Can teething pain continue until the tooth is fully up?

Everything about taking care of baby, toddlers, pre-school, primary kids, teenagers, parenting in general.

Can teething pain continue until the tooth is fully up?

Postby Anciotog » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:10 pm

DS has been having a bad time sleeping with a few weeks, and it got worse this week, and then lo and behold two teeth arrived. The second one arrived yesterday, but he was still very fussy during the night last night and I had to keep getting up and giving him the dummy. I thought once the teeth were up the pain should stop? Or does it keep going until they are fully grown?
Anciotog

Re: Can teething pain continue until the tooth is fully up?

Postby Luvmymunchkin » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:22 pm

I was wondering about that aswell.dd is getting eye teeth and has been waking a fair bit last few weeks top 2 I can see a white tip thru but the bottom ones are coming up aswell.so I can't answer as I dunno if she crying for the bottom ones starting or the top ones :-/.Sometimes a lot of teeth come together,u cud have more in the next few days r weeks.
Would you try putting the soother on a clip so he can get it himself?i was so nervous to do that but when She was in a different room I had to!and its great.they find it themselves.if its teeth tho my dd will b crying with the soother still in her mouth!
A tip I found great is to put a few soothers in cooled boiled water and squeeze water into them and freeze.the ice will ease their gums.
Hope little guy is a bit better tonight ;-)

Luvmymunchkin

Postby Anciotog » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:10 pm

I doubt we can clip the soother to him, he's only 6.5 months so I'd be terrified to do it at the moment. You forget how tiring it all is. He had slept through from 8 weeks til now.
Anciotog

Postby Luvmymunchkin » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:43 pm

Oh right :-( is that his first 2 teeth?ya I was the same about the clip he's probably too young.she was maybe 10 months or so when I put it on.my dd got top 2 right after bottom2.i think the top ones are worse.its such a shock to the system when you have a good sleeper then they start waking!!i think we used to have maybe a bad few days before each tooth.it could just b another one on the way. He will probably go back to sleeping well as soon as teeth r through.i think I read the sleep habits don't change much after 3months. Don't quote me tho :-) have heard teeth a sachet r good but I never tried them.

Luvmymunchkin

Postby Milis » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:03 pm

I don't really know the answer - still find it hard to figure out why dd is sometimes fussy at night - blame it on the teeth all the time but maybe it's something else!

Anyway, just wanted to suggest an alternative to the soother clip - there's a teddy you can get called sleepytot which has Velcro for the arms and legs so you can attach 4 soothers. We have one for dd and it's honestly been a lifesaver over the last few months. Very very rarely have to get up to her now.

And if it is teething pain I find calgel brilliant. It's terrible - I feel so sorry for them!
Milis

Postby mluckygal » Wed May 13, 2015 11:34 am

I think it continues. I got the idea that it was not the cutting through that caused the bother as they stopped fussing a few days before a tooth cut through. I reckon it was growing the teeth/connecting and disturbing the whole jaw bone that caused the trouble. The thoughts of it! Anyone growing wisdom teeth would say the same. So if one is cutting, there is still a few more growing somewhere else! I found an amber anklet the best solution up to 2 years or so. Sorted out the sleep disturbance too I reckon. I think mine were better able to cope with it or too busy and active after 2.
mluckygal

Postby morphett » Thu May 14, 2015 4:48 pm

Yeah I think it can.. I know from my two boys that they can be really fussy until the tooth cut, and then the bad nappies and the bad nappy rash continues for a few days afterwards so I think there is the pain if the tooth cutting through the gum but also as it continues to grow upwards or downwards until it's fully in out.
morphett

Return to General Parenting Chat