Hip brace

For new mums, support, advice and guidance for this special adventure!

Hip brace

Postby Kronsich » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:07 pm

My little one has to wear a brace to align her hips properly. She's just started wearing it today and seems to hate it. She screamed all afternoon. Does anyone have any experience of this? She has to wear it for at least four weeks. Will she get used to it? It's so hard to listen to her crying so much.
Kronsich

Re: Hip brace

Postby Hopeful2013 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:10 am

Ah kronish sorry to hear she hates it. My nephew had one and it took him about 3/4 days to get used to it. He hated it and first but then it didn't phase him at all. He had to wear it for 6 weeks.

My lo might need one too. At 2 week check up they said she had clicky hips so need to get them checked again at 6 week check up.

Good luck with it and I hope it gets easier for you which I'm sure it will.
Hopeful2013

Postby Kronsich » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:56 am

Thanks so much for your reply. Had to take it off last night so we could all get some sleep she was screaming! Back on this morning will persevere over the weekend.
Kronsich

Postby Hopeful2013 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:44 am

Ah bless her, what age is she? I'd imagine night time is the worse so hopefully she'll get used to it during the day after a few days and then won't notice it at night so much.
Hopeful2013

Postby shaH89 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:35 pm

Hi Kronsich, :hug to you and your little lady. My lo is 14 months old at the moment and is wearing a hip brace at night. At 6 months old it was discovered that she had a severe form of hip dysplasia and she was put into a cast for 4 months, in May the cast finally came off and she was then giving the brace to wear day and night for two months and finally in June we were told that she would only have to wear the brace at night for the next few months, so hopefully in the next few weeks we will be getting are appointment and we'll be rid of the brace for good. I know how hard it is but honestly within a week she will be used to the brace and it won't bother her at all. The best thing you can do is just persevere with the brace and make sure she wears it at all time's. It's so hard when there that small as you can't explain to them why they have to wear it, all they know is that one minute they had the freedom to kick there little leg's and the next it's gone but i can assure you the sleepless nights and cranky baby will only last a few day's until she get's used to the brace. I found pillow's to be my best friend with my little lady, when she was in the cast and brace all day and night i used pillow's to prop her up on her play mat so she wasn't laying flat all the time and also still done tummy time and at night i find if I use a small pillow to prop under her feet it seems to make her more comfortable. How old is your lo and are you allowed to remove the brace for an hour a day for bathing or nappy changing?
shaH89

Postby Kronsich » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:44 pm

Thanks a mill for the advice
She's nine weeks,old and we can take it off for an hour in the evening and for changing etc
She smiles so much when it's off! Sleep is getting better but she wakes crying at five every morning it's like she's had enough at that point! Fingers crossed after the four weeks it'll be gone
Your poor lo having the cast first must have been v hard
Kronsich

Return to New Mums