Naming Ceremony/non religious celebration

For new mums, support, advice and guidance for this special adventure!

Naming Ceremony/non religious celebration

Postby shellybelly » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:13 pm

Hi all, the thread on christenings has me thinking. Myself and my husband are not religious in any way, had a civil ceremony when we got married and not interested in baptising a baby as we would rather wait till he is old enough to decide what he wants to believe/not believe. We were talking about having a family get together just to celebrate his arrival and originally it was to be this month but we had a family wedding with travel so money isn't there to do it. We are now hoping maybe June. My question is has anyone on here done anything like a naming ceremony or party for a baby that isn't religious? And if so what did you do, where did you go? Any ideas would be great
shellybelly

Re: Naming Ceremony/non religious celebration

Postby tippergirl » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:32 pm

We've looked into it shelly & we're thinking of a naming cermony in the Unitarian church on st Stephens green it's non religious & the cermony seems kinda nice.

We're thinking of doing it around our lo's 1st birthday. We had a civil cermony too when we got married.
[/url]
tippergirl

Postby shellybelly » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:17 pm

That's a good idea tippergirl. Sadly we have nothing like that anywhere near where we live and I have no ideas. Ideally we would like to do something involving a ceremony of sorts but that would involve a celebrant and to get something like that together seems like it will be awkward. Anyone else?
shellybelly

Postby tippergirl » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:38 pm

You can get celebrants out to the house too. Would that be an option? Someone locally or in a nearby town?
[/url]
tippergirl

Postby shellybelly » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:12 pm

Our house is *tiny* so I don't know. I think we need a venue (where they can do the clean up lol). Perks of living in the whest lol nothing around you
shellybelly

Postby lorraine78 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:03 pm

Our neighbours had a naming ceremony. as far as I can remember, someone came to their house to do it and they had a big gazebo in their garden,with food and drink.
lorraine78

Postby Dochas » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:37 pm

Hi ladies, I'm hoping to reactivate this thread! Did any of you go ahead with the naming ceremony in the end? I've been looking into the unitarian church in Stephens Green. I would probably think of myself as an atheist and don't want any mention of God or religion in the ceremony so I'm wondering if it would be suitable? Thanks for any advice!
Dochas

Postby mumstheword15 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:43 pm

Hi I am also thinking about having a naming Ceremony so would love to hear of anyones experience! Felt a bit sad when decided not to go ahead with christening as it meant there was no way to celebrate and welcome bew baby so this seems like a good idea although my heads already on over drive and I'm still waiting on baby to arrive ha.
mumstheword15

Postby tippergirl » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:42 pm

We had a naming ceremony in the unitarian church on Stephens Green. My oh isn't in to religion at all and I would consider myself spiritual I suppose.
The ceremony was probably a bit more spiritual than my oh would have chosen but at the same time it was all left to me and we both loved the ceremony and the thinking behind it. If you Google the unitarian church it'll explain it in detail.
I then picked out some readings/poem's and I read one, the 'godparents' read one together and the godfather read one on his own.
The church is lovely and the ceremony was simple and personal. We're delighted we did something to mark our lo's existence and we did it on her first birthday.
[/url]
tippergirl

Postby tippergirl » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:43 pm

They do bless the baby with holy water but it's not a cleansing of sin etc...
[/url]
tippergirl

Postby shellybelly » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:54 pm

We ended up not doing anything in the end. Time (and finances) worked against us. So I'm no help, sorry! :)
shellybelly

Postby foodiewoodie » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:41 am

We just had our 6mo DDs naming ceremony in a local sports club recently. We had the woman who married us to do the ceremony, which had a lovely symmetry. The ceremony itself was great. Really personal. I had my eldest baptized and this was far lovelier. If you contact the spiritualist union of Ireland they do the ceremonies in your house or outside or in any venue you like. They'll tailor the ceremony to your family. I can't recommend it enough. Hope this helps.
foodiewoodie

Return to New Mums