First AF after baby

For new mums, support, advice and guidance for this special adventure!

First AF after baby

Postby HoneyBee » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:34 pm

This might sound ridiculous, but . . I think I've just gotten my first AF after having lo. . . You'd think I'd know at this stage what a period looks like but this is nothing like I've ever had before. . .

Can anyone shed some light on what their first AF was like after birth?

I used to go through the mill with mine - I.e there was no mistaking when the witch was on her way/had arrived but this time its so weird.
I'm still BF, but lo is on solids & drinking less milk so its completely possible for periods to be on the way back but aside from some pinky blood when I wipe I've no other signs - no achy back/cramps etc
I did have period type pains last week & I actually thought it was AF but they stopped & have had nothing since until this started this morning!

Could it be AF without all the other pains etc? Could be jinxing myself here. . . Will prob be crippled later lol!!
HoneyBee

Re: First AF after baby

Postby justCANTwait » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:46 pm

hi hb so funny that u posted this.i just got my af too.it started of with brown discharge and followed with quite heavy bleeding.but i didnt have one cramp or backache which before i had noah i suffered really badly from.
justCANTwait

Postby HoneyBee » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:29 pm

Ha ha, we must be in sync ha.

Well its now turned from pinky discharge to bright red flow, not very heavy but enough to need a pad. Still not a single pain though, which feels really weird?!

I did get a massive spot on my chin last night though, so that might be the hormones etc?

How you doing hun? How's the lil man?
HoneyBee

Postby justCANTwait » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:39 pm

yeah its odd having no cramps but at least ive saved €8 on a pack of neurofen!!!little man is brilliant hes so entertaining.hubby and i are just sitting laughing with him right now.i could play with him all day.its amazing watching his personality come alive.im so much better now too thank god.hows things with you and Ceola?
justCANTwait

Postby HoneyBee » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:43 pm

We're great, same as yourselves, we're loving how interactive she is now. She's sitting up by herself - with the odd wobble! - so we get down on the floor & play with blocks and toys and shaker/rattle/noisy things and its amazing seeing her reaching and grabbing for things :-)
She's started sleeping 7pm - 8 am this week too & its a world of diff waking up after a solid nights rest, I'm loving it :-)

Have you guys started solids yet? It's so funny seeing there little faces when they taste something new isn't it?!
HoneyBee

Postby justCANTwait » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:58 pm

how did you manage to get her to sleep at 7pm?noah is going down at 8.30-9 but he feeds so much before he goes to sleep.i could be up in the room from 7.45 feeding him.im so tired.last night he awoke at 1.30 and again at 4.30 looking for a feed, which only lasted for 5 mins each time.usually he sleeps until 4.30 but im knackered.

we've not started him on solids yet, only given him a teeny bit of banana but we're gonna wait another while yet as the breastmilk is still satisfying him.

we bought him the fisherprice jumpero.its brilliant he loves it.he squeals in delight.hes gradually getting the hang of sitting too but it'l be another while until he can do it unaided.
justCANTwait

Postby HoneyBee » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:11 pm

I just found she naturally was tired by then. I used to out her to bed about 9, but like your lil man she was awake all hours & I think one of the girls on here posted about how their natural bedtime (ie their own body clock) is between 6-8pm so I just scaled it back 15 mins ecery few nights until we found that she settled best & slept longest at 7-7.30pm sleep time.

I think the bottles of EBM help with bedtime too because they fill her faster/she doesn't have to work as hard to latch etc. it's not for everyone, I know some mums hate pumping/bottles but it really made the diff for us.

I also found she slept better - day time naps & at bedtime - when she started her spoon feeds. We started just after 4 months because she really wasn't satisfied by just bm, but again, there's loads of bf mums in my yoga group who held off longer as their baby's were fine on just milk, so it really is a case of watching the baby & seeing when its right for your lo. Each baby had their own time & I'm sore Noah will let you know when he's needing more!

Does he nap well during the day? I find if misses doesn't take her naps she wakes all night because she's overtired
HoneyBee

Postby justCANTwait » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:52 pm

i have 8ozs in the fridge so ill try that tonight cos mummy needs a rest and a glass of vino
he sleeps great during the day just need him down earlier at night.thanks hun.
justCANTwait

Postby HoneyBee » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:07 pm

Give it a shot hun & I know when they are bf sometimes its tempting to throw the boob out everytime they fuss but just remember at this age they are more than okay to go ttn without a feed - esp if he's only taking 5 mins & sleeping again. Does he have a soother?
I wasn't keen on them but found my lil one loved to suck & I was a human doody! If he does, try giving him his soother when he wakes instead of bf.
HoneyBee

Postby justCANTwait » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:10 pm

he has downright refused the bottle.he pursed his lips together and looked at me as if to say mummy what are you doing this isnt how you feed me.hes back on the boob now.there goes my early night.
justCANTwait

