Toddler who's all about Mammy

Everything about taking care of baby, toddlers, pre-school, primary kids, teenagers, parenting in general.

Toddler who's all about Mammy

Postby cudleyb » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:38 pm

Need some advice ladies my toddler won't let anyone in the family put her to bed at night she goes into a total meltdown so much so that she makes herself sick. I'm going away on a long weekend and I'm dreading leaving her even though she'll be at home with her Dad and brothers. She'll play all day have a great time once it's time for bed and I'm not there the meltdown happens how can I try change this? Suggestions welcome as I'm running out of ideas
cudleyb

Re: Toddler who's all about Mammy

Postby morphett » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:51 pm

Have you tried it already when youve been out any evening? I only ask as my second son was like this and if i was there of an evening i had to do bedtime routine or all hell broke loose. Ant time we insisted on dad doing it, it ended up lasting abiut an hour and a half and us all driven demented.. my older son would be crying and trying to get us to give in and me to do it and ds2 would be almost inconsolable.. however, if i was ever out of an evening with friends after work or anything, bedtine always went smoothly for dh. The fact was i had to be gone for the evening for him to be allowed to do it but if i was there it had to be me.. hage you always been there for bedtime or has your dh ever had to do it before and was ir a disaster previously?
morphett

Postby cudleyb » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:01 pm

Hey we use to alternate nights bringing her to bed then i went away for the first time last July and left her with her dad for long weekend and since then I'm the only than can put her to bed peacefully... I've gone out for nights and my OH put her to bed but it's with a struggle she cries and says my mammy lies there my mammy sleeps beside me and it's only when she's totally exhausted will she fall asleep... I've got my son's to do it my Mam nobody can settle her I've had family babysitting and i come home to find her on the sofa waiting
cudleyb

Postby morphett » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:12 pm

Oh crikey, right, yeah i can empathise! Shes obviously made of stern stuff!! Im not sure where to go from there to be honest. I know i was a bit of a pushover in that i used to be the one to lie there for a while as he got drowsy, then id have to stand outside the door and then have a litany of good night phrases we had to get through befroe i could head back downstairs. Dh didnt put up with any of that crap on his nights so we knew he could do it and settle without it all. We just had to keep explaining it to him but he was between 2-3 with a good command of language so it may have been a bit easier to get through to him. Coukd you ring your phn for some tips, i always found mine to be very helpful on recommending reading and tips for other things. Parenting a strong willed child was one book she recommended to me and by the sounds of it, you may need it too! Best of luck, sorry i wasnt more help.
morphett

Postby cudleyb » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:17 pm

Yeah i was thinking if contacting my phn cos i really need to break the bedtime cycle... I do lie with her till she's out cold i know very bad move but it was so quick and easy i didn't realise it would turn out to be a nightmare for anyone else minding her... Thanks a mil for your tips i appreciate it I've a little over a week to turn things around so i can happily go away i think i might be expecting to much
cudleyb

Postby Hopeful2013 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:37 am

Ah cuddly you poor thing. I know exactly how u feel. L only ever wanted me to put her down and o do the same - lie bedside her until she's asleep which usually doesn't take long in fairness. I was dreading going in to have this baby and her not settling for Daddy. She was already in bed when I went into labour but the next night I was worried. My oh told her I was still at work (she wasn't coming in to see me until next day) and he did the usual routine and she was fine. We couldn't believe it. She went down for him no bother for 3 nights. I thought great we can take turns now I'm home. But nope once I am here only I will do. So oh does stories etc and then I go in and the end to lie with her for 10 mins until she asleep.

Sorry for long post. Just trying to say she might be better than u think if you aren't there for a few hours before bed. Maybe try explaining to her before you go that you will be away but that you will be back. Bribery? I'll bring u back x as a present if you sleep with dad?
Hopeful2013

Postby cudleyb » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:33 am

Aw huge congrats hopeful I'm delighted for you hope everything went well, has L got sister or brother :-)

I think I'll try the bribery route cos at the moment nothing else works. I've been saying that myself and daddy want to share bedtime cos daddy wants to squeeze you too but she was having none of it.
The mistake I made first time was not telling her i was going i just left and video called her when i was there think I'll start saying I'm going to see my sis and I'll tell E that I'll bring her home a present something special so fingers crossed it works
How's your dad doing?
cudleyb

Postby Hopeful2013 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:58 am

L has a sister called Sophie who is 12 days old and came a month early but all ok now thankfully.

I'm no expert as my lo still wants me to lie with her at night but I know she'd be ok now if I wasn't here. Explaining in advance might help and of course bribery as well. We give lo a treat going to bed and it helps the whole process. Something small like one jelly or one Jaffa cake or 5/6 chocolate buttons. How long are you away for? Hope your doing something nice.

My dad is ok thanks. He's in Spain for a few days with my sister and the kids. He didn't want to go cause I just had a baby and can't drive etc but I made him. The break will do him good. How are ur boys and ur oh/oh's dad?
Hopeful2013

Postby cudleyb » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:39 pm

Ah delighted a little sister... Glad to hear Sophie is doing well and she was just too excited to meet you all :-).

I've started planting the seed with E i was walking her around to my mams this morning and i was explaining we are on a countdown of 8 days (I'll be away for 4nights) and I'll buy her a present and i asked what present she said a chocolate one haha i told her I'd send her a picture of her present and show her so she coped well so I'll keep it up and hopefully she won't be too traumatised web I'm gone :-)

Ah yeah that's a great break for your dad I'm sure your all missing your mam specially now with the new arrival but your getting there.

Boys are in great form I've one son going to college to start his Plummer apprenticeship and my other son doing his junior so all fun in our house.
My oh has lost both his parents now unfortunately but he's but coping well we've been looking after him
cudleyb

Return to General Parenting Chat