Breastfeeding and work :-(

Breastfeeding, Bottle, Introducing Solids, Weaning, Nutrition, Health.

Breastfeeding and work :-(

Postby Luvmymunchkin » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:33 pm

Hi girls,hoping for some ideas tips etc. originally had planned to combination feed and be weaned to formula by the time I went back to work but have been almost exclusively bf apart from a handful of times I was away for a feed and he had formula-I am not really into pumping.

So back to work in 3weeks and I am so confused as to how to do it!!i am going to be working 3days gone from 8.30-6.30 so 10 hrs (nearly in tears now already)

So I do want to keep breastfeeding but would like to VERY slowly wean so I could even do a morning/night feed at the end for a while?we have no very set routine its pretty relaxed so I don't know what times to tell my mum (she will be minding) or how many oz etc.

would I just pump at lunch and feed him the minute I get home?

How do I store the bm at work?the fridge is really shitty and only has a tiny freezer shelf?would that be bad for the milk?

Am I entitled to time to pump apart from lunch?

If I pump in to a sterilised bottle how long does it keep?I think I will give a formula bottle first then the pumped milk from the day before and keep giving the formula feed when I'm off at the same time?

I feel so clueless as dd weaned at 16weeks and it was on her own terms where this feels more my doing :-( also dd was in a much more obvious routine!

(Sorry for all the questions at once and thanks in advance :-)!!!)

Luvmymunchkin

Re: Breastfeeding and work :-(

Postby FourEyes » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:43 pm

Sorry i can't help with the weaning question but one of these would be great to store the milk you pump in work:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Medela-Cooler-B ... B003IT66YY
I have one and it stays cold for hours. Best of luck with getting back to work. It'll get easier x
FourEyes

Postby Itwillhappen » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:01 am

Hi Munchkin I gradually weaned and my supply adapted I used to feed morning and night then baba had formula during day. It ended sooner than I would have liked as my Lo dropped her night feed just before 6 months if I remember right(and at that stage I had weaned to just night feed). I'd start now dropping feeds for bottle when you have 3 weeks to start getting used to it. My boobs were very sore for a few days when I started to drop feeds so be careful of that and express a little off if you need.
I never pumped at worked but I think you could get away with pumping once during the day you might just feel a little full the first day or two but your body should adapt. Or maybe try expressing if possible at home over the next few weeks around your lunch break to get into the routine.
I follows online guides for weight and age for formula amounts but my Lo would never take the recommended amount and still doesn't but she's thriving so it's trial and error.She would probably take 6or7 oz per feed and has 4 bottles a day. At night she will take maybe 8 or 9 oz. she's taken the same amount since she was 5 months and is now near 8 months.
Every baby is different I guess so best of luck and you've done a great job so far so just take it as it comes. Hope you can continue to bf for as long as you both want. Formula is great but breast is definitely best I found x
Itwillhappen

Postby GalwaysGirl » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:09 pm

So he'll be 6 months old?

They say an oz for every hour. I pump in work, I have to for my own comfort!

If you go back to work before 6 months your legally entitled to I think 2 hrs per day??

I would also request a new fridge. Tell them what it's for. It would be a very shitty employers not to supply a working fridge if not illegal!
GalwaysGirl

Postby Luvmymunchkin » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:30 pm

Thanks girls only getting a chance to reply now.that is so cool four eyes I never seen one of them,,v handy they have them in boots online too so think il invest ;)

Will have to drop one feed I think il start Monday.i keep putting it off as we r really so used to just feeding.its strange how addictive it is I will be very emotional when this stage is over :-/

Do you just pump at lunch Galway?do you still feed when your off and at night?do you sterilise the pumping work?sorry am asking such random things!!ds wil b 23 weeks when I'm back so I rang citizens advice and you right you get an hr without loss of pay can be taken in 3x20 2x30 or 1x60 mins until baby is 26 weeks.would be great to take the hour in the evening and get home earlier for the three weeks.i think your right about the fridge!!Ive been there over ten years and we have the same little half fridge it has definitely seen its day! I'm sure it's grand for cows milk but not sure about my milk lol!

Luvmymunchkin

Postby iwishiwas » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:12 pm

Oh enjoy ur last few weeks, and don't worry too much bout it. Iv done 3weeks at work now. Pump at lunch break and I usually get 5-7oz in ten min leaving me 20min for lunch, tried pumping my whole 30min a few times but never got any more milk. Still feed LO on demand out of work hours, good long rewarding feed when we reunite after work. Don't let work be the reason u stop feeding, ur supply will adjust amazingly, I never wanted to pump but here I am and it's ok knowing my LO will has some of my milk while we're appart. I just bring a cooler bag to work and a hand pump, and a ice try thing, no fridge. Don't clean pump until I get home in evenings. Like u I planned on slow weaning to combined feeding but I just couldn't face it in the end as bf was going so well (and is slightly addictive) my goal was 3months and were still on a roll
iwishiwas

Postby GalwaysGirl » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:08 pm

You don't need to steralise as breast milk is sterile. Just a good soak in boiling water for a good clean.
If you look on the medicare site there's a super pumping travel bag with extra bottles and cooler bag etc
I just feed on demand when I'm with him. I didn't do anything to prepare for for me going back to work. He was 10 months and just drank water and food.
They say by 10/11 months once they see getting 4 good feeds in 24 hours that's all they need!
I don't pump on lunch, I just pop to the nurses office at bout 2 for 20 mins. No one's every given me time restriction s! I'm the only single person in the company pumping anyway so it's like I'm going to start a grand of extra breaks for us lactating working mothers! ;)

You won't need much to build a stash. Once you pump at work that can be used the following day for baby. So if you just have a few days grace in freezer for emergency you'll be sorted!
GalwaysGirl

Postby GalwaysGirl » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:11 pm

Back to work and breastfeeding (Ireland) ....great fb group, join it and you'll find loads women in sane boat and how it's possible!
GalwaysGirl

Postby Luvmymunchkin » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:13 pm

Thanks for that girls,its just what I wanted to hear. Its very reassuring that ye didn't have to change to much!Fingers crossed it will go smoothly for me.it still feels like its not happening,like its so weird to be going back. We have been in such a happy bubble (most of the time lol!!)
I suppose il be starting his solids shortly so it will help also.i might be back in a few weeks with more questions :-D

Luvmymunchkin

Return to Feeding Baby