Help! Nappy rash

Everything about taking care of baby, toddlers, pre-school, primary kids, teenagers, parenting in general.

Help! Nappy rash

Postby Bettie » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:20 pm

My 8month old is now going in to week two of terrible diarrhoea (12 loose stools a day) due to gastroenteritis. On doctor's advice we are keeping her hydrated and it's not affecting her too badly now EXCEPT for horrific nappy rash. We have Daktacort cream with steroid to help the swelling and fungal aspect, but girls can ye tell me of any miracle barrier creams? Using lashings of sudocrem or Vaseline on the changes between steroid cream already. She is so so sore. There is broken skin and she screams at the touch of wipes or even cool water on cotton. She is having as much free bum time as possible too. Any ideas???
Bettie

Re: Help! Nappy rash

Postby Leontia89 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:57 pm

Hi bettie,
Ur poor little lady, not fair on them. When nothing else worked for my wee woman I found metanium nappy rash cream the best. It's nearly like a paste, so doesn't come off when baby pees like most other creams. I think you can only get in north. But you can order on boot.co.uk and they do next door, or if ur close to north!!
Hope this helps

X
Leontia89

Postby Leontia89 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:59 pm

Trying to send picture but saying too big
Leontia89

Postby tippergirl » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:25 pm

The metanium is quite good. If you know a midwife they will be able to get you some they usually have it on the neonatal wards. I find boots own brand zinc and castor oil the best but we've never had nappy rash as bad as your lo's sounds. Poor pet.
[/url]
tippergirl

Postby chloec214 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:19 am

Bepanthen. My lil girl had the rotavirus and her bum was raw. Was the only thing that would work.
chloec214

Postby bumblebus » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:21 am

I'll second the zinc and castor oil cream. zinc is great for healing. Sudocream tends to dry skin out more I think and might be making cracking worse. Just my opinion. Really hope you find something that works. Hard to see little ones in so much pain. X
bumblebus

Postby Bettie » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:12 pm

Thanks so much girls! I definitely think sudo is drying, not sure I like it. I'll see if I can get my hands on metanium or the boots zinc+castor. Ye are great - I really appreciate it, it's awful to see lo in pain :(
Bettie

Postby MrsM » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:52 pm

An egg white straight into the nappy is good too, messy but good!! Personally I use the metanium and caldescene powder and they work for us after a few days
MrsM

Postby morphett » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:16 pm

A good shake of corn flour into the nappy is great for it too.. try patting some of it right on to the sore, weeping parts. I found it brilliant when my two had that really bad rash that would be open sores and bleeding.
morphett

Return to General Parenting Chat