Opinions from other mammies :-)

For new mums, support, advice and guidance for this special adventure!

Opinions from other mammies :-)

Postby HoneyBee » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:43 pm

Girls I'm looking for your opinion - a bit of market research really!
My dd 1st birthday is coming up and I wanted something really nice for her to wear for her party - I found the sweetest handmade things online but it was all US based & shipping was 4/5 weeks and the costs were very high.
On a whim I bought the materials and made my own version of it - I know how to sew a little & my parents were from a clothes making background, so I grew up with a sewing machine constantly going lol - anyways, it turned out pretty cool I thinks! It's a handmade tutu with matching headband & I'm going to get a onesie custom printed with her name & age to finish the outfit.
It got me thinking though, if I couldn't find a place to buy something like this in Ireland, at a reasonable price & reasonable delivery time, maybe other mums looking for party clothes have had a similar issue?
However I know there's a ton of people out there selling bits and bobs for babies & I don't know if there's a real place for something like this in the market? All I keep coming back to is how I was actively looking to buy something like this & couldn't find it anywhere.

So. . . Since I'm still not working I'm considering maybe trying to look at a small home business's from customised baby girls/toddlers party tutus & accessories.
They key benefits to buyers would be ability to give me exact size/length/colours & other design wishes & I will make the outfit & ship anywhere in Ireland. I don't have prices or anything, this is really just something I'm pondering, but does anyone see a gap for this?
Also, I didn't find anything like this online, but is there someone already doing this? Don't want to go after a market that's already saturated!!

Thanks girls xx
HoneyBee

Re: Opinions from other mammies :-)

Postby mamaw » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:59 pm

Id say go for it hun. Nothing to lose. As the wife of a business owner, I would really advise that your website is up to par (attractive and easy navigate) and called something memorable and catchy. Best of luck and definitely let me know where to go.

mamaw

Postby DSDA » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:16 pm

I'd say go for it. To expand you could always go to local photographers too and ask them to buy your stuff, different sizes etc.
DJP is Image

ALP is Image
DSDA

Postby HoneyBee » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:51 pm

Thanks girls, really appreciate the replies, - I have advertising/marketing exp so thankfully if I went ahead I'd have a few contacts for websites etc but I just don't know if there'd be enough reveneu in it to justify even thinking that far ahead?
I'm thinking of maybe trying to do it thru fb for a bit, gauge demand & then do a site if there's enough interest to warrant a fully fledged business?
I'll try put up a few photos later - always helps to have a visual of what you're on about!
HoneyBee

Postby tippmam » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:40 pm

Hey honeybee I think it's a great idea keep it small to start & you won't lose out If it doesn't work out!
tippmam

Postby Redpetal » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:06 pm

Hi honeybee, I would say go for it. Etsy is a great website for handmade/ unique baby clothing if you're looking for ideas
Redpetal

Postby lean87 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:12 pm

My sister has just started a similar website in germany and she is run off her feet with orders.
Can't keep up with demand!
Think it's a brill idea.
Go for it! :-)
lean87

Postby HoneyBee » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:16 pm

Wow thanks for all the encouragement girls :-) will try get a few sizes made up & see how the fb approach goes, I'll post some photos here too - can you upload photos from iPhone?
HoneyBee

Postby Purplebiz » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:58 pm

I uploaded photos from the iPad so I assume you can do the same from the iPhone.
Purplebiz

Postby HoneyBee » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:05 pm

Cool I'll give it a go now shortly :D
HoneyBee

Return to New Mums