problems with leaking bottles

Everything about taking care of baby, toddlers, pre-school, primary kids, teenagers, parenting in general.

problems with leaking bottles

Postby Josiefl » Fri May 01, 2015 6:02 pm

I'm wondering can anyone help! Mt dd is 6 days old I was bf but found it very demanding and she wasn't getting enough, so I changed to avent natural bottles as they are meant to b closet thing to breast, however the bottles seem to b leaking r else dd is getting too much in her mouth and spitting it out! She is only on 3oz bottles so she may only get 2 1/2oz
Josiefl

Re: problems with leaking bottles

Postby lorraine78 » Fri May 01, 2015 9:48 pm

I really didn't like the avent bottles,same was happening me and I switched to dr brown and loving them,they also reduce the chances of colic.
lorraine78

Postby Josiefl » Fri May 01, 2015 9:59 pm

Thanks Lorraine I tried a tommee tippee bottle we had here someone gave me 2 newborn ones not used so tried one and the same kinda happened so not sure if it's baba :(
Josiefl

Postby chloec214 » Fri May 01, 2015 10:17 pm

Same problems I'm having the last few days but my lo is 7 months, but we only recently got a microwave and it only started happening since then. Do you use the microwave to heat the bottles?
chloec214

Postby Josiefl » Fri May 01, 2015 10:38 pm

No just in jug of water don't like microwaves at all even for my own food! Don't know what to do I rang avent this morning as I has bought new teats yesterday and no questions asked should have replacement bottles in wk r I can bring them back to where I bought them and get a refund which I find kinda strange that this was offered straight out I also looked it up online and loads said they leaked so annoying!! Any recommendations for alternatives
Josiefl

Postby tippergirl » Sat May 02, 2015 8:26 am

We use the mam brand & find them brilliant. There's a few bits to put together but once you get used to them they're very simple to use. They're on sale in mamas & papas now too. They're very good for colic & reflux.
[/url]
tippergirl

Postby tippergirl » Sat May 02, 2015 8:27 am

Meant to say I used them while I was bf & we had no issues our lo took to them no bother.
[/url]
tippergirl

Postby Luvmymunchkin » Sat May 02, 2015 10:02 am

I use avent bottles and love them.at the start we had that problem and kept closing them really tight and after much googling I found out NOT to over tighten them is the trick.which actually works.so I don't know if that will help with yours but I would try it before buying new bottles.use the newborn #1 teat and if its leaking I would take the top off and put it back and don't use much force closing it.obviously closing it tight enough tho lol!hope that works!
Maybe your lo is just adjusting after being breastfed?the milk flow is faster from the bottle so maybe try holding up straighter and take little breaks.if u c how much baby takes over 24 hrs rather than at each feed.i used to find if my dd drank less one day shed balance it out the next day.if she has 8 2.5oz bottles that is 20oz which is plenty.and watch the nappies also if she is weeing and pooing good she is getting enough.i think its about 2/2.5 oz per pound baby weighs.8lb baby should get 16/20oz in 24hrs roughly.i was a big worrier with dd!

Luvmymunchkin

Postby Josiefl » Sat May 02, 2015 11:27 am

Thanks love my munchkin ill give it a try I think it could b the flow that's causing the proble!! I'm goin to keep an eye on it over the wkend and go from there maybe she is just adjusting!!
Josiefl

Return to General Parenting Chat