12 weeks pregnant and husband is Sick

General chat about being pregnant, the different stages of pregnancy, morning sickness, the ups and downs of carrying your baby.

12 weeks pregnant and husband is Sick

Postby Charlotte28 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:31 pm

Hi

This is my first post and just need abit I help, I'm just gone 12 weeks and my husband has been unwell today he has been sick once and just want to know what to do, should he sleep on the couch or stay in his mothers? He has a toothache and is saying it is that that is making him feel ill, thanks any comments will be appreciated
Charlotte28

Re: 12 weeks pregnant and husband is Sick

Postby MasterMongoose » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:52 pm

Are you afraid he will give you something? It depends on what's wrong with him.
If it was the vomiting bug I'd say you should go somewhere else like your mams. Rather that sending him to his mums to infect all around him there.
MasterMongoose

Postby Charlotte28 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:58 pm

I'm afraid what he has is infectious he says he is feeling better but I'm only just gone 12 weeks and don't want to risk catching anything, but he says he got sick due to a really bad toothache and feels better now but if he sleeps on couch would that be ok
Charlotte28

Postby MasterMongoose » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:10 pm

Again depends on what he has. Get a a good hand washing system in place. Don't be touching your face, with your hands that's the biggest transfer of germs.
If he's not coughing or sneezing its much easier to avoid transfer of bugs.
Sleeping on the couch is better than you being in close proximity.
More than likely you won't catch anything
MasterMongoose

Postby Charlotte28 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:01 pm

But how do I stop feeling like I'm going to catch something off him, we are nearly arguing over him going to stay at his mothers, is it gonna be like this everytime he feels ill il be kicking him out, it's not really fair on him as he is not well, but I have to put baby first
Charlotte28

Postby MasterMongoose » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:23 pm

Well to be honest if I was in your shoes I wouldn't be putting him on the couch or worried about catching something from him. Unless he has one of the following that can affect pregnancy.

Bacterial vaginosis (HE really shouldn't have that)
Chicken pox
Chlamydia
Cytomegalovirus
Fifth disease (parvovirus)
Flu
Gonorrhea
Group B strep
Hepatitis B
Herpes
HIV
Listeriosis
Rubella (German measles)
Sexually transmitted infections
Syphilis
Toxoplasmosis
Trichomoniasis
Urinary tract infections

Also most babies aren't harmed when the mother has an infection. Plus at this stage you've probably been exposed to it already so not much you can do really.
If you really are worried bring him to the doctor tomorrow and find out what is wrong with him and if he is contagious. So you can pre empt whatever is coming your way.
Colds, flu's and the vomiting bug won't damage baby as long as you keep hydrated and mind yourself.
MasterMongoose

Postby Charlotte28 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:55 pm

Thank you so much I know we all worry especially so early on, but sure he can sleep on couch il get a better sleep, thanks for all your help makes sense to get the facts before you think the worst.
Charlotte28

Postby therealgaybyrne » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:59 pm

Right now I know this may sound a bit harsh but I think you are seriously over reacting !!! Tbh, if my husband was sick the last place id want him sleeping is on the sofa, hes already unwell why would you want him to be more uncomfortable. If youre very concerned why dont you sleep on the sofa? Or in your mothers? He says hes ill because of a toothache, why is that so unbelievable?
therealgaybyrne

Postby HoneyBee » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:24 pm

Have to say after reading this thread I'd agree with therealgaybyrne - I know you dont want to catch anything but he if he's already feeling better, even if he'd had something, he's way past the contagious stage now.

Plus if you're living a normal life - going out in public/working/on publictransport etc - you're probably exposed to people with colds, flu, bugs several times every few minutes so unfortunately if you're going to catch a bug you've as much chance of catching it from a stranger as you have your hubby.
HoneyBee

Postby mamaw » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:59 am

The girls are right. You're only winding yourself up. Try to relax. You're exposed to so much in your everyday life. Bsby is a lot more resilient than you might think.

mamaw

Postby trees » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:49 am

hope ur hubby is on the mend now Charlotte28 and your relaxing a little - last thing anyone needs is stress these days,
trees

Return to General Pregnancy Chat