Breastfeeding how long?

Breastfeeding, Bottle, Introducing Solids, Weaning, Nutrition, Health.

Breastfeeding how long?

Postby Purplebiz » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:34 pm

Hi girls just wondering how long roughly would each feed last when breast feeding your newborn? Do they get quicker at drinking as they get older? Feeding is going really well and I am enjoying it but people have been telling me my little one is feeding too long each feed. It takes her forty mins plus each feed. Just wondering what the norm is?
Purplebiz

Re: Breastfeeding how long?

Postby GalwaysGirl » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:11 pm

Very individual id say. Mine my go 10 mins sometime then could stay half hr sometimes.

Tell anyone to f**k off with s nice smile. None their bees wax. Once baby happy & has lots wet and dirty nappies your bf is going perfectly for you! There's no set rules with bf.:)
GalwaysGirl

Postby lean87 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:14 pm

Hi purple,
This is just my own experience but my little one used to feed about 15-20min every feed from about 1 1/2weeks old.
Xx
lean87

Postby Kcsmrs » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:23 pm

I haven't had my baby yet but was told at a breast feeding workshop in the hospital that 40 mins and longer in the beginning is normal and that baby will feed for as long as it needs. They did say that the time will decrease as baby gets more efficient at it. It sounds like it's going perfectly for you, I hope I'm as lucky

Kcsmrs

Postby tippergirl » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:54 pm

My lo would feed for 20-30 mins @ a time purple & I know I was lucky that she would feed for that length of time because a lot of breast fed babies feed for longer. I was always led to believe that at the start a breastfed baby could take up to 40 mins on a feed.

I agree with Galway let them mind their own business. Once your baby is fed & happy what business is it of anyone else how long that takes. Plus your lo is still very young & the feeding time might start to reduce.
[/url]
tippergirl

Postby babypanda » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:09 am

Hi purple,
My lo initially would feed for 45min or so. I found it so time consuming but it got better and better. It now takes about 15min at most.
Like the other girls said, as long as baby is happy, don't mind what people are telling you. It will get faster!
babypanda

Postby Purplebiz » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:38 am

Thanks girls, they said in hospital that she should spend forty mins feeding and so did PHN I usually don't listen to what other people say. I am learning and getting to know my little lady I am not afraid to admit that but when a few people said it I begAn to doubt myself.then I was annoyed that I did doubt myself. I don't mind the length of time at the moment. She is gaining weight so I know the feeding is going well but sometimes it's nice to get the reassurance.
So all your responses really helped.
Purplebiz

Postby justCANTwait » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:42 am

Thats it, it doesn't dont worry about others. 40mins sounds totally right.my 'baby' now 18 months who I still feed twice a day has mastered the art of feeding for 5 mins each side.totally individual. Good luck purple and congrats.
justCANTwait

Return to Feeding Baby