Postby HoneyBee » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:39 pm

Oh I know that look well hun, it helps if someone other than you gives them the bottle - they can smell mummy up to 20 ft away & if he can smell you, he knows he's being duped into the bottle!!
We had to persevere for a good while until lo would take a bottle, so once she did we kept at least one bottle a day to ensure she wouldn't refuse one if we had to feed her that way. Now she only has 1 bf a day first thing in the morning & will only bf if she (rarely) wakes during the night. I now have the opposite problem - there's days when I'd rather not wash bottles etc & have nowhere to go all day and would happily curl up on the couch & bf all day but she's having none of it, wants the ease of her bottles!
HoneyBee

Postby justCANTwait » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:57 pm

i didnt persist with the bottle because he was hungry but ill get hubby to give it tmro night.hubby was watchn a match tnyt so i didnt wanna bother him.but on the upside it only took him 20 mins to go down sofingers crossed he sleeps til 4 in the morning.im feeling relaxed now sitting in my kitchen drinking a latte and doing house plans for building our house.
justCANTwait

Postby HoneyBee » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:19 pm

Happy days hun, hopefully you get a nice relaxing evening - our monkey went to bed at 7.30, daddy's gone playing 5 a side & I'm watching my sky+ programmes in peace - bliss!!

It must be so exciting building a house, we'd have loved that but we could only get a mortgage to buy not self build :-( are yous just starting a build or will you have a nice new house soon?
HoneyBee

Postby justCANTwait » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:29 pm

hi hun we are only doing plans at the mo and picking a site and will be buildin in another 18 months.so hopefully will be in for our 2nd little bubs.oh all i do all day is watch my recorded sky shows.when i go back to work everyone will have expected me to have gone away or done something exciting, when i tell them all ive done is watch house shows and guiliana&bill they'll think im a right boring fecker.but ya know what i love nothing more than sitting on the sofa and watching tv.its so incredibly satisfying :-)
justCANTwait

Postby HoneyBee » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:38 pm

That sounds lovely hun. When you hoping to ttc again? Im hoping to start trying by the time dd is 18 months, so about this time next year. maybe we'll have number 2 around the same times as well lol
Oh me too - feck it, that's what these months are all about. Having relaxing lazy days & treasuring bubs while we can. When we go back to work the only things we'll be doing is running to and from work/crèche/cleaning houses/feeding babies & trying to catch a few zzzz's!
When you heading back to work?
HoneyBee

Postby justCANTwait » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:52 pm

im going back on 2nd december.im supposed to be back now on monday so taking 7 unpaid weeks.im not worried about going back as hubby is staying home to mind bubs.we are going away to a fancy hotel in dalkey for 3 nights for my 30th next friday so looking forward to that.first time bringing bubs swimming.ive had such a hard time finding a baby wetsuit and mini armbands but i found them.whem are u back to work?we are gonna ttc again at beginning of 2015 when noah is nearly 2.i wanna plan it better this time so i get my mat leave and my summer hols.
justCANTwait

Postby HoneyBee » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:58 pm

Ah that sounds lovely, and at least you'll be back in time for a dec paycheck! Always handy with Santy coming :-)
I'm taking 16 unpaid, so not back till march, still dreading it though - not having much luck finding a crèche etc, but I'm not gonna worry about that anymore for the moment, just trying up enjoy lo as much as I can for now.
Yeah I know what you mean, I'd love to time it so that we have a winter baby next time but its a tough one - as you know yourself you can fall on cycle no 1 & it all falls into place or you could be trying for 6 months & it goes out the window!!
HoneyBee

Postby justCANTwait » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:03 pm

oh i know its hard to plan but if i get pregnant anytime between jan and april id be happy.i already cant wait.if i didnt have a section id want to be trying again now and so would hubby.haha im mad.
justCANTwait

Postby HoneyBee » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:14 pm

I know exactly what you mean, I can't even watch one born every minute anymore or even midwives - had to turn off tv3 tonight - because I feel so resentful of my c section still. I do keep myself awake at night thinking & re-thinking it all over - I really am jealous of ladies who have their natural birth, its tough isn't it?
I don't know about you, but I've had a few insensitive comments about how I 'wouldn't know' what real labour is like because I didn't get to push, or how I'm lucky I didn't have to 'actually give birth' & it still rips me up. I went through hours of contraction before I was given no option but a c section and yet some people still seem to think I got an easy way out - as if I woke up one day & went 'ah I think I'll schedule a section, can't be doing all that pushing!'
Sorry, rant over!!!
HoneyBee

Postby justCANTwait » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:26 pm

are u serious thats pure hateful.id gnore that if i were u.well after 18 hrs of agonising labour i pushed for an hour but his head was presenting the wrong way.but i wen through that and to top it off i had the forceps inserted into me but obviously that failed.so if anyone said anything to me they'd get some mouthful back.
justCANTwait

Next

Return to New Mums