Question for pregnant mums2be or mammies

General chat about being pregnant, the different stages of pregnancy, morning sickness, the ups and downs of carrying your baby.

Question for pregnant mums2be or mammies

Postby RocTheBaby » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:50 pm

:? I was just wondering if you could tell me what kind of strenuous changes you feel on your body as you start to get bigger. I am really worried. I take tramadol and difene on a daily basis for a condition I have. Recently I tried to stop just the difene because we are ttc and it can affect fertility and the last week I have been absolutley in bits with the pain. Especially in my neck and shoulders. The stiffness in my neck is unbearable. I have had a migraine for the last 5 days, so bad that I cried last night because I felt like my head was exploding. I thought by just stopping the difene and staying on the tramadol until I got pregnant it would be ok but I couldnt cope without the difene. Now I'm thinking how the f*** am I supposed to get through pregancy without my meds? Im feeling so sad and worried that realistically I might not be able to carry my own child :-(

Please be honest with your answers even if they arent positive. I need to be aware of everything I might be faced with.

RocTheBaby

Re: Question for pregnant mums2be or mammies

Postby chellebaby2012 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:35 pm

hi there i use to take define on and off for back pain - the bottom line is you cannot take it while pg, however speak to your gp there must be an alternative - you can take certain meds while your pg in fact my doc has a special book with all the meds written into it for pregnancy so your's prob has the same.for example there are special pain killers and special med for heartburn when your preg im sure there is an anti- inflammatory out there too, hope that helps a bit.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
chellebaby2012

Postby babyL » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:38 pm

Hiya, I know when u are pregnant you can't take difene anyway so it is good that you are trying to stop taking it now, but hunni pregnancy does put a lot of strain on everybody no matter how healthy the person is, at the moment I'm suffering back pain which I never had a problem with before and I know the more I go on the pain will get worse and I was just told to use a hot water bottle to ease which is crap! For your condition is there nothing that can ease the pain other than "drugs"? Does your doctor know your ttc and what has he recommend you do for your own good and babys?
DD born 18/02/04
DS born 04/05/12
babyL

Postby RocTheBaby » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:45 pm

I had a quick chat with my gp before our wedding and all she could tell me was that I couldnt be on my current meds while pregnant (i knew this anyway) and she said I could only take paracetamol (which is like sweets to me, useless). In fairness, she doesnt really know much about my condition (its very rare) so she probably feels she cant be advising me if she doesnt know whats right or wrong. My consultant for my bone condition is in the uk so we are flying over on 24th feb for a check up and I will hopefully be able to get some more answers from him. babyL thats why im worried, because I know 'normal' women get pain during pregnancy, so whats it going to be like for someone like me who is in pain 24/7 from my condition alone? chellebaby you have given me some hope there...maybe there is an alternative I could take. In the mean time, we are getting a bath put into the house soon so thats a form of relief for me when I'm at home.

RocTheBaby

Postby Torrach » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:07 pm

Aw, precious! :( I hope your consultant can help you out when you see them on the 24th of Feb. Always have hope, you're not out till your out. Hopefully there are some risk-free pain management alternatives to difene and tramadol. Hope you feel better soon. I think you should take your difene for now though cos it seems to be causing the pain in your neck & shoulders which is giving you your migraine. You won't be able to babydance if you have a constant migraine either. Mind yourself now. Would you consider deferring ttc until Feb when you see the doc? What if you get pg before then and then you are told there are no drugs you can take? Just a bit of food for thought for you. *Big hugs* though and hope you feel better soon xxxx
Torrach

Postby RocTheBaby » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:47 pm

I know torrach that's why I came on here cuz I'm thinking same as you. I'm so worried and feeling a bit down about it cuz I was all set to go and wasn't looking at the bigger picture iykwim. I did give in to the difene today unfortunately and now I know that's what caused the headaches cuz low and behold its gone away now! I'm really feeling sorry for myself ATM, like it's always one thing after another with me. Gimme a break FFS! Sorry :-(

RocTheBaby

Postby chellebaby2012 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:28 pm

ah ya poor thing, to be honest every preg is different i mean they say its the feel good hormone so those who suffer from very bad headaches can find them disappear completely during pregnancy, here's something to think about, im 5 ft 2 , have 3 discs out in my lower back (pre pregnancy injury), im small framed and currently carrying what cud turn out to me the biggest baby ever born ha ha :roflmao im only 26weeks and baby is measuring very big, also i have a huge bump and its heavy!!!! my back twinges just a little (actually not as bad as i thought it would be at this stage), i waddle now instead of walking, i get leg cramps from the weight my body has to carry, BUT I WOULDN CHANGE A THING!!! its hard yes but if a baby is what you want hun you will find a way to do it. my friend had a condition and she just literally went to bed for 9 months so she could have her beautiful baby, try not to upset yourself about it hun and look into all the alternatives you can use to put your mind at ease cos ttc can be stressful enough without all this worry.

