Rhesus d negative blood

General chat about being pregnant, the different stages of pregnancy, morning sickness, the ups and downs of carrying your baby.

Rhesus d negative blood

Postby Taurus » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:38 pm

Just got my blood group card back in post today. It says I'm a rhesus d negative blood group A. Is anyone else rhesus negative as I know only a small percentage are? Anyone who is did your partner have to find out what blood group he is?
Taurus

Re: Rhesus d negative blood

Postby Babywall » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:46 pm

I'm rhesus negative blood group, as is my mother. They don't check your partner as they can't take for granted that he's the father of the child. You will get the anti d vaccine regardless of your partner's blood group.
Babywall

Postby Taurus » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:50 pm

Thanks baby wall i don't know much about it. I presume they will tell me all on my next appointment just my bloods were done late after some mix up with first lot so they only done it there at 18 weeks again.
Taurus

Postby Babywall » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:56 pm

It's nothing to worry about. You'll get the injection after you give birth!
Babywall

Postby Taurus » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:27 pm

Do you have to get any other injections during pregnancy for it. Sorry for all the questions
Taurus

Postby MummyBear » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:43 pm

I am.
If there's any bleeding during pregnancy you'll have to get the anti d injection.
When you give birth they test a sample of cord blood to check their blood type. If they also are rhesus negative you wont need the injection. If they're positive, you won't.
being rhesus negative doesn't affect 1st pregnancy, but if you blood came in contact with positive blood & no injection was given, your body would create antibodies against positive blood which would attack a positive baby in future pregnancies & could cause complications or miscarriage.
The anti d stops your body from creating antibodies by 'hiding' the positive 'things' (whatever the right term is) in the rhesus positive blood that may enter your system.
(vvv lay mans explanation there)
MummyBear

Postby MummyBear » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:45 pm

If the baby's positive you WILL need the injection (i meant to say)
MummyBear

Postby justCANTwait » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:12 pm

Hi hun its nothing major to worry about.i too am the same.you just need to be vigilant.i fell once on my bump and had to get an injection.just be careful.you have to wear a wristband in hospital to let staff know.they test baby when its born and you might need the anti d then if baby is different to you, my baby was rhesus neg so i didnt need it.good luck with your pregnancy.
justCANTwait

Postby MummyBear » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:48 pm

Not all hospitals do the wristband thing though. Mine doesn't.
They should know from reading ur file (mine always did) but i always made sure to mention it so itd never be overlooked.
MummyBear

Postby justCANTwait » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:02 pm

Ah right.i was in limerick.yeah good idea mummybear to make sure they know it.
justCANTwait

Postby Taurus » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:00 pm

Thanks ladies for all the info.
Taurus

Return to General Pregnancy Chat