Birth positions with epidural

General chat about being pregnant, the different stages of pregnancy, morning sickness, the ups and downs of carrying your baby.

Birth positions with epidural

Postby PastelBlue » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:13 pm

I'm 31 weeks and a FTM. Currently trying to put my birth plan together but I feel it may be contradicting itself! Ideally I want to avoid giving birth on my back as I've heard this is the most difficult way to do it. However, I also feel like I will want an epidural because I'm a wimp and can't stand pain. What positions for delivery are available with the epidural or will I be confined to lying in bed on my back? I think I would like to be on my knees, leaning on the back of the bed - is this possible?! Any advice appreciated!
PastelBlue

Re: Birth positions with epidural

Postby morphett » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:13 pm

not if youve an epidural pastel, the epidural completely numbs your legs, you'll be catheterised even as far as i can remember as you cant put any weight on your own legs.. ive had 3 births with epidurals and tbh, havent had any tears or problems with delivering this way.. if you dont have it i think youre more inclined to give birth up on your knees or all fours as thats most natural but if you do have it; they allow about 1 hour for passive decent when you reach 10cm once all is well with babys heartrate and this allows baby to travel down the birth canal without you even realising and then pushing should be much shorter, my 2nd and 3rd were out in 3 pushes once i was allowed the hour for passive decent.. best if luck..
morphett

Postby Jess80 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:24 pm

I had two natural births and laboured on all fours but on both occasions I was told to flip onto my back just in time for delivery not sure why to be honest but I just did what I was told :) I’ve heard of loads of woman labouring and delivering in many positions! on my first labour I had the epidural I couldn’t move off my back for hours it’s not ideal but was totally welcomed as the epidural is an absolute life saver if you are not coping! Just go with how you feel on the day best of luck :)
Jess80

Postby mrsk2015 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:37 pm

During my antenatal class the midwife said that you have a higher risk of tearing when you deliver on all fours, they can support perineum when you are lying down but not when you are in any other position saying that my friend delivered both ways on her two babies and had stitches either way.
Just go with what feels comfortable at the time but the epidural was amazing.
mrsk2015

Return to General Pregnancy Chat