:hug :hug :hug :hug :hug :hug :hug hope you feel better chin up pet x
chellebaby2012

Postby lovemylilbean » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:32 pm

hey hunni, i badly hurt my back n seot n a very nasty fall, jarred my pelvic bone n put ligaments, nerves n joints in my understrain, had physio n he said that pregnancy will help it as everything loosens out didnt believe him n when i was 4 weeks gone it was agnoy but then as i got futher along it has i know when i get bigger it will kill me but for now its ok, all the best at ur docs appointment too hun, :hug
lovemylilbean

Postby babyL » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:35 pm

Ah hunni I really hope you get your ok, it bloody sucks that your in constant pain, my little brother is like yourself in constant pain He has a condition called Ankylosing Spondylitis and I feel so sorry for him, they put him on a weekly injection for his condition and it started to damage his liver so he had to come off it again, life bloody sucks sometimes but I really hope that when you go to your doctor in Feb that he puts a big smile on your face with answers your looking for xx
DD born 18/02/04
DS born 04/05/12
babyL

Postby RocTheBaby » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:07 pm

chellebaby2012 wrote: here's something to think about, im 5 ft 2 , have 3 discs out in my lower back (pre pregnancy injury), im small framed and currently carrying what cud turn out to me the biggest baby ever born ha ha :roflmao im only 26weeks and baby is measuring very big, also i have a huge bump and its heavy!!!! my back twinges just a little (actually not as bad as i thought it would be at this stage), i waddle now instead of walking, i get leg cramps from the weight my body has to carry, BUT I WOULDN CHANGE A THING!!! its hard yes but if a baby is what you want hun you will find a way to do it. my friend had a condition and she just literally went to bed for 9 months so she could have her beautiful baby, try not to upset yourself about it hun and look into all the alternatives you can use to put your mind at ease cos ttc can be stressful enough without all this worry.

Chellebaby, this is mad but we have a bit in common lol...I'm just about 5'' and have a tiny frame too. I had my hips replaced at 16 and i get lower back pain cuz of my condition.My hubby is big boned and 6'' so I reckon I may have a big baby too! Wierd or what??! :lol: But these are part of the reasons I worry. So you telling me this is a great relief to know it can be done and I'm not the only one with obstacles :P Hubby has also said to me that if worse comes to worse and I have to go to bed for nine months, then so be it... :woohoo ;) Oh and with the hip replacements I'm naturally too posh to push :snooty ;)

Thanks for the encouragement hun :hug

BabyL, the word 'spondylo'' is also in my conditions name, I wonder is it something similar to your lil bro :think ...Before my hip replacements (godsend) I was in a wheelchair most of the time and had to inject myself weekly with this horrible stuff called methotraxate (it makes me gag just thinking about it I hated having to give it to myself) :babysick . I think I remember them saying it was bad for my liver too at the time...so again, I have something in common with your bro. I hope he gets better soon hun. They can do miracles these days in hospitals, I'm an example lol

RocTheBaby

Postby chellebaby2012 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:35 pm

your right we do have a lot in common ha ha! with your condition however i would be surprised if the medical team you will end up working with wont be able to help with alternatives, ya know its the simple things i find that help me a lot (although discs outta place is nothing compared to your condition my love) but id say you would be well looked after hun, i would talk to a maternity nurse/doc to examine all your options, 'too posh to push' i love it! ya ive been told if my lo keeps growing at the pace he or she is i may have to go down that route too but ya know what, i actually dont care once my lo arrives safe and sound i can endure whatever they advice once he/she has the safest arrival to the world they can provide. im surprised to hear myself say that because i have a very low pain threshold, its amazing how things change once your pregnant!!!
you come across as a very positive person, that has been through a lot and id say your a strong character, all you need is the guidance and advice to ensure the care is there that you wil need. my hubby was a big baby, 11lbs 4 - years ago when we first started going out i told my mom this and she was like- stay away from him!!! ha ha :roflmao i think she knew this day would come before i did!
ill prob have to finish up work soon enough, but like i said im surprised how ive managed the heavy bump and my back so well up to this point, i went to physio and things like just to keep on top of it, ive 3 months to go and ya know its not until 22weeks or that i started to feel the strain as the bump was tidy enough up to that, so hopefully you will be similar, but every preg is different hun, you mite fly through it :happydance taking to the bed sounds awful for a few months but sure if we have to it we will, all in aid of a great cause - A BEAUTIFUL BABY :thumbsup
chellebaby2012

