Spoon feeding & finger foods

Everything about taking care of baby, toddlers, pre-school, primary kids, teenagers, parenting in general.

Spoon feeding & finger foods

Postby HoneyBee » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:17 pm

Just wondering when you mammies moved to/let your los move to finger foods?

I've so much conflicting advice! My recipe book says 7 months, the farleys rusk packets says they are perfect finger food 'from 9/10 months' and when I asked my phn (as lo is eager as anything to hold her own food/self feed) she said I can give her finger food now, so I've given her some toast pieces, half a rusk, cooked carrot batons and she's coped fine but I'm still very nervous as she's very keen and can chomp of a decent sized piece if she's really hungry! She's 6.5 months but she always seems to want to do things early so I guess this is just her jumping the queue again lol!

Also, when did you stop pureeing food? I make all her meals myself - trying to base them loosely around our own dinners, but obv I purée meat/tougher veg. The phn was saying to stop purées now as it can cause problems down the line if babies are used to smooth food for too long, but how else can I give her chicken/meat if I don't blend it at least a little?
I mash her dishes as much as possible - even fish can be flaked up to a small lumps consistency but chicken and beef don't mash, I assume I could mash the veggies & blitz the meat in a processor and then combine?
At what stage then would you start to just chop up the meat into pieces?

Confused.com!!!
HoneyBee

Re: Spoon feeding & finger foods

Postby MrsS11 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:56 am

I give my lo farleys rusks whole in her hand. She's just had her 7 month Phn check and she said that she was to have finger foods. I've given my dd banana, rusks and a bit of toast, baby rice cakes and she seems to be fine with it. I think it's around 9/10 months they should be on chunks of food and it's about making the food gradally more textured and lumpy up to that. I've added baby pasta to things and my lo takes it with no problems. She was gagging at first but seems to be much better now. I have a stock of puréed food which I'm using up but I'm due to make more so will just mash things. I think purée meat just enough to have it broken down but still textured and add it to mashed veg etc. I'm nervous too around finger foods but she seems to be a lot better and she has two teeth coming up from the bottom so I think that helps. Hth
MrsS11

Postby 2blue » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:19 am

Have you ever heard of baby led weaning honeybee? I did that with DS1 and will do it this time too. THeres a "how to" book and a cookbook available. Basically means your LO will eat the same food as you and your DH and gives instructions on meals and how to start. Its a bit daunting at first but after a bit my little man was flying it! Its messy but babies enjoy it tonnes more. I would always give DS his own bowl of food and whatever he managed to feed himself we were happy with but I'd keep a bit aside and be popping bits into his mouth when he was exploring textures and shapes of different food. Theres a FB group too which is great for support and tips! if you search it and click join you can get all the info you need there!
2blue

Postby fairykitty » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:37 pm

I second the baby led weaning, we have being doing it since around 6 months. Very little food is off limits apart from honey (until 1), nuts (choking hazard), and obviously you totally limit their salt and sugar intake. Look for the baby led weaning book by Gill Rapley, its great!
Blw is messy but babies love being in control of what they eat. Our little girl who is almost 9 months has been known to swipe a lamb chop from daddy's plate and eat the meat straight off the bone.
Mummy to a baby girl born on the 23rd January 2013!
fairykitty

Postby 2blue » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:56 pm

fairykitty wrote:I second the baby led weaning, we have being doing it since around 6 months. Very little food is off limits apart from honey (until 1), nuts (choking hazard), and obviously you totally limit their salt and sugar intake. Look for the baby led weaning book by Gill Rapley, its great!
Blw is messy but babies love being in control of what they eat. Our little girl who is almost 9 months has been known to swipe a lamb chop from daddy's plate and eat the meat straight off the bone.

The independence it gives them is great - though not when you were looking forward to your lamb chop :lol: Our little man only cut five teeth at around the one year mark, before that he was flying it just using his gums!
2blue

Postby fairykitty » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:20 pm

It doesn't take them long to work out how to gum food at all, b2m4!
Apart from the time I spend peeling pasta off walls, I love sitting down with her and being able to eat at the same time.
Do you find that your ds is s good eater now since he's on control since the beginning? I don't know many older toddlers who weaned this way so am interested in how he enjoys it! X
fairykitty

Postby HoneyBee » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:09 pm

Thanks girls, we tried blw for a few days but she ate little or nothing & given that she's not a great milk drinker either and only bf once a day it meant she was getting no food at all if I didn't get some spoon feeds in :-(
I normally let her eat pieces of our meals at weekends & if she doesn't eat much I heat up one of her meals I've prepped & frozen but during the week she's in bed when DH gets in & its too late to have dinner together.
I don't mind the mess of blw at all - I generally let her mess with the mashed meals in her bowl anyway so she gets an idea of the spoon/feeding etc, so there's generally mess galore! I just know she doesn't eat enough to solely do blw. Also we eat a lot of spices, so I also found I didn't know what to be feeding her on days when I'm making curry or Thai food or even lasagne, because its full if seasoning/salt etc
Breakfast is easier because she will eat slices of toast no problem, so ive started giving her chunks of egg too & she hasn't eaten any yet, but she's getting the idea I think. It takes forever for her to finish though, so I suppose that's the other concern, when I go back to work I won't have 45/50 mins to sit there until she decides to eat a meal.
I don't think I'd be as worried if she was drinking a decent amount of milk but everyday is a battle to get even 3oz into her :-(
HoneyBee

