Calling all C Section Mammy's

General chat about being pregnant, the different stages of pregnancy, morning sickness, the ups and downs of carrying your baby.

Calling all C Section Mammy's

Postby sunshine » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:27 pm

Hey girls just looking for some advice from all mammy's who been through a c section. Due to having a low lying placenta and it hasn't moved at all I am now scheduled for a c section at the end of this month sometime or sooner if baby decides to try and arrive earlier.

Just wondering how was your experience of a c section, where you allowed skin to skin with your baby as soon as they were born? Was the baby taken off you when you went into recovery, was Husband and baby allowed into recovery with you?

How did you find the recovery after the surgery? is it as bad as everyone says or were you be able to move around and lift your little one a couple of hours after surgery? what did you do to prevent your scar getting infected?

would appreciate any stories of peoples experience and if they would do anything different if they had to get a section again? :thanks
[url=http://lilypie.com]Image
sunshine

Re: Calling all C Section Mammy's

Postby newbe » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:48 pm

Hi first it was not as bad as i though very uncomfortable but it was fine
baby was not put on my chest but was brought around for cheek to cheek contact
i went to recovery alone oh had baby till i got back
I was done at 4 o clock and i walked out to shower at 5 in the morning when they took the dressing off i put a.maternity pad over my wound yo stop thinks rubbing of it i came home after 4 or 5 days and mopped the flour
the one think that got to me was no sleep on the first night they should take your baby so you can have a few hours sleep make sure you have ear plugs for when someone comes in to sleep for a hour
newbe

Postby SumDay » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:30 pm

Hi there,
We had cheek to cheek contact in the theatre and baby was given to oh. Both were with me in recovery (coombe) where midwives tried to help with first breastfeeding.
First night was very tough. You're expected to do a lot with the baby even though you're pretty immobile in the bed.
Once the catheter was taken out I was up and moving. It is sore but I feel it's just a different kind of recovery to a vaginal birth, I'm sure recovering from a tear is awful. You do have to mind yourself, I'm 16 days over it now and tummy is tender but wound healing very well.
I found the fluid retention in my legs and particularly my feet very bad, only getting back to normal now.
Overall I feel it was a positive experience.
SumDay

Postby justCANTwait » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:18 pm

Hi.for me anyway it wasn't as bad as stuff I'd read of the net before I had it done. The first few days were pretty uncomfortable to get in and out of bed but the more you move around the quicker you heal.i had my section at 4.15am and nurses said I had to get up by11am. When baby was born they took him and my husband out to recovery until I was stitched up.i was taken out then and did skin to skin about 45 mins after his birth and tried to feed him. I went into massive shock and bp dropped scarily low so while they were stabilising me hubby did skin to skin and he loved it.the nurses didn't suggest it but my hubby asked and it was fine.recovery after was fine I just wore big granny knickers and kept the area really clean.overall it was a positive experience and I'm completely fine knowing that im a c section mammy for any more babies I may have.good luck you'll be fine.
justCANTwait

Postby may2015 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:40 pm

Hi sunshine
I had a c section, was so scared because of all the bad stories I had heard, but it was absolutely fine. I would have one again if thats the case.
They had just put Hannah up on my chest for skin to skin, but I hemorrhaged, so her and oh was taking out of room. But as soon as I was sitched up, they took me to recovery, where we did.skin to skin for 1 hour, and she fed( all while I was getting a blood transfusion , ur so happy there here safe and sound u nearly dont think about wats goin on). Had her@3pm stayed in recovery till 8pm, both Hannah and oh allowed to stay. got up at 6 am walked(very slowly) to toilet. Was able to lift her in and out from cot easily enfu, if midwives where there they would do it.. As for scar, I kept a maternity pad on it and big knickers. And bathed every second nyt with witch hazel and lavender. My scar healed very well.. I was up and about at home 2 days later. U wil be fine, def not as bad as people make it out to be. I def found getting up and about in hospital pretty soon on helped me.
Sorry for long post hope it answers ur questions.
Xx
may2015

Postby newbe » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:56 pm

Im thinking if your breast feeding they can come to recovery ? I was bottle feeding so al alone :-(
And i defo think the quicker your up the better a girl i know had her baby a week before me i went over about 5 weeks after section and she was still hunched over and couldn't believe me running around but she was afraid to move or do anything
newbe

Postby sunshine » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:21 pm

Thanks a million for all the replies girls, I didn't think you would be in recovery so long after having the section...
when do they take the catheter out? is it when you get the sensation back in your legs? I'd say thats a bit weird getting that taken out is it? :shock: How long after the section did you have to wait to take a shower? was it ok to get your wound wet so soon after surgery?