Postby babyL » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:34 pm

Wow precious we've never heard of someone else around with a simular condition so young!! Seemingly it's to do with his spine fusing together, he was diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritis when he was three and was in a wheel chair for a year but got back on his feet but he had been told he'd need 2 hips replaced before he was 30, but now seemingly it's "gone", but got diagnosed with the Ankylosing Spondylitis instead! Poor chap doesn't know if he's coming or going some days, he sleeps sittin propped up!
DD born 18/02/04
DS born 04/05/12
babyL

Postby RocTheBaby » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:48 pm

Oh sorry to hear that babyL that sounds alot worse than me. My condition is always being compared to rheumatoid arthritis though, its the thing thats closest to it. So they kind of treat it the same way seeing as nobody knows much about the actual condition I have. Here, its called ''spondylo epiphyseal dysplasia tarda''...try saying that when you have a few drinks on ya :lol: I've had it all my life but the symptoms began appearing from around 5yrs old onwards. Its very progressive, hence I had the hips replaced at 16 and both knees replaced only 1.5yrs ago. The reason I'm going over to london in Feb is cuz they now want to replace my shoulders :roll:

I have to say though, if your bro ever needs the hips replaced...he should go for it. He wont know himself afterwards. It's not an easy road but once you do the physio and look after them, he will be almost as 'normal' as his friends. I was able to go clubbing/dancing all night during my late teens/early 20's...something I faced never being able to do if I didnt have the surgery. I would have been in a chair for the rest of my life. I'm 27 now and still flying around. I did a 2 mile walk the other day with Torrach and was saying to her I couldnt believe it, I couldnt have managed that before the knees were replaced. So its amazing what they can do. Your brother will be fine, wait and see. :-)

RocTheBaby

Postby 2blue » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:48 pm

Precious you really are an inspiration!! You're so upbeat and optimistic and I just love that about you!! :hug
As Torrach said hun, take your meds for now and see what happens. If you conceive before Feb when you see your cons then just look at it as having been meant to be!! And same if you haven't conceived by then - when its meant to happen it will happen. And as chellebaby said, there may be alternatives to difene and tramadol that you could take. If you're really stressing yourself out about this now (and knowing you, you probably are putting a tonne of pressure on yourself!) is there any way you could contact your cons in the UK? Its just a question you have for him so maybe he'd be able to answer it over the phone. At least that way you might know better where you stand with regards to pain relief! And if the pain relief is not an option you can just make sure to have loads of really nice Egyptian cotton bed clothes for nine months while you rest up and cook a baby ;)
As for my own experience of carrying babs, as you've seen yerself I'm carrying small so I wouldn't have as many complaints as a woman carrying a bigger baby I'd imagine! That being said I'm getting backaches fairly constantly now but I think thats par for the course at 33 weeks.
2blue

Postby babyL » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:51 pm

Wow fair play to you precious, pregnancy and child birth will be a breeze to you after everything you've been through! Fingerscrossed xxxxx
DD born 18/02/04
DS born 04/05/12
babyL

Postby RocTheBaby » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:30 pm

babymakes3 wrote:cook a baby ;)

Is this what its called now?! Love it! :lol:

RocTheBaby

Postby 2blue » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:43 pm

:lol: Yup! That's what ya do - mammy and daddy decide to make a baby in mammy's tummy and it takes about 9 months for that baby cake to be fully cooked :lol:
2blue

Postby RocTheBaby » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:01 pm

That is so cute!

RocTheBaby

Postby 2blue » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:17 pm

That's what I'll be telling this little one when they start asking about the birds and the bees haha!
2blue

Postby RocTheBaby » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:26 pm

Oh god you're planning that already :lol: Talk about being prepared!! 8-)

RocTheBaby

Next

Return to General Pregnancy Chat