7 positive home tests negative doctors test

Ask questions or share your knowledge of trying for a baby, the emotional rollercoaster, the technicalities.

7 positive home tests negative doctors test

Postby JW1988 » Fri May 11, 2018 10:56 pm

Hi All, I'm hoping someone will be able to give me a little insight as it's been quite the week. Myself and my husband have just recently started trying to concieve and last month I thought maybe I was pregnant as I had some symptoms and my period was late. However a test came back negative and my period came shortly after. It was a very normal period. A week after it ended I started getting bad cramps worse than period cramps in my side and in my back and a few hours later I noticed some light bleeding.the pain was quite bad and I never normally bleed between periods so I began to Google my symptoms and alot of what came back was possible eptopic pregnancy. I really didn't think I was pregnant and knew if I was my period only ended a week ago so it was not possible for it to be picked up by a test but i took a pregnancy test anyway and it came back positive. A further 2 tests over the next day morning and evening came back positive. I went to a doctor who sent me straight to holles St without testing me herself and when they did a test it was negative so they sent me home and told me the doctor never should have sent me there and to go back to her because pregnancy was not causing my pain or bleeding and their tests were never wrong. When I got home again I took a test which was positive and another the next morning which was positive. My doctor basically refused to see me again when I called her she said if I came in she would charge me for her time and send me back to holles st. I rang holles street and told them about further positive tests and they said their tests weren't wrong and I should stop taking home tests as I am driving myself mad. Found another doctor who also had a negative test and wanted to send me to the coombe but I don't see the point as I know they will send me away like holles st. I've taken another pregnancy test today it's still positive. I got my tests from boots and dunnes so different shops but maybe made by the same manufacturer. 6 days since the first test I am still experiencing pain and still have very light bleeding which changes colour each day. Yesterday very dark today light pink. All my tests are faint but very obviously there I've shown my husband and my sister and even the last doctor I seen as I feel like I'm going a bit mad. Anyone have any thoughts on all this craziness
JW1988

Re: 7 positive home tests negative doctors test

Postby LorraineG » Sat May 12, 2018 6:20 am

Hi jw1988 if you're in pain and bleeding still I wouldn't take no for an answer. It may or may not be pregnancy related but someone should be doing something for you. The last doctor you went to seemed more inclined to help and I'd say if they're looking to send you to the Coombe go there and keep reminding them you're in pain.
LorraineG

Postby morphett » Sat May 12, 2018 9:10 am

If I were you I would turn up at the emergency dept of the coombe, bring your home pregnancy tests with you and have them take blood.. the hcg will show up in blood tests and then they can repeat blood tests to we if the hcg is doubling.. they need to rule out ectopic for you if that is the concern. I'm appalled that holles st sent u away like that, HSE doctor and hospital tests are notoriously cheap brand tests and are far less sensitive than the home brand ones so they most definitely can be wrong!!!
morphett

Postby BabyBC1 » Sat May 12, 2018 10:32 am

This happened to me I started bleeding after what I thought was my period had a few pains and also 3 positive tests
Went to doctors & there tests were negative but turns out it was a chemical pregnancy and bleed for a further 2 weeks. Really hope you get sorted but I would be demanding to see someone as home tests are more sensitive than doctors. Go get bloods done in a&e
BabyBC1

Postby JW1988 » Tue May 15, 2018 2:18 pm

Finally got some bloods taken today. Doctors urine sample was still negative but home test positive yesterday evening. Pain is still there but comes in waves and still spotting. Fingers crossed I'll have some answers soon.
JW1988

Postby BabyBC1 » Tue May 15, 2018 6:18 pm

Do you have to wait long for the bloods to come back? Hope you can find out what's going in very soon
BabyBC1

Postby JW1988 » Tue May 15, 2018 7:05 pm

I should know tomorrow apparently so just resting up now.
JW1988

Postby BabyBC1 » Thu May 17, 2018 9:20 pm

How did you get on today?
BabyBC1

Postby JW1988 » Fri May 18, 2018 1:15 pm

Got my results today my levels are at 145 I've no idea if that's good or not so now I've to go back to the hospital steering clear of holles st and will go to the coombe. The pain has gone but light bleeding still there. Two weeks of light bleeding makes me think this is not going to end well. But at least someone finally did some tests and actually listened to me.
JW1988

Postby BabyBC1 » Fri May 18, 2018 9:36 pm

Yes that's true glad u got the tests done and hopefully you will find out more when you go to the hospital. I'm not sure about the levels of hcg but wishing you the best of luck
BabyBC1

Postby JW1988 » Wed May 30, 2018 8:47 pm

Hey Guys, wanted to make sure I updated you all. Today I had emergency surgery to remove my left fallopian tube which is really sad but I'm now in less pain than I have been in the three weeks. The coombe were so incredible and so lovely.I just can't help but feel if i had have been helped earlier not but the coombe they did everything they could when I came to them but by holles st and but the number of different doctors I had to go to I wouldnt have lost my tube.

Thanks for all the messages over the weeks
JW1988

Postby morphett » Wed May 30, 2018 9:02 pm

jw1988, im so sorry for your loss both in your pregnancy and with the poor level of care shown to you in holles st...im astounded they let you off without taking bloods for you or even offering you a scan for when you would have been 6 weeks to see if they could see anything in the womb...i would be making a complaint ti the hse have your say service about the poor care you received in a maternity hospital and hope and i would be vety angry at losing a tube when tjere may have been something else they possibly could have done to prevent thay happening...its very dangerous and had it ruotured at home you could have been very seriously ill..
so sorry again, wishing you a speedy recovery from your surgery and hopefully you wont be long waiting on a successful pregnancy in the future xx
morphett

Postby Flipper23 » Wed May 30, 2018 10:59 pm

JW that is so awful, what an awful thing to happen to you. I am having my baby in Holles and I couldn’t fault them so far but it goes to show the disparity in care two women can receive in the same hospital.

I agree with what Morphett said, I would be writing a strongly worded letter to the HSE and also cc’ing in Rhona Mahoney (the Master). From our national maternity hospital that is simply not good enough. Did they ever even scan you? Hope you recover ok
Flipper23

Return to Trying to Conceive (TTC)