Christening Conundrum

For new mums, support, advice and guidance for this special adventure!

Christening Conundrum

Postby buttonsbump » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:55 am

Hi there, I am just wondering are there any other new parents out there who are conflicted about whether or not to Christen their baby. My LO is nearly 6m and I am still struggling to decide,it doesn't help that my OH is ambivalent and is basically leaving the decision up to me. Honestly we live in an area where there are no non denominational schools so if we weren't to Christen our baby my fear is that he would feel excluded. I dislike the fact that schools are still entwined with the church pretty much exclusively in non urban areas. My OH parents would love to see him christened, my own would just like a decision. Both me and my OH are non practicing Catholics, which forgive me if I am wrong but I see many people christening their babies who rarely otherwise would be in a church. I agree to an extent with my MIL that there is no harm in christening them as they can decide later if they want to practice but there is the communion, confirmation etc before that which I would feel hypocritical promoting and helping my LO with. I think faith is a wonderful thing to share with children, if you have it. Am I just making a big deal out of nothing?
buttonsbump

Re: Christening Conundrum

Postby firsttimemum » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:33 am

Myself and my partner are non practicing Christians too. But we decided to have a christening. I did feel like a hypocrite but for the sake of school etc. Religion was kinda pushed on me as my parents were quite religious. there not as much anymore Stoll go to mass but dad more goes because he believes in a community coming together. I'm never going to push religion on him . I'll let him learn in school as I did but if he wants to go to mass I'll take him if he doesn't I wouldn't push it. When he's old enough he can decide what he wants. But the main reason we did it was for schools.
firsttimemum

Postby tippergirl » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:59 pm

My oh & I aren't religious but I would go to a church & light a candle I kinda like the spiritual side of a religion.

We aren't christening our lo but we are having a naming cermony & will have two guardians for her. Our local catholic national school does take a number of children every year who aren't baptised & I've been in touch with them about enrolling our lg when the time comes but we also have the option of sending her to a local Irish school where she doesn't have to be baptised to get in to either.

I do think the policies regarding schools will have to change soon. There is a case in the courts at the minute which should change the way the schools & Catholic Church are tied together.
[/url]
tippergirl

Postby GalwaysGirl » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:45 pm

Were thinking naming ceremony too tipper. Think they cost 400/500 mind. What cost is it in dub?

Are you having it out? Or at home
GalwaysGirl

Postby tippergirl » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:56 pm

We're thinking of having it in the Unitarian church in St Stephens green it's €150. It's a non religious naming/welcoming cermony you should google the church & have a look!

You can get someone to the house too but I like the idea of going into town on a sat afternoon & have the ceremony & lunch in town after.

Have you looked into it much Galway?
[/url]
tippergirl

Postby GalwaysGirl » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:59 pm

Ohh they do it in churches? I looked into in when pregnant but not in yonks.
And there wouldn't be the room at home for it. A nice place for food and wine would be lovely alright!
GalwaysGirl

Postby GalwaysGirl » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:03 pm

Just looked there... One in Dublin and one in Cork only!
GalwaysGirl

Postby tippergirl » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:05 pm

The Unitarian church definitely does it anyway but I can't find any other churches near us who do it. My oh is sorting the good end of it. We've a friend a chef in a pub near Stephens green & they do nice food so we're going to see if they can do us a deal!

I've the two schools lined up too seen as she won't be baptised. It's the first thing the Unitarian church said to me when I contacted them that we should be aware that it might affect a school situation later on :-(
[/url]
tippergirl

Postby GalwaysGirl » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:36 pm

Yeh we need to look into the school situ first!!

See what the story is! Anyway im in no rush... If we did nothing till he's 1 or 2!
GalwaysGirl

Postby buttonsbump » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:35 pm

Thank you for your feedback. I think that we have come to the decision to Christen him as I agree in the sense that where we live it does really incorporate a sense of community and even though we arent actively involved he will have people in his life who are. I still believe the school system has to change though, it's not fair that people are restricted because of their beliefs or lack of christening certificate.
buttonsbump

Postby tippergirl » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:47 pm

Lots if parents aren't practising Catholics but christen their children. At least you have your mind made up now & either way you're not doing anything wrong.
[/url]
tippergirl

Postby iwishiwas » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:15 pm

Hi ladies my LO is only 3weeks tomoro but I've been thinking bout this for months. I was brought up with two religions as my parents couldn't decide, so we were catholic/muslims, we done religion in primary school and went to a sunday school for Islam.
My parents often argued bout religion so when old enough myself and my siblings all abandoned both religions. However we all have faith in God, and are all spiritual, religion has no place but god is there. I'l never go to church but mam said she would bring LO weekly for me, so I siding with getting her christened now. My dad a strict muslim said it doesn't matter what religion she is as long as god is in her life.
other people say we should just have a naming ceremony, I already have her name down for educate together school, put it down last week as was advised to, so religion won't be a factor in school... Confused now..
iwishiwas

Postby buttonsbump » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:04 pm

I think that if ye have God in your life without practicing a religion you can share this with your child without having to Christen them if you don't find it necessary. Perhaps your mum could still bring your child to mass as long as they want to. You are lucky that you have the option of an Educate Together school. You should just take the time to think what is inportant to you.
buttonsbump

Postby Purplebiz » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:53 am

Girls just some insight in relation to Catholic schools and christening. The first and foremost influcencing factor in whether your child gets accepted to the school is based on catchment area. In other words if you live within the area that your local school is supposed to facilitate for your child will get in. Oh try schools will always take children from all faiths, usually they are happy to have the extra pupil. If your child is baptised is down along the list of criteria. Usually it only comes into effect if there are too many children applying to get into the school than the school take. This can be an issue in town schools. The best way to know so to either ring the school and ask them what there enrolment policy is or if the school has a website usually the enrolment policy is there so you can read it. Once in school your child may or may not have to participate in the religion programme which mainly focuses on developing themselves and has some religious stories esp. Around Easter and Christmas. hope that's of some help.
Purplebiz

Postby tippergirl » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:39 pm

Thanks purplebiz. Our local catholic school have been very helpful & we fall into the cachment area for it too. I'm just torn now between it & the gaelscoil but I don't need to decide for a few years yet ;-)
[/url]
tippergirl

Return to New Mums