Help!!! Where am I going wrong!!

Everything about taking care of baby, toddlers, pre-school, primary kids, teenagers, parenting in general.

Help!!! Where am I going wrong!!

Postby sherlock14 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:15 am

Hey ladies I have a six month old baby and for the last month id say baby has been waking up during the night. Could be anytime from 1am to 5am and she might wake up more than once looking for milk. She used to be such a good sleeper go up at 7.30 dream feed at 10.30 and sleep until 6.30/7. It's like since we started solids shes not sleeping through anymore.

For breakfast she has porridge or seven cereals with fruit mixed in and an 8 oz bottle-bottle is used to make the porridge and she finishes off the rest within 2 hrs. Lunch is at 12 and she would have rice and fruit or sweet potato and butternut squash or parsnip or something a big enough bowl, water to drink. Bottle again at 2.30/3 and dinner about 5/5.30 water to drink and dinner would be dependent om wat she had for lunch so could be rice, could be potato and broccoli etc etc. Then she has an 8oz at 7 pm and she's so tired she can barely drink it. She goes up to bed and I try dreamfeed her about 10.30/11 and she could only take 2oz she's so tired.

Now she's a deamon for sleeping during the day and will fight against naps. I just wondered if any of you experienced ladies had any advice or if anything worked for u. We are absolutely shattered and as its my first maybe this is normal I just don't know!!!
sherlock14

Re: Help!!! Where am I going wrong!!

Postby tippergirl » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:14 am

I'm no expert sherlock. I honestly think the waking is totally normal though. Starting solids is a really big developmental step for a baby and it's probably unsettling for them and their systems are trying to get used to having food.
She will more than likely revert back to sleeping well again and have more unsettled phases too.
Our lo loves her sleep but we still get phases where sleep is very unsettled.
You aren't doing anything wrong anyway.
Maybe she doesn't need the dream feed if she's only taking 2oz and is eating and drinking well throughout the day. In my opinion an afternoon nap could really help as it may mean she's more relaxed.
Hope that helps a bit!
[/url]
tippergirl

Postby sherlock14 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:25 am

Thanks a mill for your reply tipper. I was thinking that about the dream feed as it seems to be the same situation whether she gets the dream feed or not and I read somewhere that their first stage of sleep is the deepest and if their woken from that they are never fully in the same state of sleep and restfulness.

It's just hard going it's like having a new born again. Hard to know whether to give the dodie, leave her cry (which i think she's a bit small for) or what to do. Hopefully it will wrk itself out or she'll be an only child lol. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
sherlock14

Postby tippergirl » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:30 pm

I'd say drop the dream feed and see how thing's pan out. I used to have the exact same thoughts when we had bad sleep phases so don't beat yourself up. Sleep deprivation is tough but it's quite healthy for babies to wake at night and it will pass. Can you get a lie in at the weekend?
I couldn't do the cry it out now but some people do the controlled crying but she really is still so young. She might just need to see her mammy at night for a while.
Does she have a soother?
[/url]
tippergirl

Postby sherlock14 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:50 pm

Yeah she has a soother which my DH is saying is the problem as she wakes looking for it then flicks it out herself when the hands are up to the face and then crys again looking for you to put it in. It's a vicious circle.

Ya thank god get small lie in at weekend and DH is very good in fairness i just need to know there is light at the end of the tunnel lol! She got her 6 month vaccines today so please god she might sleep tonight. I just hope she's getting enough food but from what I'm reading it sounds she getting more than enough and if she's not taking the dream feed she can't be that starving!!! Then i thought she might be cold but have long sleeve vest, baby grow and 2.5 tog grobag so don't think it's the cold. O lOrd nobody tells you about these times hahaha
sherlock14

Postby Wishingandhoping » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:45 pm

Hi sherlock14! Sorry to hear you're having a tough time! Were just after going through something similar with our 10 month old.It's exhausting and hit just as I went back to work! I second tipper girl on the dream feed. It sounds like she doesn't need it. Also would she be over tired? I found out lo slept better if she got a nap. Even pop her in the buggy and go for a walk in the eve? When our lo got unsettled at the age it meant i needed to pull bedtime back by 15 mins.
It'll pass but it's so hard!!!!
Wishingandhoping

Postby sherlock14 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:00 pm

Thanks wishing it's def a case of over tiredness as well I'd say she just will not nap during the day. I put her up to the cradle in the morning about 10ish (she has her b.fast at 6.30) and she will turn over and scream the place down. She would fall asleep in her bouncer seat but this nap could only be half an hr. In the afternoon she might have a nap in the car or the buggy but once we stop the eyes fly open again! How did u girls really implement day time naps?
sherlock14

Postby tippergirl » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:07 pm

Would you try the morning nap earlier between 9/9.30, I used to find naps much easier if I caught my lo just before she got really tired.

It's not everyone's cup of tea but I found the book the baby whisperer brilliant to help me establish a routine which suited us.

We went through the same thing with the soother and it passed and now the clever clogs fecks it out of the cot on purpose!!!!
[/url]
tippergirl

Postby Wishingandhoping » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:24 pm

I used to time morn nap 2 hours after waking then next nap 3 hours after waking from first nap. She may even need a 3rd nap if she's up that early. It's very hard to get them napping and even now we've bad days esp at wends. It's trial and error really. It'll take a while to get her used to going down. Lo is my first too so I'm def no expert though!
Wishingandhoping

Return to General Parenting Chat