Breastfeeding : Support & Advice

Breastfeeding, Bottle, Introducing Solids, Weaning, Nutrition, Health.

Re: Breastfeeding : Support & Advice

Postby Natalie347 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:31 am

MrsPineapple wrote:Hi Galwaysgirl, yes I wear dark clothes & breastpads and can leak through them! I use the boots pads Are there better pads?
I do bf in public but it is not always possible. Maybe I should try it more often instead of pumping ahead of time!

Yeah, breastfeeding in public can sometimes be hard for a mother. And a baby can also sense nervousness. Intolerant people making comments are one of the few cons of breastfeeding in public. But it has more advantages anyway!
Natalie347

Postby Mommy2Be2016 » Wed May 04, 2016 9:46 am

Hi ladies, does anyone know if there are breastfeeding classes in CUMH? I am booked in to a private class but I heard the hospital provide classes too and the more you go to the better.
Mommy2Be2016

Postby Purplebiz » Wed May 04, 2016 10:00 pm

I am happy to jump on. I bf my first for fourteen months. Other than the first week I loved every minute of it. Great opportunity to make mammy sit down and relax with baby feeding. She self weaned when I got pregnant. Determination was key for me to keep going at the beginning. I am looking forward to a whole new be journey
Purplebiz

Postby Hopeful2013 » Thu May 05, 2016 11:21 pm

Hey girls, the extended breastfeeding in Ireland Facebook page is great for advice. Only wish I knew about it in the early weeks. Still feeding almost 21 month old here (have started weaning last few weeks so no day feeds anymore)! I only intended to feed to 6/8 weeks! It's a journey but one that gets easier and more enjoyable with time. It is so handy and great way to get baby to sleep!
Hopeful2013

Postby GalwaysGirl » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:18 pm

Hey hopeful my bf sista! 21months! Are you still going now? I'm still trucking at 22.5 months! No sign stopping yet :)
GalwaysGirl

Postby Purplebiz » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:12 pm

Great to see this thread up and going girls! That group is amazing for support and normalising bf. Fair play girls for bf so long. My lg self weaned at 15 mths but it was due to my bfp. I never had timeline on finish completing bf my lg but I just assumed i would last three/four months.
Purplebiz

Postby Hopeful2013 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:01 pm

Hey Galway! Well done u! Yep still going strong here! Had cut down majorly a month or 2 ago but then she got sick and only bo bo would work and feeding a lot more since that - and she's 2 in Thursday! Will try either day or night wean again in couple weeks! What's ur plans? Natural weaning? My AF only returned 2 months ago. Was going to start ttc at end summer but might put that back a few months! Do u cosleep?

Well done purplebiz, 15 months is great! Did ur milk disappear? At what stage? Congratulations on ur pregnancy! When are u due?
Hopeful2013

Postby GalwaysGirl » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:50 pm

Sorry never saw this till now!!
My period came back in February I think. Bf still, Co sleepy still :) love it all. He's the cuddliest monkey.
Natural weaning yes.... Aka couldn't be arsed making him stop and it just doesn't bother me. He doesn't look for it other than at home really.

Congrats on the 15 months purple biz!

And congrats in the positive for you to hopeful!! :)
GalwaysGirl

Postby Kcsmrs » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:03 pm

Hi ladies, I might post a separate topic but thought I'd try here first. Just wondering if anyone has breastfed baby no. 2 yet and how it was similar/different to the experience with no.1? I attended a breastfeeding class last time, watched videos, read loads of advice etc. and it worked great for us. I haven't done any of those things this time and it's only occurring to me now (39 weeks tomorrow!) that it might not come to me as easily as I expect. We did have a few issues - DD lost weight and was hospitalised with dehydration at 4 days old. I feel this was caused by a very long and difficult labour but it's going to be a concern this time. I also had a fast let down the entire time I breastfed and was wondering if others found their bodies behaved the same 2nd time round.

