Bfeeding - foods that aggravate baby - HELP?x

General chat about being pregnant, the different stages of pregnancy, morning sickness, the ups and downs of carrying your baby.

Bfeeding - foods that aggravate baby - HELP?x

Postby Cork2015 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:04 pm

Hi all,

It's me here again , with more breastfeeding issues! My DD is nearly 5 weeks old, I'm exclusively breastfeeding. She seams to be displaying signs of reflux to me such as:

Bringing up a lot of spit up.
Hard to wind at times
Has lots of wind
Cries with some wind
Can be a fussy nurser
Feeds very often
Comfort sucks
Has a lot of saliva
Blows saliva bubbles
Has projectile spit up on occasion
Grunts a lot
Has woken up on two occasions , with spit up coming down her nose, choking type reaction.
Has spit up hours after feeds.
Very bad nappy rash.

Now she is gaining weight she is now 9 pounds 12 ounces , she was 6 pounds 12 ounces when she was born 5 weeks ago. when she is awake she is constantly looking for milk, or else is crying .

I went to a BF support group today , all they can say is that try to eliminate certain foods from your diet that could be contributing to her windyness, such as:

Tomatoes,
Fruits
Peas
Onions
Broccoli
Beans
Orange juice

And stick to a bland diet .

I want to know has anyone ever had any expierence with this ? Can anyone give me advice on diet? I've been struggling as it is...don't know if I'm just causing her pain now when I feed her, should I just switch altogether to formula? Would she be better off ?

Thank you all in advance..

Xx
Cork2015

Re: Bfeeding - foods that aggravate baby - HELP?x

Postby tippergirl » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:36 pm

For reflux I'd avoid caffeine, dairy, spicy food, fizzy drinks and water.
Have you elevated her cot? Keep her upright for 30 minute's after a feed, let her nap on her tummy if you can watch her, use the angel care mat for tummy sleeps if you want the reassurance. Wind her very gently as winding vigorously can bring up acid. My lo winded best on my knee-her tummy on my knee between my legs if that makes sense.

I had a baby with silent reflux. I regret giving up on breastfeeding, I gave up at the 12 week mark. In the end it was zantac that sorted all our problems and if I'd known this at the time I'd have kept feeding myself.

You'll get things sorted but it can be a tough journey with reflux if it's reflux.
[/url]
tippergirl

Postby Cork2015 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:39 pm

How can you give Zantac if breastfeeding ?
Cork2015

Postby Cork2015 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:41 pm

I drink one cup of coffee in the morn, and maybe one to two cups a tea throughout the day, is that a lot of caffeine dya think ? I don't know how I'd get through the day with out it tbh.
Cork2015

Postby tippergirl » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:46 pm

I know the feeling. Would you try decaf? Zantac is on prescription and the only way to give it is with a syringe, you can get a really thin syringe.
Would you try infant gaviscon first? Your lo may just need something to thicken the milk in her tummy.
[/url]
tippergirl

Postby kaf1807 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:18 pm

Told by phn before chocolate big no no
kaf1807

Postby Cork2015 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:32 pm

Oh god KAF , don't say that ! I love my chocolate !
Cork2015

Postby kaf1807 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:17 pm

Me 2 have not had any in over 5 weeks just chocolate sauce on ice-cream going to google it now to make sure dying for some . Ds2 had silent reflux and colic i found gaviscon great
kaf1807

Postby Cork2015 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:34 pm

Do u need a prescription for it ?
Cork2015

Postby tippergirl » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:24 pm

You can buy infant gaviscon over the counter.
[/url]
tippergirl

Postby Cork2015 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:33 pm

And can u give it by syringe also, or does it have to mixed with milk ?
Cork2015

Postby tippergirl » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:36 pm

There's directions on it for use with breastfeeding. If you can get one of the tiny syringes and get it right into the inside cheek it's the easiest way to get it in. Be careful though coz it can cause very bad constipation, maybe just use it for the night feeds to start.
[/url]
tippergirl

Postby Cork2015 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:52 pm

Thank you ladies !!!!!
Cork2015

Postby GalwaysGirl » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:49 pm

If she has lots of wind, I'm wondering has she been checked for tongue tie? Lip tie?

Do you ever hear a clicking type sound when she drinks?
Like the latch is breaking and she's swallowing air?

You could be refered to paediatricion to check if baby Is actually a reflux baby

Lots of other bits on your list just sound like normal new born behaviour. Dressed very ofton, comfort sucking. There's huge growth spurt at 6 weeks.....

Stick with it your doing GREAT!

I know ive mentioned it before, extended breastfeeding in Ireland Facebook group , weath of info for w bf mammies!!
GalwaysGirl

Postby Cork2015 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:32 am

She doesn't have clicking sound, more like a swallowing air sound .... Nurse and GP say no tongue or lip tie......
Cork2015

Postby GalwaysGirl » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:15 am

Ahh so she is swallowing air when feeding! That explains wind etc
I'm just thinking there's no point cutting out foods if that's not your issue.

Have you tried feeding lying down? I find it great for getting A good latch and no Air swallowing!
GalwaysGirl

Postby Cork2015 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:07 am

When I feed her lying down , when I lift her up afterwards , she visits up the full feed . . . . Ahhhhhhhh!
Cork2015

Postby Luvmymunchkin » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:47 pm

I'd be inclined to agree with galway girl,I wouldn't cut any food out unless I was sure and u can never be sure that its not just fussiness growth spurt etc.my ds had a stage like that and I thought I was over feeding him and just the surplus was coming up.sometimes the sick looks like a lot more than it is,if u spill an ounce it looks huge.i eat every thing thai curry tomatoes onions and lots of chocolate and 2/3 cups of weak tea :-P they say if baby is gaining weight and not in pain with the vomiting its only a laundry problem!

Breast milk is supposed to be easier to digest than formula so I would say switching may not help.it might give you a break to give an odd bottle of formula here and there and try winding before and after feeding .its hard work when your tired on top of everything!first 6 weeks with a new baby are the hardest!hope ur feeling better!

Luvmymunchkin

Postby beannacht » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:02 am

Hi there,
When I breastfed, my midwife told me to drink fennel tea. Id make a pot with crushed seeds and strain it, let it cool and put a soup spoon full in babies bottle. That way baby gets a small amount too. It worked amazingly fast. Look up this remedy for more ideas and results.
beannacht

Return to General Pregnancy Chat