cluster Feeding

Breastfeeding, Bottle, Introducing Solids, Weaning, Nutrition, Health.

cluster Feeding

Postby belladonna » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:14 am

Hello ladies, my 12 day old is cluster feeding from 6 to 10 or 11 each evening and waking for feeds at 1, 3, 5, and 7, often taking ages to settle after each. I've tried giving him a formula bottle at 11 to settle him but he doesn't like it and it makes him windy. By contrast he feeds v little during the day ....should I be waking him to feed him then?

Thanks ... Suffering from sleep deprivation!!! :shock:
belladonna

Re: cluster Feeding

Postby GalwaysGirl » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:05 am

12 days old I would just follow their queues. Especially with bf you ll need to feed on demand ideally. I wouldn't put stress on yourself by trying to put baby in a routine yet. Baby's digest breast milk in 90 mins so they NEED to feed during the night. Sleep during the day and your body starts to get used to waking for feeds which will become less are longer gaps in time.

When they a few days old they say make u feed every 3 hrs but as they age longer gaps are ok. If it was 4.5 hrs + id try feed or feed as baby sleeping.
GalwaysGirl

Postby Luvmymunchkin » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:09 pm

Hi u sound like your doing great,its very hard going at the start!i would say for one day even try maybe gently waking and feed during the day as much as u can if he takes it.my girl would feed nearly all day and night at the start and the only break id get was when oh give formula 3/4 oz at 11/12 and I'd sleep but the formula wud keep her maybe 3-4 hrs.try holdin him so he is kind of sitting up rather than lying back when giving the bottle to stop wind.i also had a towel under the mattress in the Moses basket to slightly tilt it up which is supposed to help with wind.it is just hard when u r tired and u feel like u can't do anything but it does pass.if he still feed the same at night id say ask oh or some one close mum sister friend etc to come for a morning even and mind baby and just literally feed him and then ask them to just stay while u rest.at least u wud b close enough so they cud bring baba down when he want u.hope that makes sense!

Luvmymunchkin

Postby HoneyBee » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:57 pm

Agree with the above - with bf you do have to feed on demand but try sleep as much as possible when baby sleeps.
At night try the lying down feeding so you can rest & during the day maybe think about a sling/wearing baby?
At this age the 3/3.5 hrs is the longest they suggest a bf baby goes and if they feed well at those intervals during the day you can let them go up to 6 hrs at night.
My lo was very sleepy newborn to the point we had to set alarms on phones to wake her for feeds & even then it was a battle - we'd have to strip her down/tickle her feet etc to get a few oz into her!
As they get bigger you'll notice they feed much better faster, they are much more efficient at drinking quicker and draining the breast faster and you'll notice the times stretching out too.
Hope you get some rest tonight :)
HoneyBee

Postby belladonna » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:32 am

Thank you all ... Nothing seems to satisfy him. Formula isn't making him sleep,at all. The most he will sleep at night is 1.5 hours at a go. Tonight he's been feeding from 1am and it's now 3.30'... Not quite sure what to do. Getting no rest whatsoever
belladonna

Postby GalwaysGirl » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:54 am

Sounds like he doesn't have his night & day figured out yet. They say during day have it bright & noisy & then maybe a bath to wind down at night. Bring them to dark room for last feed , don't talk to baby & then put them to bed.

So he's 17days old now? Really try not expect too much, they still don't know the world around them! In the beginning I used go for a nap about 8pm to prep me for the night. Makes u feel prepared for the night madness!

Also gro bags are great for when baby big enough . Keeps them toasty to sleep longer.

Alternatively you could co sleep. Co sleeping parents seem to get the best sleep. And just leave boob out. Id drop the formula if the only reason is to get him to sleep. You'll probably need to get him used to day/night first. Saying that there's few girls with formula babies doing their own thing . Unfortunately we've to fit into their scheduled for a while until they figure it all out!
GalwaysGirl

Postby Jess » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:01 am

I agree with Galway drop the formula during night I started giving a formula bottle at night at the start to make her sleep longer but she didn't and it's easier to breast feed during night as Galway says have baby beside you leave boob out baby will find it we all get great sleeps now I know with baby only waking once for quick feed :) some people don't like the idea of co sleeping and to be honest I was beating myself up about it but I think it's a lot better than no sleep at all and my other two didn't co sleep but when they were old enough to get out of bed they both always came into us so it'll prob happen that your lo will be in with you at some stage :) good luck hope you get some rest :)
Jess

Return to Feeding Baby