I know May2015 that you put witch hazel and lavender on your wound to help it heal quicker. Did anyone else use anything to help it heal?
sunshine

Postby SumDay » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:45 pm

Sensation comes back within a few hours, I had my catheter taken out the following morning and expected it to be uncomfortable but it was absolutely painless.
I had a shower a few hours later, there was a dressing on the wound till the 2nd day post op. My dr prescribed hydrogen peroxide for keeping would clean and it's worked really well.
SumDay

Postby newbe » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:17 pm

Yea i got mine taken out the next morning didn't feel a thing and my wound was covered for 2 full days i put nothing on it at all keep shower gel and all away just let the water trickle down
but the thing i think that helped the most was putting a maternity pad over my wound to stop pants and stuff scratching it
newbe

Postby SumDay » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:27 pm

I never thought if doing that with pad! I bought lots of big knickers though and that def helped.
SumDay

Postby sunshine » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:40 pm

Great thanks for the information girls you have been a real help.. I might have more questions for you if you don't mind after I've spoken to my consultant as I want to know what pain relief she uses. I'm not great with strong tablets so have to see what options she has available as don't want to be on meds for too long
sunshine

Postby Hailey » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:05 am

Hi. I was sectioned at 4.30 am and was up and about at 11 pm I had a spinal block so was kept in bed until then, dh and my mam looked after dd as I wasn't allowed out if bed even though the feeing was back in my legs initially getting out if bed is painful but it gets easier every time. The more you walk and move about the more your muscles stretch making it a little easier. My scar healed very well, I had a vacuum pump put on so I've no external stitches. It was taken off on day 6 and scar was spotless no crustiness and very little itching. 5 months on and my tummy is still numb above the scar but I'm told its normal! Best of luck and enjoy seeing your baby for the first time x
Hailey

Postby Anciotog » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:23 am

Some people suggest arnica too sunshine. This is a great thread. I'll be a c section mammy too and dreaded the thought of it but this has helped!
Anciotog

Postby sunshine » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:41 pm

Can I ask girls when you were stitched did you get stitched with dissoluble stitches or did you get staples and have to have them removed a couple of days later?
Also did any of you have your baby in the Rotunda and have a c section I know different hospitals have different polices so interested to see what the c section policy is in the Rotunda. I really want to do skin to skin with baby as soon as he is delivered but some people here seem to have gotten to do this and others didn't.
Also did they give you an epidural to numb you or did you get a spinal block? Sorry for all the questions just want to have a list of questions ready for my consultant and want to know what is the normal procedure.. :thanks
sunshine

Postby AprilC » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:19 pm

Hi there :) I had to have an emergency section on my first DS. Went through the whole labor but in the end things happened that I had to have an emergency and I have to say while at the time I was a lil frightened (because it was an emergency) the staff couldn't have been better (I attended the coombe and am also going there this time around). They were so friendly and reasurring, and as I already had the epidural before I went to theatre they had baby out in a matter of minutes. They brought him over to my cheek for a few moments and then let his dad take him for a feed while they stitched me up and kept an eye on me for 40 minutes just to make sure hemereging doesn't occour. After that they brought me to the recovery room to hold my baby until a bed was available down on the ward (about 30 mins or so). As he was my first I had to stay in for 5 days as they have to give you injections in the leg each day to prevent clots. I had stitches but they were like glue stitches so I didn't have to get them removed or anything which was great, and my scar is under where my underwear lie so nobody sees it and it its so tiny and has faded great, and was so clean from the moment I had it, no leaking or infection or anything. I got a little infection in my womb but was put on antibiotics whilst in there (100% doubtful this had anything to do with section, my son had a bowel movement whilst in the womb so maybe this might have caused it, who knows), and had regular pain relief so I was up and walking around the next day with just slight discomfort. I only have 7 weeks left till second DS is born and I have an appointment next wednesday to discuss an elective section. Sorry for going on and on lol Hope I have helped somewhat :)
AprilC

Postby sunshine » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:52 pm

thanks AprilC that was very helpful. :thanks
sunshine

Postby AprilC » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:47 am

Your welcome, hope all goes well for you :)
AprilC

Postby Dotty37 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:37 pm

Piss off.
Dotty37

Postby Flipper23 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:19 pm

Haha Dotty, couldn’t have said it better myself
Flipper23

Return to General Pregnancy Chat