Questions on Clinic consultant

Ask questions or share your knowledge of trying for a baby, the emotional rollercoaster, the technicalities.

Questions on Clinic consultant

Postby atu0908 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:19 am

Hey there,

First time posting here but I've been an avid watcher for a couple of years now. TTC for nearly 3 years now and have finally taken the step and booked in with a clinic. My husband had his SA done yesterday and I will have an internal scan and blood tests next week. Our GPs did some tests last year and my husband was told he had low motility so we visited Siobhan Kehoe to try and go down the natural root first. No luck there.
We meet with the Consultant in Feb to discuss all the results and possible treatment options.

I have loads of questions on the various treatments but might leave that for another time. My most pressing issue at the moment is that I have done some research on the consultant that I have been given in the clinic.
First of all he's not actually listed as part of their clinical team on their website, which I find very weird. The only information I could find on him is from news articles about a case he was involved in a couple of years ago, which didn't give me much confidence.
I'm not sure if I'm allowed name him so I haven't.

So my question is this, should I ask for some more information from the clinic on the consultant, ask to be changed to another consultant in the clinic and risk pissing them off or should I just cut my losses and go to another clinic.

I'm just all over the place at the mo, taking this first step has been very hard, I've been dreading starting this journey and now I feel even more scared.

Any advice on what I should do, am I being oversensitive?

Thanks guys
atu0908

Re: Questions on Clinic consultant

Postby Baileybree » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:56 am

Hello atu and welcome to the forum. Well done on taking that step and trust me once you have your first app it reallly will feel like a weight has been lifted off your shoulders. Having said that you need to feel comfortable with your choice of doctor/clinic so maybe do some more research first. Maybe some of the other ladies can help more than me as I am having treatment in the uk as I live there at the moment.

It sounds like you're definitely going in the right direction though. 3 years is a long time and it must be so difficult on you and your oh. We have a long term ttc train where we are all in a similar situation to yourself so you're more than welcome to join us over there...

Good luck and baby dust to you
Baileybree

Postby Hoping18 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:27 am

Hi atu, sorry you're on this road too and welcome to the forum, the girls here are lovely. Would you believe I had an appt with the same guy for today and I himmed and hawwed about what to do. Turns out they double booked my husband's sa for last Thursday and had to cancel him. They won't let me go ahead with my appt without that. I was so unsure about what to do. I feel like he's been sidetracked to fertility. Another post I read on rc about him was how young he was but the poster felt he was good and knew his stuff. I was thinking of asking for a female doctor appt. When I researched him, I just found a short paragraph about the case, but the last couple if weeks, it's been everywhere so that's hard. I think if push came to shove I probably would have went today just to get it over and done with but that's because I wanted to do iui, which is cheaper there than other places. Now I don't know if age is against me for iui and im thinking of going elsewhere for ivf as I get a 20percent discount with another clinic on ivf. I know it shouldn't boil down to money but for me it unfortunately does.
It's a tough one but Baileybree is right, you need to have full confidence in your consultant. I'm probably not the best person for giving advice as ive really struggled to pick a clinic. But just to say, you're not alone.on your thinking, I was thinking the exact same. Best of luck with your appt, I'm sure it wou be no problem to change consultant.
Hoping18

Postby Flipper23 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:31 pm

Welcome Atu. Well done taking the first step. Not easy admitting you need help. I think you can name the consultant here, someone might have experience with her/him and be able to give advice.

The first clinic we went to (where we had all the tests you’re having) isn’t the clinic we ended up going with for treatment, purely because I didn’t like the consultant’s sec or her really. She identified an issue (with my husband) and then said “go off and try for another 3 months” and that didn’t fill me with confidence. I hadn’t been trying as long as you but I wanted action.

I think go ahead with your appt and see what you think of consultant, you might be pleasantly surprised. And if you don’t like him/her you can ask for all your results to be made available to you and take those with you to a new appointment with a different clinic if you like.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do
Flipper23

Postby atu0908 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:50 pm

Thanks Girls for the replies. Its great to be able to talk, I'll def join the long term ttc train Baileybree . I went to see my GP this morning, feeling very overwhelmed this week so I'm gonna take a few days off. Had a few tears in the office yesterday so think I need to sort a few things in my head. I had been putting this off for so long, now that its actually happening I am a bit scared.

I talked through this with her and she said same as you Flipper23 that I could always meet with him and if i'm still very uncomfortable that I could move then. I'm gonna think about it a bit more now I have a few days off. Hoping18 did you get another appointment with him or are you going to change too?
atu0908

Return to Trying to Conceive (TTC)