Is it normal to feel like this ?

For new mums, support, advice and guidance for this special adventure!

Is it normal to feel like this ?

Postby Shoelover » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:53 pm

Girls I'm 3 weeks PP and miserable. I don't feel this incredible love that everyone talks about that they have for their baby and I'm struggling to cope as much as I hate to admit it. Baby is throwing up most of her feeds and taking ages to settle and then doesn't sleep for hours like new borns are supposed to! I just never thought I'd find this as hard in so overwhelmed and tired
Shoelover

Re: Is it normal to feel like this ?

Postby HoneyBee » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:07 pm

Aw shoe you poor pet - a lot of that is normal, I guess it just depends how 'down' you feel.
As I mentioned on the other thread last night, I had days I cried from tiredness - and thats to be expected.
I guess the fine line is whether you feel its normal baby blues, or are you maybe thinking its borderline post natal depression?
Isabelle is only 3 weeks, - thats a big adjustment for most people and I know for me, it was around that time DH was back to work, the visitors calmed down, and largely I was alone - and that was a massive factor.
Suddenly there were hours to fill & my lo had silent reflux too, so it was me coping alone, wondering was I doing anything right - I know how exhausting that can be on top of everything else.
Have you spoken to anyone about this - your GP or PHN? Or even your DH?
I think if you feel sad/depressed more often than not maybe you need to see about getting someone to talk to to work through it with you and make sure alls okay.
If you're just feeling overwhelmed - which is totally possible and normal - then I'd recommend getting out for a walk, maybe getting an hour to yourself in the evening, having a long bath/shower - anything non-baby related that lets you catch a minute.

How are you feeling today pet?
HoneyBee

Postby June2015baby » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:28 pm

Newborns are really hard work I hadn't a clue! so many mixed emotions for the first few months. You have to simplify your life and be proud of the small things you achieve during the day.....washing yourself, getting time to eat or having a cuppa. Gets a bit easier after six weeks and you'll be a pro by 3 months. If you've just given up breastfeeding you're hormones will be all over the place. Don't be so hard on yourself you're doing great x
June2015baby

Postby Shoelover » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:44 pm

Thanks guys. I'm very teary today. I'm not sure if I feel overwhelmed it I have post natal depression. I know my hormones are all over the place too. I think part of it is I expected it to be one way and because it's not like that it's hard to adjust. OH has been fantastic. MIL said she would call over today but I honestly don't want to see anyone. I'm gonna go get my hair done later in the week so hopefully that will help.
Shoelover

Postby tippergirl » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:47 pm

I think it's a bit of a myth that newborns sleep a lot and when you have one that doesn't you question yourself as to what you're doing wrong etc.... I struggled a lot at time's and I was so hard on myself that I wasn't getting things 'right'. Getting out for a little walk/a coffee definitely helps.
[/url]
tippergirl

Postby miniegg91 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:48 pm

It is so hard at the beginning Shoelover but be assured you are doing nothing wrong & youre not a bad person for feeling like this! My lo had silent reflux too & just screamed all day & all night, feeds were such a battle. I spent so much time crying as he was in so much pain & so upset.
If you feel like this everyday for the next week, think about seeing your doctor. Its nothing to be ashamed of. Xx
miniegg91

Postby sugarpuff » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:25 am

Shoelover my little man is just going 3 mths.and i swear to god he was so much hard work at the start.he was colic reflux u name it.i didnt get a min to myself at al.my mam heloed me out loads was bringing dinners etc and helping with my 4 yr old to.i felt how u are feeling.i talked to my oh and he took him away from me for the day.and it was great felt i had a break from the crying and was better by that nite.cud u try that.

I also used gaviscon in his bottles in normal milk that worked for bout 4 wks u cant use the gaviscon with hungry baby or comfort thou as these are heavy already.then phn thaught he was more colic then reflux so switched him to comfort sma with bigger teat on bottle and use infacol also and thank god that seems to work..but i swear to u by 6/7 wks its does get easier.hope u get sorted and talk to ur phn bout it to there very understanding.
sugarpuff

Postby Shoelover » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:51 pm

Thanks all. Feeling a little better today x
Shoelover

Postby chloec214 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:24 pm

I think with the comfort formula's your supposed to up a teath size, except for the sma comfort. I rang them when I started my lo on it and they said it's not like the other comfort formulas so no need to up a size. Shoe it's all trial and error. You should maybe take a trip to your gp and tell them she's puking alot they might give zantac. It gets better don't worry.
chloec214

Postby charlottesmummy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:01 pm

How are you now Shoelover?

My baby is just over two weeks, I was extremely teary. OH is back to work today and I am getting washing done trying to settle in to our little routine.

xo

We got this!
charlottesmummy

Return to New Mums