one year old not crawling/cruising

For new mums, support, advice and guidance for this special adventure!

one year old not crawling/cruising

Postby mummytummy13 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:24 pm

Hi all,
I have a 12 month old baby who has not made any attempt to crawl yet! He will bum shuffle for short distance and if he wants to get across the room he drops to the floor and rolls to where he wants to be. He cannot go from a lying flat to a sitting upright position, and makes no attempt to pull himself up using bigger objects. If I stand him up he can stand for about a minute while holding on to the side of a table and seems to have no problem bearing weight on his feet.
I guess I'm just looking for advice or reassurance, has anyone else had a baby who was like this in their physical development?!will he get going in his own time or should I be contacting a gp or phn in relation to this?! He is my first child and seems to be happy and healthy in all his other developmental areas!
mummytummy13

Re: one year old not crawling/cruising

Postby Luvmymunchkin » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:36 pm

Hi there,just the only experience I have is my friends son who was 8weeks older than my little girl.we were always (jokingly) comparing them and my lo walked at 10months and then there was no sign of her boy to stand even she was panicking!he didn't start walking until 15months!but got it fairly quick.as far as I know dr won't b concerned until baby is 2.you could mention it anyway just to see what they say but I think its fairly common if he is doing everything else.plus I heard that "bum shufflers" often walk later because they are already higher up than a baby that crawls so they are happy enough to keep bum shuffling!some babies are just not crawlers either and he might walk without ever crawling!! Hope that helps put u at ease! :-)

Luvmymunchkin

Postby lean87 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:41 pm

Luv , 10mths was very early for ur little one to start walking.
Dd started with 14/15mths, my nephew was 18mths before he walked.
He was terrified of it.lol

I heard that aswel, bum shuffler will prob never crawl but go straight to walking.
Don't panic, every child is different and some just take longer than others.
It's still veeery early days.
But if u are worried talk to gp or healthnurse to put ur mind at ease.
X
lean87

Postby DSDA » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:08 am

My niece was a bum shuffler and she never crawled either. Go with your gut, if you feel happier to have it checked, do.
DJP is Image

ALP is Image
DSDA

Postby jellybeansmum » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:03 pm

My daughter is 11 months.not crawling,not bum shuffling,cant stand and cant pull herself up.really worried she just rolls :/ shes got loads of words and development is great otherwise but I am panicking
[/img]
Can't wait to meet my jellybean!!Due May 7th 2014
jellybeansmum

Postby Nervousnelly » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:27 am

Ah don't worry yet jelly my stepdaughter didn't walk till she was 17 months, she bum shuffled for probably around 3 months before that. Hope Cassie is on the mend
Nervousnelly

Postby jellybeansmum » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:07 am

Thanks nelly.flippin day 4 of this bug and shes still so unwell.
[/img]
jellybeansmum

Postby mummytummy13 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:24 am

thanks for the replies! its funny, the more I talk to people about this the more different I realise all babies are, if you just go by the baby books you would spend your whole life in a panic about their development!
I have a nephew who is three months older than my lil bub and its hard not to compare as he was walking by 11months! in the job I work I meet a lot of people and some state oh your little man must be flying around by now and seem surpised when I say he is not walking yet, then others say that their little ones never walked til 15, 16 and even 20 months.
he will be in the gp for vaccinations soon enough, I will mention it to him and it might put my mind at ease!!
mummytummy13

Postby mluckygal » Tue May 12, 2015 9:54 pm

My 2nd was a bum shuffler too. She got where she wanted to go by literally hopping on her bum and pulling along with one leg. II thought she would be out of kilter with one stronger leg! She stood up ok and got going when she was ready. They say it's a sign of intelligence in my family! Her aunty was the same apparently. I think anything earlier than 15 months is early. At 11months I'd be worried if their legs are strong enough to hold them up. All different I guess. I hope the gp told you not to come back till 18 months!
mluckygal

Postby mummytummy13 » Wed May 27, 2015 6:59 pm

Just a little update,I took the little man in for his 13 month vaccines today and said it to the gp about not crawling or walking, and gp said there was nothing to worry about yet,as long as he is shuffling, rolling and showing interest in moving around a room that is the main thing and that if we got to 16th months and he still is not making any attempt to walk, the gp will assess the situation more thoroughly then!He has really started quite suddenly flying at speed around the place with the bum shuffling within the past 2 weeks so between that and the gp reassurance I'm feeling a bit more ok about it!
mummytummy13

Postby jellybeansmum » Wed May 27, 2015 11:19 pm

My lo still hasnt crawled but shes now standing! Feeling more reassured too :)
[/img]
jellybeansmum

Postby newmumi » Sat May 30, 2015 12:17 pm

Jst to reassure u ladies i have a 19mth old here who is stil not walking! Its only in the last month that he is goin by the furniture. He never showed any interest in moving until he started bum shuffling at 1yr. I did bring him to a physio but she had no concerns. All she told me was to get him a good solid walker or encourage him by getting him to push the chairs round the kitchen!!! Im sorry i didnt do lots more tummy time with him as a baby but he hated it and i couldnt listen to him cryin. He is v cautious tho so think hes jst a bit afraid as well. Hope this puts ur minds at ease a bit. They wil all do it in their own time :-)
newmumi

Return to New Mums