Reflux mums

Everything about taking care of baby, toddlers, pre-school, primary kids, teenagers, parenting in general.

Reflux mums

Postby Mummysc » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:19 am

Hi all. Just wondering if any reflux babies are on Anti reflux meds starting with R generic version of the one starting with Z (won't let me post the names) and enfamil ar. Phn recommended these but my gp was less than helpful to me told me there wasn't any anti-reflux formulas!wtf!
Anyway I've googled and conflicting as to whether they can both be given.
Any advice appreciated
Mummysc

Re: Reflux mums

Postby Wishingandhoping » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:21 am

Hi mummyw! My lg is on both of those! It's making a huge diff for us! She's flying on them! There's lots of anti reflux formulas on the market. What is your gp suggesting?
She's 13 weeks now and we'll be weaning her at 16 weeks. Has anyone any tips for that??
Wishingandhoping

Postby tippergirl » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:06 am

Our lo had silent reflux and Z worked for us.

There's a group on Facebook called surviving reflux Ireland, there's great support and advice on there.

I'd be hesitant weaning at 16 week's, we were led to believe it would help thing's so I started at around 17 week's but I didn't think it helped so I stopped and started again slowly around 20 week's. It does seem to work for some though.
[/url]
tippergirl

Postby miniegg91 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:31 am

There are few anti reflux formulas Mummy but we just used Carobel mixed in with normal formula, though he has dairy allergy so had to move to Neocate with Carobel.
Wishing we were told by GP, nurse & PHN to wean early due to reflux & because was hungry all the time. Worst mistake ever for us starting at 17 weeks. Every food flared him & made him scream all night long. Stopped & started few times but gave up & just waited until 26 weeks to do Baby Led Weaning & no problems at all. Might work for others though?
miniegg91

Postby Wishingandhoping » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:51 am

I'm slow enough to do it myself but paediatrician wants it. He wants her fully weaned by 6 months so he can take her off meds.
Was speaking to phn yest and she said that although it's early she would follow his instructions but would just give baby porridge etc for first month. Any ideas for something for a bit of variety instead of porridge/rice everyday?
Wishingandhoping

Postby Mummysc » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:02 am

Thanks ladies. Our gp isn't great with this at all. She's on .3mls of meds since 3 weeks. She's 7 weeks now 9lbs 6oz, 2lbs heavier than when first put on it, and he has told me the dose is still fine, I'm not so sure. He said to try nutramigen if I wanted, I've heard this tastes awful and I'd be afraid she wouldn't take a bottle for me as it can be hard enough sometimes already.
My older lg, now nearly 3, was a happy refluxer brought up lots and lots of bottles but it didn't bother her at all. I started weaning her at 17 weeks, I know it's not for every baby, they are all so different, but she loved her food then and still loves it now. I started her on plain baby rice first and then moved on to carrot.
Mummysc

Postby miniegg91 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:08 am

You could puree up some fruits & freeze into ice cube tray & then just add one into porridge for a bit of flavour. Pear was ok here mixed with porridge. Banana mashed was ok too I think but did back up the nappies for a few days (TMI).

Sweet potato, butternut squash & carrot are first veg that work for some but not others. It's trial & error which is a pain!

Mummy the Nutramigen is awful smelling but babies are lot better than us adults at adjusting! A drop of vanilla extract can sweeten taste enough for them to take it. My lo didn't mind it at all anyway. It is quite thin though without any thickener in it so might not help the throwing up.
miniegg91

Postby Wishingandhoping » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:18 am

We were on nutramagen and neocate too and she took no notice of the taste. Where are you in the country? We are under dr Sami in cork. He is excellent
Wishingandhoping

Postby tippergirl » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:31 am

Just be really careful wishing to start with only one food at a time and give each new food 3 day's to be sure it's a safe food.

Our lo refluxed badly after pear and sweet potato so I just left them until she was eating well and tried them again.

It really is all trial and error. We were lucky we were able to stop meds at 5.5 month's
[/url]
tippergirl

Postby Mummysc » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:40 am

Because she is bringing up quite a bit of bottle already is why I didn't start with the nutramagen. Have given her the first bottle of enfamil now so hopefully it will work for her.
I've joined that fb page on your recommendation a couple of weeks ago tipper girl, thank you. When I read what some of the others on there are going through, I really don't have it that bad.
I'm in cork too wishing.
Mummysc

Postby Wishingandhoping » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:36 pm

Would you try to get referred to dr Sami if your gp isn't much good with reflux?
Thanks tippergirl! My phn has advised to leave all fruit until 6 months! To just give baby rice/ porridge for first month then add veg at 5 month and fruit at 6 month.
Wishingandhoping

Postby Mummysc » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:14 pm

Would I need a gp referral for that wishing?
Mummysc

Postby Wishingandhoping » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:33 pm

Yep but your gp should refer you no problem. We were admitted to the bons under him and they did tests. It was very reassuring because we knew exactly what we were dealing with. A good tip is to keep a feeding diary. Times of feeds; amounts; nappies; wind and any other symptoms like hiccups. I used to note time of last burp!
Wishingandhoping

Postby Mummysc » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:41 pm

Thanks a million I will definitely keep a feeding diary. I'll push gp to refer me even though he's not great for referrals either, don't know why I keep going to him, or try go to the other doctor there but she's only there 1 day a week
Mummysc

Postby Nmomoftwo » Mon May 30, 2016 4:58 am

My baby had silent reflux and was very fussy and was also refusing breast milk. I put him on babies magic tea and it soothed him quite instantly.
Nmomoftwo

Postby ttcno1 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:16 pm

i know this is an old post but oue lg had silent reflux (i get a shiver down my spine) when i think of it. dunboyne herbs was out life saver!
ttcno1

Return to General Parenting Chat