Constipation

Everything about taking care of baby, toddlers, pre-school, primary kids, teenagers, parenting in general.

Constipation

Postby mabsebabes » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:50 pm

Hi ladies, looking for some advice. Dd was started on gaviscon on Tues for reflux and has been constipated since. Shes 1 month old, ebf, anf normally has 2-3 good nappies a day. On wed she only had 1 and hasn't gone since. She seems so uncomfortable from it. Pushing and grunting a lot with nothing. Passing some wind but not as much as usual.
Yesterday and today I've given her cooled boiled water with brown sugar in it with no results at all.
Any other tips to get things moving and get my happy baby back?
Image[/url]
mabsebabes

Re: Constipation

Postby Bannergirl » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:02 pm

Aw mabesbabes the poor pet, I have no advice other than what your doing, I'm also noticing my lo had so many dirty runny Nappies and today and yesterday only had one or two which is strange. What are the symptoms of reflux? What formula is she on?
Bannergirl

Postby mabsebabes » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:10 pm

There's loads if symptoms. Spitting up feeds (although not always there) pain, excessive crying, gagging, wanting to be upright all the time, worse when lying down, poor feeding, poor sleep including cat napping only. The list goes on.
She's exclusively breastfed
Image[/url]
mabsebabes

Postby tippergirl » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:23 am

Sound's like silent reflux alright mabes. I was told by a cons in temple st children's hospital to use the brown sugar and water. Did you give it again today?
[/url]
tippergirl

Postby mabsebabes » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:45 am

Yeah we ended up in temple street with her the other night and the doc was sure it was and gave her zantac thankfully. She seems to be improving apart from the constipation.
Yeah I gave it to her again today and still nothing. Not sure what to try next.
Image[/url]
mabsebabes

Postby tippergirl » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:15 am

Hopefully zantac will work for you. We found it great. It's quite common for babies to have very loose stools from zantac that might happen yet and it might help get her back on track with regular movement's, the brown sugar might do the trick yet. It's awful tough when they're uncomfortable.
[/url]
tippergirl

Postby Bannergirl » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:21 am

The poor thing I knew you were breastfeeding I don't know why I asked about the formula. Baby brain! !! I hope she improves soon, my lo has a few of these symptoms
Bannergirl

Postby mabsebabes » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:54 am

We have poop! She spent the first 5 mins of the last feed pushing to good success. Not as huge a nappy as I was expecting but hopefully its the start of great things. She seems so much happier already!
Oh that'd be great if the zantac and gaviscon cancelled each other out.
Don't worry about baby brain, I think we all have it.
If you are concerned about reflux for your lo act earlier. We started thinking on Monday it was reflux after she screamed for 8 hours. Waited for the GP on Tues ended up in a+e on the wed she was so sore. Have a chat with the GP and see. But a lot of GPS might fob you off as colic as some of the symptoms are the same. Gaviscon is over the counter if you feel she needs it!
Good luck
Image[/url]
mabsebabes

Postby MrsM » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:59 pm

If the sugary water isn't working a little bit of Vaseline just a little up the bum works. Sounds dreadful but it does work for them
MrsM

Postby mabsebabes » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:11 pm

Oh that's great to know MrsM. Thanks
Image[/url]
mabsebabes

Postby anfieldbabe8 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:37 pm

Also you can use a q-tip and put some Vaseline on it and insert it gently just a little in baby's bum. It's like it releases the muscle and everything relaxes. Doesn't sound very pleasant but it's worked for us
anfieldbabe8

Postby Wishingandhoping » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:03 pm

Does anyone use fennel tea for constipation? My lo started enfamil on Thursday for reflux. We were warned that constipation seems to be a side effect. She has a pain today but no nappy!
Wishingandhoping

Postby Purplebiz » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:24 pm

I don't think end babies have to poo everyday.i could be wrong but they can go over a week without going and it is still ok. I am not sure about the effects the medication would have. There is a brilliant breastfeeding feeding group on Facebook and all the ladies have a wealth of knowledge. It is called 'Extended Breastfeeding Ireland'. The ladies are very much advocates for breastfeeding but the knowledge on the group is amazing and you get a really quick response. Might be worth looking in to.
Purplebiz

Return to General Parenting Chat