How much should a Toddler drink a day?

Breastfeeding, Bottle, Introducing Solids, Weaning, Nutrition, Health.

How much should a Toddler drink a day?

Postby Birdy2 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:54 am

Hi

My DS is 19 months and a great little eater. But most days he hardly drinks anything. I give him milk/water with his meals which often go untouched and I make sure it's available/offer it to him throughout the day. We really should be dropping his bedtime bottle but I'm afraid he'll become really dehydrated because he doesn't seem to drink much at all throughout the day. any advice appreciated!

:thanks
Birdy2

Re: How much should a Toddler drink a day?

Postby Luvmymunchkin » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:12 pm

I often wondered myself about this but if u keep an eye on the colour of his wee it should be fairly clear/pale yellow. My dd doesn't drink as much as she used to either but all fluid counts so milk in cereal,soups,fruit etc all keep them hydrated.i give dd a cup of milk in the morning sometimes she downs it, sometimes she's not bothered and give her water to carry around,she doesn't really take much of it tho!milk or water with dinner then leave her water there to grab and a cup of milk with supper before bed too.somedays she drinks very little but she might wake up the next morning very thirsty then.i suppose it balances out?
We used to give dd a bottle at 11.30 every night I was so afraid to stop it then one night i just did and she was fine. Then when she was a year old we stopped bottles altogether which was kind of scary but if u do drop the bottle u will see the next morning he will probably down his drink!!if he was really thirsty he would definitely let you know.if u tried it one night and felt ye weren't happy with it just go back to it again the next night.theres no right way r wrong way with it everyone seems to be very different,trial and error!
Congrats on your pregnancy aswel :-D

Luvmymunchkin

Postby Birdy2 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:22 pm

Thanks Luvmymunchkin. Glad to here your little girl is similar. In reality they're probably all the same. They're so busy going about their day! ;) will just continue to offer it and see.
And thank you :) congrats to you on your little man :)
Birdy2

Postby baby2015 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:54 pm

Average guide used in hospital
100mls oer kg for the first 10kg
50mls per kg for the next 10kg
25mls per kg for the next 10kg
baby2015

Return to Feeding Baby