first pregnancy but terrified

So you're expecting a baby? Share the great news with us and other mums to be. Tell us your due date and how you are feeling.

first pregnancy but terrified

Postby emmalou1 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:44 pm

Hi,

This is my first pregnancy. Im just over 8 weeks and all seems to be going well so far (incl my scan last week). Im really excited but given the fact im an epileptic im getting really scared. Im being weaned off some of my tablets which I am happy to do but Im terrified something will happen therefore amnt as excited as my partner :( Has anyone on here had a simular experience???
emmalou1

Re: first pregnancy but terrified

Postby gogo29 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:14 am

Congratulations emmalou1. Sorry I dont have any experience in this, but try not to worry as u have no control over worry (easier said then done).... I am sure someone on here has had sum experience on this... :-)

Happy and healthy 9 mths to u xxx
gogo29

Postby Purplebiz » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:56 am

Congrats emmalou1! Wil I don't have experience but I think in early pregnancy we are naturally both excited and anxious! I am over 5 weeks and while I have no additional health issues I am naturally very excited but also a little worried that everything will be ok with my poppy seed? I suppose it's a mothers instinct to worry so in one sense we may get used to it!!! I can't wait to get to 12 weeks.

I hope out feel less nervous soon! Have a chat with your. Gp about it though and let them know how you are feeling
Purplebiz

Postby emmalou1 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:57 am

Thanks girls! Im probably being paranoid - as you said we all worry that our little bumps are ok
emmalou1

Postby emmalou1 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:25 pm

Well I had a consultation today and bump is growing well and has a good heartbeat however I was adv that 15-20% chance of a birth defect....so its a 80/20 chance of a healthy baby. Not sure how to feel at this stage
emmalou1

Postby miniak » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:03 pm

Emmalou why were you told this about our baby? Purely because of the epilepsy tablets? I'm sure there's nothing to worry about. Try not to stress too much over it. Some of us who don't have any medical issues such as epilepsy may not have healthy babies. God forbid any of us do, all we want are healthy babies of course. Try to enjoy your pregnancy and remember positive mental attitude. :)
miniak

Postby emmalou1 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:15 pm

Thanks miniak. I agree - it was a little shock to the system and bump. Hopefully once I keep looking after myself all will be ok. Thanks again miniak :-D
emmalou1

Postby Happymum2b » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:19 pm

Hi all,

Just found out this morning I'm 2-3 weeks pregnant. Yet when I do the online pregnancy test I'm 6 weeks pregnant. My last period was in mid September so I don't no whether to go by the internet test or the actual pregnancy test. This is my first and I'm also on medication for epilepsy so it's scary. If I am 6 weeks gone I hope the baby isn't already harmed.
Happymum2b

Postby emmalou1 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:55 pm

Hi happymum2be

The first thing I would do is arrange to get to your gp and she/he might be able to narrow it down - u should also get speaking your nuerologist asap re: your meds. You can also be reffered to a maternity hospital for an early scan. I found out at 6 weeks - unfortunately ny epilepsy is quite severe so I could only reduce one tablet but im 19 weeks now pregnant with a little girl and the docs are confident going by the scan she is o.k :)

Get to the docs and hospital and mind yourself in the
meantime! Keep us posted xxx
emmalou1

Postby ChicaMomma » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:18 pm

Happymum2b wrote:Hi all,

Just found out this morning I'm 2-3 weeks pregnant. Yet when I do the online pregnancy test I'm 6 weeks pregnant. My last period was in mid September so I don't no whether to go by the internet test or the actual pregnancy test. This is my first and I'm also on medication for epilepsy so it's scary. If I am 6 weeks gone I hope the baby isn't already harmed.

My last period was 14 sept and i'm 8 weeks pregnant... so i'd say you are definitely not 2-3 weeks, why do you think you're 2-3 weeks? It's dated from the day of your last period.

you'll be fine- the baby doesnt take much from you at 6 weeks as it's so small- just go to your GP asap to discuss the medication weening.
ChicaMomma

Postby 2blue » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:11 pm

I'm not sure about the meds hun but try not to worry. As for the digi saying 2-3 weeks thats dated from date of conception so you're roughly 4-5 weeks pregnant based on the Naegele rule. Obviously that varies from woman to woman so you'll have to wait on your dating scan to know for sure.
2blue

Return to Pregnancy Announcements