Toddlers talking properly

For new mums, support, advice and guidance for this special adventure!

Toddlers talking properly

Postby HoneyBee » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:21 pm

Just wondering at what age should toddlers start to speak 'proper' words and small sentences?

My lo is nearly 16 months & she's got a pretty good level of words - maybe 15-20 single words which she says randomly - sometimes she'll say them no bother other times she'll refuse to say anything (generally when DH comes home & I try tell him what she's been saying!!)

At the weekend she shocked the life out of us though - we were playing ring a rosy with her & at the end she comes out with 'we all fall down' - literally word perfect & clear as a bell!!! Was stunned!!
She's said it a few times since but only randomly, you can't rely on her saying it.

Just wondering should she be saying more little sentences like that? Or when she does say them should she remember them longer/say them a lot?
We do flash cards to build up her words & were always pointing things out & sounding out new words to her, I'm just wondering if I shod expect lots of proper talking soon or if the sentence at the weekend was a bit of a fluke?
HoneyBee

Re: Toddlers talking properly

Postby cudleyb » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:52 pm

Hey honeybee your lo sounds like she's right on track with her words as for making sentences that takes a little longer just keep asking her to do stuff in full sentences and she'll pick it up quicker, songs are easier to remember so I'd say that's why she was able to say the full thing and will most times she's in the mood to play ring a rosey :-)
cudleyb

Postby HoneyBee » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:57 pm

Yeah we don't baby talk to her at all, we speak in full sentences all the time & she definitely understands - like you say 'get your book & bring it over and we'll read a story' and she'll do exactly that.

I can't wait for more proper chatter though, its so cute :)
HoneyBee

Postby cudleyb » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:45 pm

Yeah sounds like your doing everything right it won't be long before she's stringing lots of sentences together and you'll be looking for some quiet time specially wen the 'why' phase starts haha
cudleyb

Postby HoneyBee » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:55 pm

Oh I was a 'why?' kid, so I'm sure she'll take after me lol!!
At the moment everything is 'my' - even if she's spilling dinner everywhere it's still 'my do'!!
HoneyBee

Postby Cinnabon » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:22 pm

She's well ahead of the game if her speech is like that at 15/16 months. DD didn't really begin to speak much until just after her 2nd birthday which was late (compared to others her age) but she understood everything and is now having full on conversations and she just recently turned 3.
Cinnabon

Postby HoneyBee » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:48 pm

I think its very hard to gauge 'normal' at this age, especially as they can be very stubborn and decide when they want to say/do these things so sometimes you find it hard to know just what stage they are at - for example I've tried ring a rosy again today & not a peep out of her, but at bedtime she said 'milk' when I gave her her beaker! Now tomorrow I'll try show DH how she says milk and I'd bet anything she'll look at me like I've 5 heads!!
Likewise I told her crèche today about the words/ring a rosy, hoping that they'd reinforce it and maybe play that game too and they said 'oh yeah, all fall down she says that a lot!'

Eh, so it's not new?!
HoneyBee

Postby exciteddotcom » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:43 pm

She sounds very advanced. My little boy was 2 last month and still only says single words and some I still can't make out. He understands everything I say and uses facial and body language mostly but not a lot of speech. I can't wait for him to start chatting away I've a feeling I won't be able to shut him up LOL
http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
exciteddotcom

Return to New Mums