Flying with hand foot and mouth

Everything about taking care of baby, toddlers, pre-school, primary kids, teenagers, parenting in general.

Flying with hand foot and mouth

Postby Jess80 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:36 am

Hi all,

I hope someone can give me advise, my dd2 (16months) was out of sorts Tuesday and Wednesday, Wednesday she was off her food sleepy and generally not herself. I thought she had a sore throat so dh brought her to the doctor to be told it was a mild case of tonsillitis but not to start antibiotic till Friday (today) if needed as calpol neurofen might do the trick and make her feel better and to give him a call and let him know how she is! So yesterday she was back to her normal happy self flying around but I noticed a few red spots on her mouth (outside) today they are worse and blister like and I'm almost certain it's hand foot and mouth :( I rang the doc but he couldn't talk to me till 12 so I will ring back!! I'm up the walls now as we are due to go on a long haul flight (total 33 hrs) on Sunday!!! Does anyone have experience of this and Will she be allowed fly??? Thanks in advance :( stressed!!!!
Jess80

Re: Flying with hand foot and mouth

Postby HoneyBee » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:41 am

Sorry to hear this Jess, my lo had it when she was about 15 months.
The blisters can be on/in the mouth or tongue & on the palms/soles of hands/feet
It generally doesn't bother then but as far as I remember it's quite contagious as I had to keep dd out of Creche until the last of the blisters had burst & scabbed over completely.
I honestly don't know if they'd stop you flying but if thee spots are still contagious (you'll be able to see water still inside the blister) the doc will prob recommend staying put until it's gone
But before you panic I'd get the gp to diagnose it 100% if you lo is sick it could even be just a viral rash/a sign the immune system is low
Hope you get sorted in time for your trip
HoneyBee

Postby Jess80 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:53 am

Thanks for reply she's not sick at all with it its just being contagious being the problem there is no puss just red spots but I just know in my gut it is hf&m its just the cost of the trip if we were to loose out it's a trip of a lifetime once in a lifting kinda thing and I'm sick to the stomach now worrying we will have to cancel I don't even know if we would get money back afraid to look at insurance :(
Jess80

Postby HoneyBee » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:18 pm

See what the gp says, mine was very blasé about it & said my lo could go into Creche once they healed, but Creche wouldn't have her back until they were scabbed over & gone completely - they maintained it was too risky as they see it all the time and it spreads very quickly.
That's bad timing with your trip. As far as I know it's the liquid in the blisters that spread the infection. Maybe if you keep them covered until they burst (3/4 days) you could travel?
HoneyBee

Return to General Parenting Chat