Parenting books

Everything about taking care of baby, toddlers, pre-school, primary kids, teenagers, parenting in general.

Parenting books

Postby janedoe » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:09 am

Hi all! Big day is creeping closer! Only 11 weeks left, don't know where the time is going! A few friends gave me pregnancy books and I'm just wondering now if anyone read or heard of any good books on what to do when baba actually arrives! Anyone found any good books with useful tips/advice for looking after baby/general parenting ?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
janedoe

Re: Parenting books

Postby soexcited » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:56 am

I had what to expect when your expecting and the pregnancy bible but to be honest I learnt the most from the nurses in the hospital and the community nurse coming to the house.. everything else does actually comes naturally as each baby is different. I didnt really think too much about the problems we'd face when the baby arrived, I was more worried about the labor... your probably right in your thinking though janedoe, the actual labour is one day but the baby is there with you forever then so its best to be prepared.
soexcited

Postby excitedmama » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:45 am

I have really good book Gina Ford Contented little baby! Its brilliant as she tels you what you need for the nursery, how and when to feed the baby when baby needs to nap etc...She is a bit like a Hitler but I make her routines to suit my baby.

excitedmama

Postby TheNewMrs » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:59 pm

From a psychology point of view try doing some research on Diana Baumrind's attachment parenting. (SP?) I thought this was VERY interesting in college. :thumbsup
[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt103f2a.aspx[/img][/url]
TheNewMrs

Postby 2blue » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:06 pm

I have Your Baby: Week By Week. Its broken into easy to read (and reference) segments. Hubby hates to read but this book is even ideal for him cause its got really concise and to the point pages that tell you what you need to know. I got it cause the reviews were particularly good from parents using the book - they reckoned the fact that the segments were short and easy to find that the book makes a great quick reference when you've got a screaming baby in your arms and you're not quite sure what to do.
I also bought The First Year from the WTE range for myself. I love to read so the size of the book didnt put me off like it would put off some (ie my hubby!) Its very factual but does take longer to find what you want.
2blue

Postby exciteddotcom » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:29 pm

I have what to expect when expecting also. Its very good.
http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
exciteddotcom

Postby Ruby » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:14 pm

The phn gives out a book when she calls around the day after you get home from hospital. TBH i wouldnt bother buying any of those baby/parenting books every baby is different and you have to do what suits you and your baby best not what you read in a book. Its all trial and error.
DS1 is 9
DS2 is 5

Ruby

Postby MarcsMrs » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:07 pm

I got New Babycare by Dr Miriam Shoppard - its a guide to the first 3 years! My sis gave it to me & I love it! Given me lots of tips & things to be aware of, defo worth a read

MarcsMrs

Postby Rathmineslady » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:24 pm

I am also reading a book by Dr Miriam Stoppard called "Conception, Birth and Beyond" (I think that's the title). Sister gave it to me, very informative as it counts down the weeks to your 40th week and there is also a section for the fathers. Kind of medical in some parts, but a good read. Also got a loan of a book called "The Best Friends Guide to Pregnancy" by Vicki Lovine. Worth investing in as it tells you all the stuff that the doctors/midwife don't tell you. There is also a mans guide to pregnancy book, though i can't remember who the author is. Hubby is reading it and keeps updating me on what baby should be doing and asking me do i have the symptoms that the author talks about in the book. It's keeping hubby in the loop as he doesn't want to look at pictures of an episiotomy in my books.
Rathmineslady

Postby lainey84 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:04 pm

I got What to Expect : The first Year.......... its answers all the little questions you have
lainey84

Postby janedoe » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:15 pm

Thanks for the replies and suggestions! I know its not a parenting book as such but a friend of mine has really recommended the Annabel Karmel Baby & Toddler Meal Planner - has anyone else used this?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
janedoe

Postby MarcsMrs » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:41 pm

Mum just got me What to Expect - The first year which is great! And Raising Girls by Gisela Preuschoff which is a great guide to raising girls from birth to the teenage years!

MarcsMrs

Postby Ruby » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:20 am

janedoe wrote:Thanks for the replies and suggestions! I know its not a parenting book as such but a friend of mine has really recommended the Annabel Karmel Baby & Toddler Meal Planner - has anyone else used this?

I had this for ds2 found it great, but a lot of her recipes are in her website.
DS1 is 9
DS2 is 5

Ruby

Postby Nelly » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:21 pm

Check out Tizzy Hall, my bobba is a good few weeks away yet so I haven't tried out any of her methods but when I heard her interviewed on the Ray Darcy show her advice made a lot of sense, and was a good laugh too. She was impersonating the different baby cries. Check her out http://www.saveoursleep.ie/ecms/default.asp
Nelly

Postby emilymoore682 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:38 am

Waiting for the baby is a magical time that I want to fill the good emotions and prepare for a meeting with her future baby. Chief assistant in this case is a competent book. This article contains an inspirational book for mothers and fathers: http://motherhow.com/best-pregnancy-books/
emilymoore682

Return to General Parenting Chat