Positive breastfeeding stories

Breastfeeding, Bottle, Introducing Solids, Weaning, Nutrition, Health.

Positive breastfeeding stories

Postby Dochas » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:11 pm

Hi ladies, I was just wondering if anyone would like to share their positive experiences of breastfeeding? All I hear is negativity around it and while I understand that of course it's difficult, particularly at the beginning, it's making me dread trying when the time comes (in about 3 weeks fx)! Tia for any positive stories :)
Dochas

Re: Positive breastfeeding stories

Postby tippergirl » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:29 pm

I only did it for 3 months dochas but we were lucky and it worked out fine for us and that was with our lo being in neonatal for the first two nights of her life. If we had another I'd like to do it for longer. Being an inexperienced ftm made me give it up for a reason other than breastfeeding.
[/url]
tippergirl

Postby clairesy » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:19 pm

Dochas, at the beginning I had a love/hate relationship with breastfeeding. The first 6 weeks when baby is building your supply and you seem to never be off the sofa, is tough work. But when your baby becomes more alert and they smile at you mid feed, or rub your chest when they're feeding, it makes it all worth while.
It's tough not getting to share night feeds etc, but I'm the sort of person who would have been awake if hubby was doing night (control freak) even though this is hard, part of me relishes the fact that only I can feed him. It's quite amazing what our bodies can do and I love watching him grow into a healthy boy knowing that my body is nourishing him. It also meant that I got more cuddles as people couldn't take him off me to give a bottle!
I have expressed many times and it's great to gets wee break or a night out.
Also I'm back from holiday and I didn't need to bring a thing with me for him. I just fed him everywhere. ;)
My wee man is five months and we're still going. I still threaten occasionally to give in and give formula when the sleepless nights get too much, but the rush of love I feel for him when he latches on is unexplainable! I love these special cuddles and even though I went into hospital unsure of whether I was going to breastfeed or not, I'm so glad I did.
clairesy

Postby Luvmymunchkin » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:55 pm

Its really amazing dochas once u just learn what works for you.main thing is to feed as often as you can and get the latch right to avoid getting engorged or sore nipples.if u can get through the first 2weeks it gets easier.i suppose on here people usually come to look for help with problems so u probably read a lot of things that sound doom and gloom!i think if u do what you can to get by and do what works for u,there is no right or wrong.u can give bottles here and there if u need a break.every baby is different.i love breastfeeding even when it did hurt and when ur tired u get through it!u will never regret trying it and if its not workin out then u can always change to formula.
I combination fed my dd for 16weeks and ds is 28weeks Monday and still breastfeeding!!he has formula when I'm at work.its easier to breastfeed and we both love it its our special time together.he rubs my back while iim feeding him and holds my hand and its just lovely time together.i still have plenty of questions though and worry bout him just the same!!ask for advice but do what u feel is best! Best if luck last few weeks will fly :-)

Luvmymunchkin

Postby LydiaHopeful » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:09 pm

Dochas funny you post this as i was only thinking this week that you only hear these negative stories. I am breastfeeding so i dont have bottlefeeding experience but i dont believe there isnt hard times bottle feeding too. Maybe they are not discussed.as.much because once you are bottle feeding there is no alternative so you just have to manage and get on with it. Im not one for breast is best but our bodies are made to feed our babies and obviosuly the milk we produce is going to be best for the babyin that sense. I dont think formula is a bad alternative but it will never match your breastmilk so there can be issues formula feeding too because of this.

All i can say is i had no issues breastfeeding its.been a natural, lovely and easy experience for me so maybe if i had problems i would feel different. I kept waiting for all these bad things to happen like my friends horror stories but i cant think of a bad thing to say. Okay im up at night with her but its soooo easy to feed her i dont even have to get out of bed, no sterlising or extra cleaning. She does not get wind at all and no constipation because the milk suits her needs. You may need to change the formula a few times to find what suits your baby and during that time im sure bottle feeding is very difficult if the milk isnt suiting the baby. Im not.sure how the negative association developed with breastfeeding but its definitely out there which then puts women off. All i can say is do whats best for you, formula is great too and can give a lovely experience with baby but dont disregard breastfeeding because ppl who might not have even tried it say its too difficult. Hands down easiest thing about my baby is feeding her plus you get the luxury of.everyone fussing over u making sure you have enough to eat and drink and making you cups of tea !! Also there is a undeniable bonding factor as your baby knows you are the one that feeds her and when she strokes your chest and gives you a cheeky smile when you feed her your heart will melt.
LydiaHopeful