Kcsmrs

Postby Itwillhappen » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:28 pm

Hi Kcsmrs not long now how exciting!!
My experience has been pretty similar this time only I have found it easier as I know what to expect. No issues luckily and I Didn't get time for classes or anything beforehand either, didn't have a minute.
Only thing I did differently was giving a bottle of expresses milk or formula (whichever was available) before bedtime so I could get a block of sleep because I just couldn't cope with round the clock feeding, no sleep and my toddler to face the next day. It didn't affect my supply and still feeding him now and he's almost 6 months.
Good luck :)
Itwillhappen

Postby Kcsmrs » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:40 pm

Thanks for your response itwillhappen, it's very reassuring. I'm hoping that my experience last time will make it easier this time but I feel I'm being a bit naive. I remember being really enthusiastic to express milk so others could give the odd bottle to DD and more often than not spent ages expressing and then ended up giving the bottle myself! I don't expect to use the pump much but I might have a formula stash ready in case the opportunity arises to escape to bed for a few hours!

Hope all is well with you x

Kcsmrs

Postby Hopeful2013 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:03 pm

Thanks Galway! Will be interesting to see how my supply dwindles in this pregnancy. I feel bad for her that it'll disappear as it's such a comfort for her but lots of days I feel ready to wean. She was great for a while but the last month or so she shouts for it everywhere. Soon as I pick her up after work she has hands down my top. It's a long day in fairness away from each other so I don't mind. You're doing great so! It is so handy tho in so many ways! Not once since she has been born have we been up in the morning before 7:20 (usually later) thanks to bo bo! Lol

Kcs good luck and congratulations! Hope u have another good experience. Keep us updated how you go! I never attended classes, read books etc and I'm still at it 2 years later but I only have the one. Also Galway pointed me in the direction of extended breastfeeding Ireland Facebook and it is great for advice - even for the early mornings mths. I hope I have a smooth BF journey with this baba (early days as I'm only coming up on 6 weeks pregnant)

Well done itwillhappen on feeding 2 babas! And congratulations! How is the transition from one to two?!
Hopeful2013

Postby GalwaysGirl » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:50 pm

For the fast let down laid back feeding is supposed to be best as gravity help baby just take what they want.

I wouldn't be arsed pumping if you don't need too. There is a cool new pump they're all raving about on the ebi page. I seach haakaa on amazon... Or haakaa UK on Facebook.
You basically attach it to the other boob when baby having a feed and it is collects milk. It's only 16 pound.
GalwaysGirl

Postby Purplebiz » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:14 pm

I expressed a good bit with my first. Victim of the freezer stash. I am going to look at the haakaa. I have seen everyone rave about it on ebi. I have to say I didn't enjoy expressing. In the end I had to throw some out as it went out of date. In saying that I like the idea of having a little milk frozen.
EBI is brilliant site but be warned formula is a bad word there. In saying that the ladies are always there 24hrs with support and advice and definitely reckon that a lot of people remain bf as a result of the site.

Hoping my Initial days of feeding a newborn are easier this time around.
Purplebiz

Postby Itwillhappen » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:04 am

That haakaa pump sounds great! Yes dont mention formula on that forum or there'll be war bit ott but it can be helpful in other ways .
I'm lucky I had a good supply both times and it adjusted when I decided to give a bottle before bed to get extra rest. Totally get what you mean about ending up being the one giving the bottle but it was still worth it for me. Pumping didn't work for me because I couldnt find the time.
Going from 1 to 2 hasn't been as bad or scary as I imagined. There are some pull your hair out moments when they are both getting tired or hungry but I find if I plan ahead and stick to a routine then it generally runs smoothly :)
Itwillhappen

Postby Kcsmrs » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:27 pm

I'll have to join that group. I fed DD for 7 months and would love to go longer this time if I could. I really enjoyed breastfeeding but detested pumping and I think I would've continued for longer if expressing worked better for me.

Kcsmrs

Postby GalwaysGirl » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:07 pm

I never pumped..... Detested it! Not even when went back to work at 10months.
Small lie actually I did have to pump some for comfort but only till it settled and that milk just ended up being frozen and is possibly still in my freezer! He had no interest in it!
So don't feel you've to pump.. Like ever!!
GalwaysGirl

Postby Number2PG » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:33 pm

Number2PG

Previous

Return to Feeding Baby