Cows milk??

Breastfeeding, Bottle, Introducing Solids, Weaning, Nutrition, Health.

Cows milk??

Postby MrsS11 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:08 am

I have a question about cows milk??? My lo is 7 and a half months. Anyway according to the annabel karmel book it's fine to give cows milk when making up breakfast cereal from 6 months old. So I was making up ready brek or Ella's kitchen porridge with the whole super milk for my lo's breakfast. I then read somewhere that it has too much protein for babies and they're not able to digest it. I asked my Phn and she said I should only be using a splash to soften food and that there's salt in it (this never occurred to me!) so now I don't know what to do. My lo is on a thickened formula so I don't want to use that to make up her breakfast as it would just be like gloop! I did buy a couple of cartons of pre made follow on milk but that could turn out to be very expensive. So I'm curious to see what others are doing or have done?? Does anyone else use cows milk for breakfast??
MrsS11

Re: Cows milk??

Postby HoneyBee » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:32 pm

I use super milk too! And defo more than a splash, I use it to make Weetabix soggy & to microwave her porridge and we've had no problems. I actually used a decent amount of milk the other day to make a batch of rice pudding for her, never occurred to me it would be an issue. I'd say its fine, its not like you're feeding her rashers or something, a little salt in things like milk should be okay, so long as you're not adding salt to any meals you prep.
Can I ask mrs s do you gift your lo cooked meat slices? Am trying to find new finger foods all the time & lo seems really interested in grabbing my lunch sambo, so am wondering if I can give her slices of ham/turkey chicken etc?
HoneyBee

Postby MrsS11 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:24 pm

Thanks for your reply I think il go back to using the super milk it's much handier. I've been using it in cheese sauces anyway for her.
I haven't tried cooked meats yet with her just because I never thought of it but I think i will give it a go! I'm presuming just not meat with fat going through it. It's exciting trying new finger food with her!
MrsS11

Postby HoneyBee » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:47 pm

Yeah I love seeing her face with new things, she's become so good at finger foods the past week or so, tbh it prob helps that ive relaxed & let her grab what she wants from our plates - within reason! But yeah I'm thinking a little ham sandwich might be a nice lunch for her for a change from mashed foods or hot meals.
Have you given your lo omelette or scrambled eggs yet? My lo loves eggs & toast & I find she manages the toast better when I use cookie cutters to make it into shapes - prob cause its easier to hold/lots of angles to bite into! I could be setting myself up for a kid who'll only eat teddy bear, star, heart, shamrock shaped bread though ha ha
HoneyBee

Postby MrsS11 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:23 pm

Haha I know!! I have given her fingers of toast with unsalted butter and scrambled eggs. She can't quite grab the eggs though even though she tries her best it's a bit small so I end up giving her spoons of it in between her trying to eat her toast. I've given her fusilli pasta to eat from my plate with pasta sauce and I've given her sticks of carrot, parsnip and potato. In saying that 90% of it ends up on the floor!! Have u tried baked beans I was going to given them a go I presume they're ok?
MrsS11

Postby HoneyBee » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:56 pm

Yeah lo regularly has Heinz low salt sugar beans with baked potato - loves it!!
And this never occurred to me but my lo just has normal dairy gold on her toast - never even thought about the salt??!
HoneyBee

Postby MrsS11 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:31 pm

I'm sure it's grand sure as u said its not like you're giving her rashers! It's probably only a scraping anyway it's not going to make a whole lot of difference. That's great to know its hard to think of lunches cos I'm usually giving her two meals of meat and veg so I'm giving her two dinners every day.. It sounds like your lo is a great eater!!
MrsS11

Postby HoneyBee » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:48 pm

She'd eat the hand off you!! Now if I could only get her to drink milk as well as she mills solids is be grand!
HoneyBee

Return to Feeding Baby