Postby HoneyBee » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:20 pm

I think the early weeks are crucial with BF - a good start & it'll make life so much easier. Make sure you get the latch right from day 1 & it'll really help you.
Once you're going with it it honestly makes life a lot easier - I don't have experience of formula, but I did try express and she never took to the bottle, but of the ones that I made up it always struck me as so much more work than just whipping out the boob! Esp at night time, as Lydia says its just a case of taking lo into bed, no bottle to mix, rinse, wash/sterilise in the morning, also when we travelled with her there was no bottles or feeds to pack, and sometimes I actually loved being the only one who could feed her esp if we were visiting the in laws and I wanted a few mins without her being passed around like a parcel lol.
That said my lo still did get silent reflux, and she could be a bit windy - however I think she would have been worse on a bottle as she did tend to gulp as she ate, and I think the BF minimised the air intake to an extent.
All in all I will definitely be BF this time again, hopefully ds takes to it as well as his sister did. And I actually wouldn't mind if this lil one likes a bottle too - the odd time I wanted to go out when dd was small was impossible as she would starve until I returned rather than take a bottle of expressed milk!
I was blessed she took a sippy cup early on, because at least during the day I could be gone for 2/3 hours and know that she'd take a few oz from a cup with her meals
They say BF babies get less sickness - I'm 50/50 on this one. While you do confer immunity it's only to strains of illness you've had. My lo got tonsillitis every month from 9 months until about 2 years. I was a bit shocked as everything I'd read lead me to believe BF would 'protect' from a lot of sickness however I think if a kid is going to have tonsil issues they will get them regardless. The other big thing they protect against is ear infections & she's never had one of those.
The big benefit I've seen is in her skills development - she speaks tons better than any 2 yr old in her crèche group, she can sing 10/12 songs well enough that most adults who meet her could understand her perfectly, she has a wide vocabulary and can hold a conversation in full sentences, she can count to 20, she knows all her colours & body parts and from a very early age she ate a wide range of foods/textures and flavours.
They say BF helps with weaning as they taste everything through the milk & as regards to speech they say the work involved in BF strengthens the jaws and tongue muscles so that often they end up speaking much clearer and their vocab can be better as they find it easier to repeat new words.
I'm not a BF expert but I can only vouch for what I've seen in my dd.
But again, if BF didn't work next time I wouldn't beat myself up about it either. A large part of it working last time was dd's cooperation. Some babies just don't take to it - esp if they are prem/sick/milk is delayed etc - so if for whatever reason it didn't work this time I'd just give it my best & then move on.
As the girls have said above, baby and mammies happiness counts most so if BF isn't working there's absolutely nothing wrong with formula and just getting on with enjoying your baby
HoneyBee

Postby Dochas » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:55 pm

Girls thank you so much for taking the time to share your lovely stories, it's so refreshing to hear such positive experiences. It seems to be a hot topic in the media at the moment and I have to say all the negativity was really getting me down and I was thinking, if all these women found it so torturous what chance do I have of making it work? I have just one close friend who has breastfed and while she had a very positive experience with it it's nice to hear from others who feel the same way :) I will definitely try it regardless but I think you're more likely to succeed at something if you go into it with a positive attitude. I'll keep re-reading your stories and try get into the positive mindset! Thanks so much xx
Dochas

Postby GalwaysGirl » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:28 pm

I'm with the girls. Amazing experience bf ing. Still going A year later. I thought Christmas last year I'd be done. Can't imagine stopping. Even today travelling in the car for nearly 5 hours , I don't have to worry if I forget food or if he's bit sick and not feeling like food, boob is always there!
And when all he'll eat is toast, I know the milk is meeting all his nutritional needs.
I thought too it was going to be awful givin how people used to have these horror stories and it was just. .....easy!

Its still a fab way to reconnect when I pick him up from creche, he dives at me before he goes into his car seat. And then our lazy weekend milky cuddles. And you the mam gets a lovely hit of oxytocin every feed. What a better mood lifter :)
GalwaysGirl

Postby LydiaHopeful » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:15 am

Awww galway and honeybee you two are even encouraging me and im already bf nearly 12weeks!! Lovely stories makes me thankful i gave it a go as someone said u have nothing to lose x
LydiaHopeful

Postby baby2015 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:22 am

Just seen this post and thought I'd comment!! I'm probably one of the ones dochas that posted negatively recently..sorry!!

It's really encouraging to see all the positive stories. And look forward to comin out the other end. Probably what I found tough wss I didn't realise what to expect. All my friends had all v v positive experiences and here was me struggling. What was wrong with me. But as the girls elided to once you get over the tough start it's grt. And agree with above we only see the negative as ppl are looking for help with problems. U'll be grt
baby2015

Postby Dochas » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:48 am

GalwaysGirl that's so lovely to read :) Thanks so much for sharing :)

Baby2015 not at all, that's what we're all here for, to share our experiences both positive and negative and get support and advice :) I just thought I'd try to hone in on the positive stories as I tend to expect the worst! You're doing great by the sounds of things :) xxx
Dochas

Postby Dochas » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:54 am

Hi ladies I just wanted to thank you for all your replies and words of encouragement, I'm 7 weeks in and bf is going really well. I've had one or two little hiccups but nothing that couldn't be easily fixed. I have to say I absolutely love it, I feel like it's really helped me bond with my lo after a tough birth and bad baby blues, the little release of those happy hormones when bf was the only thing that got me through those first few weeks. I've also found it great for calming my lo, I fed her during her heel prick test and she didn't even notice and I can usually get her off to sleep by bf. I love that I can pop her on the boob when she's crying and she instantly stops. And now that she's getting bigger she gives me little strokes and squeezes while bf and it just melts my heart :) Thanks again girls :) x
Dochas

Postby GalwaysGirl » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:55 pm

Fab dochas.
Delighted your loving it! :)
Wait till the strokes and squeezes become pinches and them shoving their finger up your nose ;) its so magical lol
Ah no seriously though, 15 months for us and love it more than ever!
GalwaysGirl

Return to Feeding Baby