Breastfeeding - a few tips if considering

General chat about being pregnant, the different stages of pregnancy, morning sickness, the ups and downs of carrying your baby.

Re: Breastfeeding - a few tips if considering

Postby justCANTwait » Mon May 20, 2013 4:01 pm

i was induced for 3 days and it failed i only dialated 1cm.they eventually broke my waters and i was put on the drip.i went through 17 hours of horrible labour as my epidural failed.they reinserted epidural after i pushed them to believe me that it wasnt working.babys head was coming down in wrong position so after an hour of pushing which resulted in nothing they tried forceps and when they failed i got a spinal and a section.oh it was dreadful.i had a seizure after the section aswell.so im totally traumatised after it all.but baby is amazing and im trying to leave it in the past.
justCANTwait

Postby miniak » Mon May 20, 2013 4:28 pm

Omg justcantwait that's very traumatic. I hope your taking time for you, which I'm sure is v difficult with a new born. Fair play to you for bf after all that, your are a very strong woman and obv a good mum. :)

Wat did you call your ill boy?
miniak

Postby justCANTwait » Mon May 20, 2013 4:36 pm

thanks i dont feel very strong but tryin to be.we called him Noah.
justCANTwait

Postby HoneyBee » Mon May 20, 2013 4:46 pm

God hun you really had a bad time of it, my induction failed too but thankfully it didn't go on for three days & I had no problems once she was out. You are amazing for bf after all that - go you!!
HoneyBee

Postby miniak » Mon May 20, 2013 4:56 pm

Lovely name justcantwait :) fair play to you for trying bf and doing so well with it after the birth and recovering from a section. More power to you.
miniak

Postby tippmam » Thu May 23, 2013 6:13 pm

Honeybee can I ask what breast pump you use? & did you purchase before you brought baby home or wait to make it all worked for you first?
tippmam

Postby MummyBear » Thu May 23, 2013 6:22 pm

I know I don't have experience of breastfeeding yet, but my hubby feels he'll be left out a bit as he feels one of the biggest bonding chances for him is feeding.
I'm determined to bf though, so I looked into pumps so he can share in the experience (hopefully after the 1st few weeks).
I did a bit of research 1st. I didn't want to spend the earth as I'm not even sure I'll manage to bf for long.

Anyway, after my research, it seemed to me that the Medela brand was the best on the market (in my price range). As said though, I don't have experience of using it yet, so can't say how great, or not, it is.
I read a lot of bad reviews about the Advent ones. (The automatic ones in particular, as I wasn't interested in manual ones). It said they'd a very bad suction & that you'd to sit in a V uncomfortable bent over position to stop milk spilling, or going back into pump, or something. (Can't remem exactly)
MummyBear

Postby tippmam » Thu May 23, 2013 6:37 pm

Thanks a million mummy bear that's great I really have to do my research I have no clue re pumps but I defo want to try bf n I know I still what hubby to help ;-)
tippmam

Postby MasterMongoose » Thu May 23, 2013 6:46 pm

This is a link to a really sweet bf article

http://theleakyboob.com/2011/08/baby-ex ... -behavior/

Check it out
MasterMongoose

Postby HoneyBee » Thu May 23, 2013 6:52 pm

I have the tommee tippee pump - got it mothercare in a set with a bottle & microwave storage box that doubles as a steriliser.

I bought it when we left hospital, having used a pump while I was in there to give lo top up feeds. I used a medela one in hosp & am now using a tommee tippee one & personally I find them about the same, so its really a personal choice :-)
HoneyBee

Postby justCANTwait » Thu May 23, 2013 7:19 pm

i got the Medela swing pump i find it excellent.it was expensive at €160 but i think its well worth it.i was so sore id more than likely have given up by now without it.you can get it on amazon for £99 plus delivery it works out about €130 when you convert pounds to euro so a bit of a saving.i didnt have it bought before baby arrived as midwife said not to.id say give bf a shot and pump in the hospital before u invest in one.
justCANTwait

Postby tippmam » Thu May 23, 2013 8:11 pm

Thanks a million ladies ye are great! X
tippmam

Postby wanabe » Sat May 25, 2013 7:45 pm

wat an interesting post. been thinking alot bout bf n defo wana give it a try but not putting pressure on myself although id like it to work out. I've copied some of ur advise as thought it was great!!

so wen can u start expressing milk wit pumps? i just want dh to b involved. luv ur idea dh doin d feed before bed.
wanabe

Postby justCANTwait » Sat May 25, 2013 8:16 pm

i started expressing when he was 10 days old.i dont go crazy pumping i jus do it mainly when im a bit sore.the more u express the more the milk will come in.this isnt always a good thing though cos if u leave it too long to either feed/pump from that breast its quite uncomfortable as the breast gets hard and u start leaking like crazy!!!!not fun when it happens when ur out shopn and have forgotten ur breast pads!!!!!my hubby then uses the milk at night or when i desperately need a nap during the day.breastfeeding is great when it works and very convenient but is tiring and u need ur proper food and vitamins which im very lucky to have my hubby feeding me as i would often prefer to sleep.
justCANTwait

Postby justCANTwait » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:32 pm

just thought id share a new position that has saved me and bubs and allowed me to continue breastfeeding.been VERY sore the last few days i mean scream out loud if baby even touched the nipple never even mind latch on.i went nuts last night at hubby even told him i was gona leave him and that i resented him.he was the reason i got sore.when i was feeding bab hubby coughed and startled baby, baby clamped down and dragged nipple which resulted an a big cut.anyway went to local feeding clinic today as my last resort.she showed me the LAID BACK BREASTFEEDING HOLD.all i can say is OMG I CAN FEED AGAIN and im so happy.look it up on google to see how its done the le leache league is best place for bf help.anyway im sitting here feeding on my not so sore nipple, last night i cried while doing the same thing.only wish i knew about this weeks ago.
justCANTwait

Postby ANC » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:52 am

Great post, I've about 7 wks to go & I'm hoping to breast feed too, so thanks for the tips!
ANC

For princess sparkles: Breastfeeding - a few tips if conside

Postby HoneyBee » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:46 pm

Thought this might help, I wrote it ages ago, but might be handy!
HoneyBee

Postby happybunny14 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:25 pm

Hi girls i also want to breastfeed iv 3 wks to go but feeling totally overwhelmed with all the info feel so clueless. Honeybee did it really take up to 40 mins for a feed at the start?
happybunny14

Postby HoneyBee » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:38 pm

It did - and if I'm honest, sometimes longer but its some of my best memories of her - just the 2 of us snuggled on the couch watching tv, eating toast, cosy & content. Now that she's a mobile toddler hell bent on destruction I'd give anything for an hour spent cuddling her, they grow too fast :( nowadays she's on the go 24/7
HoneyBee

Postby happybunny14 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:02 am

Yeah I wouldnt mind it when its just ne and babs I know this might sound silly but im just thinking about all the visitors we'll have over the first few days/wks and people wanting to see the baby I wouldnt mind with my own fam/close friends but with some of my oh's friends and family I dont know how comfortable id feel bf in front of them I know its my own hang up and prob all in my head did any of u feel like that at the start?
happybunny14

PreviousNext

Return to General Pregnancy Chat