Due date based on LMP vs. Due date based on scan results?

General chat about being pregnant, the different stages of pregnancy, morning sickness, the ups and downs of carrying your baby.

Due date based on LMP vs. Due date based on scan results?

Postby tinkywinky86 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:21 pm

Last Friday (14th Sept) I had my first scan. Was so happy to finally see my baby cos I was worried since the day I took the test.
It was arranged early as I had some light bleeding. I thought that my due date was 7th April 2013 ( so I was 10 weeks), but after the scan the doctor said that my new due date is 20th April 2013 as the baby size was about 1 inch ( 8 weeks).
I am very confused. Pregnancy count starts from LMP and that was 3rd July 2012 ( I'm 98% positive of that date). Can someone please explain to me why according to the scan my due date is now almost 2 weeks later than the orginal. Does that mean that my baby isn't growing as fast as other babies or is it because of my cycle (30 days)? So so so confused:?
tinkywinky86

Re: Due date based on LMP vs. Due date based on scan results

Postby HoneyBee » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:27 pm

I have the same problem - I don't know why it is but according to my dates I'm 10 weeks tomorrow and due 18th April - I'm 100% sure of my lmp date

I had an early scan at 7 weeks though and they moved my date to 20th and at my scan last week they moved me again to 24th :-(

I don't know if it helps, but you're not alone at least!
HoneyBee

Postby tinkywinky86 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:32 pm

Thanks HoneyBee! I did little research on the internet and lots of mothers says that the scan date was most accurate. Maybe I do not ovulate 2 weeks after my period and maybe that is why is took us almost 3 years to get pregnant. I have my next scan in Dec only, so maybe then they will be able to give me the right date once the baby grown little bit. :)
tinkywinky86

Postby justCANTwait » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:47 pm

Same thing is happening to me.i should be 9 weeks tmro according to lmp date which im 100% sure of.But showing on scan today at 8 weeks 1 or 2 days. i know its not a major difference but for me its because i have 32 day cycle and ovulate on day 18. good luck.
justCANTwait

Postby Torrach » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:17 am

Hi girls, I had a scan almost two weeks ago at 7+2 and they measured the baby as 6+2 which is impossible as that would have meant I got my bfp two days after I apparently ovulated. I know exactly when I ovulated and my dates are correct. I am 9 weeks today. However they do say scans can have a five day margin of error either side of the date they give you and if it's an early scan ( like mine was) then the baby is still small and it can be quite easy to put the markers on the wrong part of the smudgy picture that is ur baby.

Having said that, because I ov'ed on cd25, I would technically be 10+4 today (based on lmp). So really the due date is based on ovulation day plus two weeks. So for example, the baby has been gestating for seven weeks but I am nine weeks based on adding the two pre-ov weeks where ur body prepares for pregnancy.

From what I read, many people were dated 'less' pregnant than they were only for the dates to end up matching correctly along the way somewhere. Try not to worry about it, the dates they gave u could be wrong by five days and you may not ovulate on cd 14 or 16, u could maybe ov later. Hth!
Torrach

Postby rosiepope » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:24 pm

Hi girls, I had my second scan yesterday. I will be 13 weeks tomorrow. Baby showing bigger than 13 weeks but as I had a scan at 8 weeks and my dates were bang on then they are sticking with my dates. Apparently early scans are the most accurate.
rosiepope

Postby happydays » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:13 pm

Hi Ladies, I had my dating scan at 12 weeks, im the opposite to ye! my scan due date is actually a week earlier than the lmp. Really confused as I taught scan was more accurate but the consultant is going with the later lmp date. Anyone else like this?
happydays

Return to General Pregnancy Chat