 am

Sahithya, if you are breastfeeding the guidelines say don't introduce. Solid food until six months. Not sure about if they are formula feed. Annabel Karmel has a great book about introducing solid food to babies. Solid must be pureed as opposed to just mashed. Mashed bits could have lumps and be a choking hazard.
Purplebiz

Return to Feeding Baby