Breastfeeding - a few tips if considering

General chat about being pregnant, the different stages of pregnancy, morning sickness, the ups and downs of carrying your baby.

Re: Breastfeeding - a few tips if considering

Postby MasterMongoose » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:45 am

Happybunny have you seen any one breastfeeding? There's really not much on display. I'm feeding my almost 11 month old. If you want you can practise in front of a mirror. But with a nice breastfeeding top or two all people will see is the back of baby's head. And let's not forget boobs first job was to feed babies
MasterMongoose

Postby happybunny14 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:57 am

I know its just me being silly its the most natural thing in the world I just need to not be so uptight and stop worrying about what others think
happybunny14

Postby MasterMongoose » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:07 am

Have you thought about going to any groups before you have your baby? Like Cuidhiu or le leche?
MasterMongoose

Postby happybunny14 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:28 pm

Yeah I should look into it coz I feel pretty clueless ill google it now :)
happybunny14

Postby tippergirl » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:31 pm

The tips are great girls & it's nice to read a common sense approach to things. I'm under no illusion that it's a case of persistence & getting used to my own body & my babies needs/way of feeding. I'm going to give it a shot & am hoping it'll work out. I'm going to do a breast feeding class with cuidiu as part of my ante natal classes.
[/url]
tippergirl

Postby MasterMongoose » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:36 pm

I never attended either before baby was born. Big mistake. I thought I'd have baby, hold baby to my boobs and he'd be off feeding. In reality it wasn't like that at all. I felt so bloody awkward. Section probably didn't help. Milk took 5 days to come in fully. Baby had posterior tongue tie and upper lip tie. I asked 5 different nurses to check they all said no ties and latch looked good. I was in utter agony for 12 weeks till the ties were finally diagnosed. If I'd attended groups before hand I would have gotten help a lot quicker. I'd have known the pain I was feeling is not normal. You should never feel pain while feeding. Might be a tad uncomfortable in those first few days at the start when babies latch. But outright pain that makes your toes curl should not exist
Last edited by MasterMongoose on Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MasterMongoose

Postby Kcsmrs » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:49 pm

Some great advice here, I'll be saving it for future reference, thanks a million

Kcsmrs

Postby cudleyb » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:32 pm

Great tips girls as I'm feeling really anxious about breastfeeding and have a ton of questions which sound pretty dumb to me like how do you know baby is full and getting enough, when do you change boobs, how often should you be feeding etc as I bottle fed my other too it was easy to know cos you'd see the oz's and you know you should feed them every 4hours and that you could hold them off but with breastfeeding I wouldn't be confident doing that but yet I want to try it out see how it goes... I feel a hit better after reading the different comments but think I might go to the breastfeeding class too see what there about
cudleyb

Postby MasterMongoose » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:48 pm

You know they have enough by counting wet and dirty nappies and their weight gain. You change boobs after baby is finished with the first one ( you should at least offer both sides especially in the early days to get your supply going)
You generally feed on demand so when baby is hungry. Much like how you'd eat yourself, when your hungry.
But deffo do a class. Are you anywhere near Dublin. I can recommend an amazing women there
MasterMongoose

Postby cudleyb » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:09 am

Yeah I'm in Dublin the run classes in Rotunda on Thursday's I'll book myself in and hopefully get more confidence in knowing wat I'm doing I'm sure I'll get the hang of it soon enough as it's meant to be the most natural thing :-)
cudleyb

Postby HoneyBee » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:19 pm

Bump
HoneyBee

Postby HoneyBee » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:54 pm

Just thought I'd bump this old thread in case anything here is helpful :)
HoneyBee

Postby iwishiwas » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:07 am

Thanks honeybee, this is great xxx
iwishiwas

Previous

Return to General Pregnancy Chat