Postby 2blue » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:18 pm

Well fairykittu he went through a slightly fussy phase aroumd the year mark. He would only eat finger foods like carrots and bananas etc and the odd yogurt but it only lasted a few weeks and then he was baxk to himself. Im sure all kids go throigh those phases tho so its not as a result of BLW. He isnt fussy in the slightest now, has his fave and least fave foods and can be picky when you try to make him eat something he doesnt like. But I loved the independence BLW gives them - and the hot meals you get in return!! We still spoon fed DS while letting him eat what he wanted just to ensure he was getting enough food. He has a tendancy to be a bit lazy when it comes to spoon feeding himself now so sometimes we still see him just using his hands, its easier for him and once hes eating I supposr we can live with the mess ;)
2blue

Postby 2blue » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:25 pm

We did that honeybee, followed the BlW cookbook and on days there were leftovers sometimes I'd just blend them down a bit and freeze them for the days we were having something I wasnt sure he would eat. The recipes in the cookbook are so handy and tasty, we use them every day and I've made up a few of my own based on their rexipes. I found DS wasnt gettinf enough feeding himself so we still spoon fed him while he was feeding himself bits for the early months.
The other option is to just puree her foods less. Give her different consistencies, like a beef stew for wxample. Blend it down with only a little of the juice and add more as you see fit. My SIL was so terrified of giving her DD lumpy food that she fed her purees til she was one year old. She got told loads of things like it would affect her speech etc but now at 18 months the little girl can speak 10 times better than my own little fella (boys are generally lazier anyway tho but her speech is fantastic!!) so dont let that scare tactic get to you hun.
2blue

Postby fairykitty » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:18 pm

Do you mind me asking why she is down to 1 breastfeed a day honeybee? Is it a recent thing, like her being too distracted to feed? When you top up, is it with expressed or formula milk? I also breastfeed, so am racking my brains to help you! Ideally as you know, her diet would be mostly milk supplemented by solids...very frustrating for you if you are struggling to get much into her!
B2m4;delighted to hear your ds isn't at all fussy!!!
fairykitty

Postby HoneyBee » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:34 pm

She's never been a big feeder fairy kitty, at about 3/4 months she started refusing the breast/pulling off & biting, when she did feed then it would take an hour & it was exhausting and meant we were housebound. I then started expressing 3/4 times a day and she was on 4/5 oz bottles of expressed milk and for a few weeks all was fine, then she started refusing the bottles. She's teething so I figured it was temporary. Then it went on for a week - the only feeds I could be sure she would take was her 5am feed and her morning feed at 9am, which are both bf. the minute we get up the milk stand off starts. If she's bf at 9, I'll offer breakfast at 9.45 & she'll devour her cereal. I might offer an oz or two from a sippy cup then just as a drink after her food, generally she refuses it. So 1pm comes, try the bottle & she turns her head, pulls away, screeches. I transfer the milk to a cup, same thing. I'll sit on the couch and try bf & she'll either latch on for a moment then scream/pull off or she'll start chatting/talking at the boob/playing - basically no interest. So I'll give up, let her play/nap and maybe try again in an hour or so - sometime she'll take it then, generally though she'll have 2oz & the screeching will start :-(
Thanks b2m4, sounds like we're doing that kinda routine anyway - i let her self feed what I can, and top up with a few spoonfuls. I have the annabel karmel book & I make the recipes from that, which are lovely but as far as 9-12 months its still saying to purée which seemed odd.
What finger foods did you give at 6 months other than toast/rusk?
I want to keep it interesting for her but I'm terrified she'll literally bite off more than she can chew lol
She loves raisins & dried apricots but I'm afraid she won't manage to chew the raisins & that she'll try eat the whole apricot!
HoneyBee

Postby MrsS11 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:40 pm

Check out the annabel karmel website it gives a list of finger foods to try it says around 7 or 8 months but I'm sure u could try the softer things earlier. Just an example is banana melon or cooked carrot parsnip or potato sticks
MrsS11

Postby fairykitty » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:04 pm

Some ideas are:
Breadsticks, rice cakes or outta bread with humous, tzatziki or almond butter.
Fruit of all varieties, roast vegetable sticks,cucumber sticks, cherry toms cut in half, toast dipped in bread, , homemade pizza, lentil patties, homemade meatballs in tomato sauce, pasta with sauce - tomato, or whizz some cooked veg like squash to make a sauce; and anything that us adults are eating asking as we know the salt & sugar content and it's cut into a manageable size!
Dint be shy with herbs and spices, she will be used to the taste from your breastmilk!
fairykitty

Postby fairykitty » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:05 pm

***Toast dipped in soup! Duh!!!
fairykitty

Return to General Parenting Chat