tips for FTM for labour

General chat about being pregnant, the different stages of pregnancy, morning sickness, the ups and downs of carrying your baby.

tips for FTM for labour

Postby Happy » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:39 am

Hi everyone, as my due date gets closer I worry about how I will cope with the pain and if the baby will be ok etc. I seem to be worrying more the closer it gets. Do you have any tips of what helped you relax and got you through? Thank you
Happy

Re: tips for FTM for labour

Postby lorraine78 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:01 pm

Listen to the nurses,they know best.
Don't be a martyr to pain,some people want to go through it with no pain relief,if you can't cope,book that epidural!!!
The nurse wouldn't let me sit down, she made me walk the corridors, that definitely helped me :)
lorraine78

Postby cudleyb » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:16 pm

Hey happy definitely take your queue from the nurses the more there relaxed everything is going smoothly... Don't concentrate on how its going to be painful listen to music, chat do whatever makes you relax and deep breathing your body will take over when its time to deliver so go with it as if you feel like standing stand etc do what makes you feel better and as Lorraine said if you want pain relief take it... Good luck I hope all goes well for you :-)
cudleyb

Postby tippergirl » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:30 pm

I second what the girls said, listen to your midwife during labour. They are brilliant at their job's! Try not to overthink things before and during labour but especially in the lead up to giving birth. Do things you enjoy and try stay relaxed. Best of luck
[/url]
tippergirl

Postby Happy » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:52 pm

thanks so much, I am definitely overthinking so thanks I will try distract myself. I am finished work now so it is giving me more time to think about it so thats probably not helping, hope I do as well as you ladies! :thanks
Happy

Postby shellybelly » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:10 pm

I was off work for 3 months before Daniel was born as I had a lot of complications and of course being at home I had a lot of time to think etc but I have to say I didn't really let myself go to a negative place about labour and delivery etc. I would definitely say the same as the girls, take your queue from the midwives, they are amazing and have seen it all before. I had one lovely midwife for the first 2 hours and then her shift was over and I had an even lovelier midwife who was so chilled out and relaxed, she was an older woman, very experienced and I knew all was going well as she was chatting and went in and out, even took a tea break at one point lol. I'd say trust your instincts, you know your own body and if you think you are struggling with pain make sure you ask for something to help. I was adamant that I didn't want epidural all through pregnancy and I told hubby if they asked and I started to say yes to tell them no (I really wanted as natural as possible). In the end I did it on a tens and entonox gas and managed very well. I have to say I head a lot of horror stories before I had Daniel and I had a great labour, very straightforward and short. Yes the last few pushes hurt but as soon as you see your baby you forget. I told hubby a half hour after he was born that I would do it again no problem, and I will.
shellybelly

Postby Happy » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:30 pm

Ah thats a nice post! Thanks. I dont want epidural if i can help it either but i wont know what pain i can manage till time comes. Just hoping i go myself now!
Happy

Postby Shoelover » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:24 am

Thanks ladies very reassuring tips there :)
Shoelover

Postby iwishiwas » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:36 am

Happy I would say listen to your own body before the midwives, I had some complications, which I knew about hours before the midwives would take me seriously.
But no matter what happens during Labour, the pain is never as bad as you think and it's fast forgotten, the pushing hour was a delight I thought as pushing against contracts felt so good after just breathing through them. Take all the drugs you need, and don't let anyone judge you on this, you know your body and your pain threshold more than anyone.
Oh and my advice would be to ask someone to talk you through the last stages as they happen, I delivered but I closed my eyes thinking it was only the head I had pushed through, so I only opened my eyes as baby was put on my chest. And best advice is birth is a natural thing our bodies were made for, so just take it as it comes xxx good luck
iwishiwas

Postby Luvmymunchkin » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:05 pm

Ah its so nerve wracking at the end of pregnancy waiting and wondering what's ahead!id do it again in the morning knowing the end result!tips wise I would have to agree with iwishiwas. listen to your body and if you feel you are not happy or feel nervous don't wait to speak out!!yes the midwifes are fantastic and great support but personally I find some of them a bit dismissive of first time mothers sometimes so be confident and forward if you feel you need to be for you and baby!!

As for labour I would say it very much depends on your pain threshold but everyone is different.contractions are sore but its a strange pain as it doesn't last for long then you feel ok ish inbetween and they kind of build up gradually and I found the gas and air pretty good!!just breathe it in deep!!!i had no epidural first time and caved in the second time got the test dose and baby came before it kicked in!!so I can't really say if its worth getting but I know most people find it great help.i doubt id bother if I was going again but never say never!if you feel you need pain relief go for it!pick a spot on the wall and focus on it try to save your energy but squeeze OHs hand as much as you can!!

Big tip for anyone breastfeeding,get the midwife to help you latch on baby first time and make sure your baby gets latch right from the start as it will make it a lot easier. Ask for as much help as you need and ring the bell as that's what the nurses and midwifes are trained in.i found the ones who had breastfed themselves the best help.feed baby loads and definitely don't expect to get much sleep in the hospital as between nurses in and out and babies crying and lights on and off you will be awake most of the time anyway.

Random tip the hospital is usually absolutely roasting I personally hate being overheated so I would recommend really light pajamas,dressing gown etc. best of luck to all mamas to be ;-)

Luvmymunchkin

Postby chloec214 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:13 am

Definitely listen to your body, you will know best, I think because I'm young and was a first time mother the midwife kept fobbing me off, telling me there was no way I was having a baby that day, sher i was only 2 centimetres. An hour later my baby was born, didn't have time for pain relief. I was much too quiet and let them walk all over me. Speak up for yourself. You know your body better than anyone else. If I can have a baby with no pain relief, trust me anyone can. You will do great and it will be the best day of your life. Best of luck xxx
chloec214

Postby Happy » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:54 am

thanks girls, I keep re- reading your posts, its a great help
Happy

Return to General Pregnancy Chat