Pregnancy after MMR vaccine

General chat about being pregnant, the different stages of pregnancy, morning sickness, the ups and downs of carrying your baby.

Pregnancy after MMR vaccine

Postby NewMum18 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:51 pm

Hi all - I recently had a baby and found out while I was pregnant that I was not immune to rubella. So I had the MMR vaccine at my 6 week check up on the advice of my GP. I was told to wait 3 months after getting the vaccine before trying to conceive. The 3 months is now up so we are thinking of trying to conceive now. I have been doing some research and have come across articles where people who subsequently got pregnant after getting the MMR had issues with their pregnancy or had children who went on to develop autism. Has anyone any experience of getting pregnant soon after getting the MMR and had they any issues? Many thanks
NewMum18

Re: Pregnancy after MMR vaccine

Postby LorraineG » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:47 am

Hi newmum18 as far as I know the mmr is a live vaccine so they advise 3 months for it to get out of your system. If your still concerned give it another month or 2 but I don't think doctors would say 3 months if it wasn't safe. Unfortunately things can go wrong in pregnancy for no reason at all and people find it easier to have something to blame. Just remember you can find anything you want on Google particularly negative stories because people rarely post too much about the positives! Good luck with trying again and honestly if you've any concerns waiting a bit longer is better than worrying.
LorraineG

Postby NewMum18 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:28 pm

Thanks LorraineG. I think we might just wait another while just to keep my mind at ease! You’re definitely right - google is not always helpful and tends to give a lot of negative opinions. My husband is always giving out to me for googling things!
NewMum18

Postby ceoltoirin » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:13 pm

Hi newmum the vaccine is live and as stated 3 months is to ensure it's out of your system however there is no link between the mmr and Autism. The papers insinuating this were all discredited and found to have falsified their evidence. People who had problems unfortunately do look for an issue but it's most likely unrelated to the mmr and more likely either coincidental or related to something else in their genetics
ceoltoirin

Return to General Pregnancy Chat