Breastfeeding : Support & Advice

Breastfeeding, Bottle, Introducing Solids, Weaning, Nutrition, Health.

Re: Breastfeeding : Support & Advice

Postby Shoelover » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:07 pm

Girls I'm not really sure what to Make of it. She said baby has tension on her left side and down the middle from vacuum delivery. She wants us to go back in a week but it's an hours drive and more money I hadn't accounted for. Maybe I'm just too tired at the min and starting to give up hope. Has anyone had any experience of going to an osteopath or the like?
Shoelover

Postby tippergirl » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:10 pm

Was this woman recommended by the lactation consultant? I have heard they often look to see a baby a few time's if they think they can help but there's no definites that they'd fix things. We brought our lo for cranial sacral therapy which helps with alignment etc but I just did one session.
[/url]
tippergirl

Postby Shoelover » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:17 pm

Yes she was recommended but only because she was the closest one to us not because she had any affiliation with her. I thought it would just be one session and I think for these things to work u have to believe in them and at the minute I don't !
Shoelover

Postby tippergirl » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:27 pm

I can see why you're sceptical of it. I was too. I've heard great thing's about them but then it just doesn't make any difference for other's. How is your lo after today's session? Is she relaxed/sleepy?

Do you have a friend/relative that has experience of bf? I had my sister stand over me for a full day to help with the latch each time and it really helped. It might be all you need?. Well done for persevering with it.
[/url]
tippergirl

Postby Shoelover » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:39 pm

Well we are still in the car so she's asleep and sleeps in the car regardless.

No my sis tried BF but her little fella had tongue tie and she was expressing but he was too hungry so she gave up. I think I'm just going to keep trying for a month and if it doesn't happen then so be it I gave it my best shot
Shoelover

Postby tippergirl » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:49 pm

You'll get there you're trying so hard and lots of people would have given up by now so fair play to you. She'll probably just get the swing of it some day out of nowhere.
[/url]
tippergirl

Postby LydiaHopeful » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:58 pm

Oh shoe you poor thing and you are trying so hard. I cant give u much advice but i had vaccum delivery and my lo didnt latch for first day i felt it was because she was a bit traumatised from it all. However she did latch next day i kinda hand expressed milk into her mouth and she copped on pretty quick.

at end of day you have given her great start by pumping dont beat yourself up you are doinf super. I think pumping is 10 times harder than breastfeeding so you are brilliant for keeping it up. Good luck with the latch
LydiaHopeful

Postby GalwaysGirl » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:38 pm

I think osteopaths are highly rated. But if an hour away, you could probably find one closer yourself?

As mentioned cranial sacral therapy (sp) ment to be great!

Are you supposed see lc again?

Is baby drinking from breast at all now?
GalwaysGirl

Postby Itwillhappen » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:27 am

You're doing a great job shoe and you've given her the best start. I have no experience with osteopath but I admit I would be sceptical too.Hopefully it makes a difference though :)
You could always use formula along with expressed milk if it's becoming too much.any breastmilk is a bonus x most important thing is happy baby and happy mammy xx
Itwillhappen

Postby Shoelover » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:16 am

No she hasn't taken to the breast at all. Just doesn't know what to do and lc said she will do it eventually. I'm at the end of my tether between that and her throwing up almost every feed and not sleeping. I've cried every day since I came home. I thought this was supposed to be a happy time and I'm miserable!
Shoelover

Postby tippergirl » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:41 am

Do you have a sling shoelover she might benefit from being kept upright after a feed and being close to you might help her nap. Don't be hard on yourself hun, a newborn baby is a lot of hard work and you're wrecked tired and hormones are raging. Be good to yourself and let others help you with the other stuff. Big hugs!
[/url]
tippergirl

Postby Shoelover » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:15 pm

Thanks tipper. I normally keep her upright on my chest for a while to get her to sleep first.
Shoelover

Postby tippergirl » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:19 pm

If you can do that for 20-30 minutes after each feed it might help with bringing up a feed, raising her basket at the head end might help too. I hope she's more settled today!
[/url]
tippergirl

Postby Shoelover » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:57 pm

Thanks tipper I've raised the head of her mattress too x
Shoelover

Postby Itwillhappen » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:51 pm

The first few weeks are so tough shoelover we've all been there but it does get easier. I was so shocked by how hard it was I think for me it Was mostly due to lack of sleep. Try to nap when you can and let people clean, cook etc for you if they offer.
I Agree with tipper keep her upright for a while after each feed it should help. I also raised the head of the mattress. There's not much more you can do except speak to nurse or doctor if you're concerned xx
Itwillhappen

Postby Luvmymunchkin » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:07 pm

Shoelover u r doing amazing.its not easy very emotional time.how u are feeling now I know exactly as I has a tough time with bf dd1.you should be proud of what you have done and take each day as a bonus and whether dd latches or not she has had great antibodies got already.do whatever you need to to make life easier.try not to worry about the vomiting up feeds,as it always looks far more than it is and is she is gaining weight its nothing to worry about unless she seems bothered or in pain obviously!
I spent months worrying with dd1 and my dad used to say if the baby is happy, content and alert and sleeping there is nothing wrong and its so true!its only when u look back though its easy to see but at the start your just constantly panickin!!well I was anyway!it really gets easier but the first 6 weeks are massive learning curve for us all and every baby has their own little challenges. Hope u get some little breaks for yourself now and then :-)

Luvmymunchkin

Postby Shoelover » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:27 pm

Thanks all. Part of me just wants to jack it in and just formula feed!! I didn't get to try her on the boob at all today. I think it's just too disheartening.
Shoelover

Postby tippergirl » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:58 pm

I got to that point with my lo because of issues with reflux so I totally understand how you feel. Don't be hard on yourself whatever you decide. You're still doing your best for your lo no matter what way you feed her and you've given her a great start.
[/url]
tippergirl

Postby Shoelover » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:12 pm

I'm just so disappointed that it's not going the way I thought it would. I'll keep trying though
Shoelover

Postby iwishiwas » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:44 pm

Shoelover iv just tried to catch up there on all the posts.
My advice is emotions will take over your brain at this time so write down what you want from this and stick to it. You could be going through some hormonal withdrawals now too, just look after yourself.
Breastfeeding is hard and I struggled so much for months not just days, I had my mam with me everyday until we got our latch right. It's important to make sure ur feed and rested and then just feck everything and spend time trying to latch. Get into bed together be topless and just allow ur baby rest next to you, offer your breast as often as possible. I know it's hard but going a day without trying is not going to help you, I'd suggest if it's a bad day just do skin to skin. I know I sound mean but if it's something u want keep ur Chin up it will get easier. All that said you know your limit and do what's best for yourself too xxx thinking of you xxx
iwishiwas

PreviousNext

Return to Feeding Baby