Too much milk

Breastfeeding, Bottle, Introducing Solids, Weaning, Nutrition, Health.

Too much milk

Postby mabsebabes » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:30 pm

Just looking for some advice as I'm in the unusual situation of having too much milk for my LO to manage.
When she was born she wasn't put to my breast for 3+ hours due to stitches etc. When she was put on she was latching but wouldn't suck at all. Kept falling asleep. We tried everything but ended up leaving delivery with her having not fed. On the post natal ward a 3rd midwife tried with me and still nothing. As she was 4 hours old by now the midwife helped me hand express and gave her a syringe of colostrum. Later that night and all the next 2 days this continued. She would latch but not suck so I was hand expressing every 2-3 hours until I got 5 ml and syringed it to her. Then on the day we were discharged my milk came in and she suddenly fed. It was amazing and I cried a bit!
Then my milk came all the way in! As I had been so vigorous with the hand expressing loads and loads came. She was feeding for only 15mins but was full and gaining weight so MW was happy.
I've been trying everything to reduce my milk since. Not expressing, cold compresses feeding from one side only but I've still too much. I'm soaking through breast pads in about an hour. Changing bras and tops at least twice a day. Now when LO tries to latch the milk floods her so she won't go on, she nuzzles my nipple and gets soaked! Her mouth gets full and she can't cope so dribbles it out then gets upset cos she's hungry. She's pushing away from the fast flow which then causes the milk to squirt everywhere. When she does feed its too fast so she gulps in air the suffers with a really sore tummy. When I take her off to wind her we're back to square 1 with the nuzzling much Have to give her infacol which kinda helps but not much
I'm heart broken over this. Its so hard to see her in pain and distressed because of me
Image[/url]
mabsebabes

Re: Too much milk

Postby Dochas » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:49 pm

I have the same problem and I was told to express some milk before feeding so that it doesn't gush out all over the place. I rarely do though as my lo goes from 0 to 100 in seconds when she's hungry and screams hysterically to be fed so I don't get a chance to express. Might be worth a try though!
Dochas

Postby tippergirl » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:53 pm

I had similar issues with a strong supply. I didn't get to feed my lo until she was 36 hours old as she was in neonatal. I was using the hospital grade pump to express for her and my milk came in very quickly. We finally got the latch right when we got home from the hospital.

I user to soak myself and looking back on it I was so innocent I'd wonder how my clothes, bed sheets etc were getting so wet. I'd feed our lo and the opposite side would just be flowing at the same time. When we'd be latching on the milk used to be squirting everywhere. Feeding lying down was so lovely but my poor lo couldn't manage the fast flow lying down.

It might help to hand express off some milk before latching your lo and there's position's you can try to help with fast flow. It did settle down for me eventually in that the leaking settled but my supply was fast and plentiful and we often had the issue of milk squirting everywhere. It will settle and you will learn how to manage it all, maybe go to a breastfeeding group for some advice.
[/url]
tippergirl

Postby mabsebabes » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:39 pm

Thank you so much ladies. Its so reassuring to know others have had the same problems.
Its so disheartening when she has a sore belly and there's nothing you can do. But at the same time its so reassuring that she's feeding.
Did you express first? Did it help? I'm gonna ask the phn tomorrow about the BF groip
Image[/url]
mabsebabes

Postby tippergirl » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:46 pm

Expressing some off before a feed helps. I found it did. How old is your lo? You'll find the supply and demand evens out after a while. My experience with breastfeeding was short lived I only did it for 3 months as my lo had silent reflux and I was totally confused with what was helping/not helping. But hopefully I'll have another and if I'm lucky enough to breastfeed again I'd like to do it for longer. My sister is a midwife and she couldn't get over the supply I had. So we should count ourselves lucky. I have friends who breastfed but their supply was a constant battle.

I remember ages after I stopped breastfeeding I'd still get drops of milk, maybe that's normal though.
[/url]
tippergirl

Postby mabsebabes » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:57 pm

She's only 10 days old so it kills me to see her in pain. Ill deffo try expressing and see if that helps.
The midwife roared laughing the other day when my milk flew across the room, well we all did!
I know deep down we're lucky with too much but its hard sometimes.
Image[/url]
mabsebabes

Postby tippergirl » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:36 pm

It's very tough at this early stage mabse as you're tired and getting used to things with a newborn but it'll settle hun and you'll be feeling more confident :-)
[/url]
tippergirl

Postby iwishiwas » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:40 pm

Let her suck until you feel the let down, then unlatch her and collect let down in a container and once initial let down has stopped your LO should be fine feeding again. It's very early days, I soaked pads for the first few months, and I felt my milk didn't regulate until about 10+weeks. Don't express until 6weeks+ to establish the right milk requirements for your LO.
It's sad to think that the basic need to know things aren't told to breastfeeding mammys.

Oh I had a hyper let down which ment I had to collect let down until my LO was 12weeks. Well done on feeding, you are a super Mammy and you are giving your baby the best so try to worry too much xxx congratulations to you xxx
iwishiwas

Postby mabsebabes » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:45 pm

Thank you iwish. Staying well clear of full on expressing but might do a pressure relief hand express at the start of a feed and see. I'll chat it out with with phn tomorrow. I'm still half using the nipple shells to collect the let down of the side I'm not feeding from in a bid to curb the soakage.
And I'm sorry to hear your still having trouble with the in laws. You poor thing. Hope you get the advice you need tomorrow. Thinking of you and your poor OH. Depression is so hard on everyone involved and all you can do is keep supporting him as you have been.
Image[/url]
mabsebabes

Postby iwishiwas » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:02 am

Thank you mabsebabes, stress also really causes lots of problems when breastfeeding.. I used to get a blocked duct after every argument with in-laws, no one ever believed me and even lactation consultants just said it was coincidental!!

You sound like you are doing great, I think overactive let down is pretty common, I could only feed from one side for a month as I had a hyper let down which was constant but it all worked out in time. Nothing more rewarding than feeding your baby, I never thought I'd still be feeding nearly a year on. I spent so much money on private consultants which were never any help for me, support groups always seemed to have someone with advice to give xxx
iwishiwas

Postby mabsebabes » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:42 pm

The phn was just here and her only advice was to hand express pre feeding for pressure relief. But there's a breast feeding group in our local library on Mondays so I'll give that a go next week.
Thank you for all the support. I was over tired and stressing about her poor tummy last night and as always with the mummys on here you came through for me when I needed it!
Image[/url]
mabsebabes

Return to Feeding Baby