TTC but unsuccessful so far

Ask questions or share your knowledge of trying for a baby, the emotional rollercoaster, the technicalities.

TTC but unsuccessful so far

Postby EverHopeful » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:18 am

Hi girlies

My first post......eeeek

My hubbie and I have been trying to conceive for the past 6 months (which I know isn’t too long) but we have been unsuccessful so far. I haven’t been on the pill for the past 5 years and the only form of contraception we have used are condoms. I just thought (naively) it would be a little easier for us but it hasn’t been so far

Just looking for a bit of advice - when should we think about contacting a doctor etc.

Thanks for your help xx
EverHopeful

Re: TTC but unsuccessful so far

Postby Flipper23 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:24 pm

Hi Ever, it's such a tough one...I did after 8 months because I just wanted to rule out an issue. Once you do make contact, it's kind of hard to roll back as the normal protocol is to check everything is ok, so that would be bloods from you and a semen sample from your husband. On one hand, it could rule out any issues which would be great, albeit a little frustrating, but on the other it could throw up some issues which you then have to deal with. I certainly found that once I went looking for answers, I wasn't satisfied until I got them.

It's a really hard and confusing time. Everyone reassured me that 8 months wasn't a long time but it sure felt like it and I am not a patient person! If you want a few things checked out for reassurance, just simply ask for it from the doctor (or say you've been trying longer than you have!)

Best of lucky, hopefully that BFP is just around the corner!!
Flipper23

Postby EverHopeful » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:57 pm

Ah thanks so much for that. Yea, 6 months seems like quite a while but I suppose in the grand scheme of things it’s not at all. Might wait another couple of months and then I’ll suggest a doctors visit.
EverHopeful

Postby Flipper23 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:36 am

I took a couple of months off, if that makes sense. I stopped doing all the OV tests or logging my period and just tried as hard as I could to completely forget about it. One of the most irritating things I found was that people would say to me "once you forget about it, you'll probably get pregnant" so I wanted to actually try that theory (it didn't work unfortunately) but it gave me a good break from myself and then when we did go to a clinic, I knew I had tried a lot so it felt a bit easier.
Flipper23

Postby morphett » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:52 pm

The general rule of thumb with gp's is that if you're under 35 you should try naturally for 12 months and over 35 try for 6 months before seeking some help, so it would depend on your age.. best of luck with it, its really not long in the grand scheme of things but i know every month feels like an eternity once you decide to start ttc. Hope your bfp is just around the corner.
morphett

Postby Cherrycola » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:30 am

My doctor says 6 months for over 30s but I think she just likes to get people onto the waiting lists if they are going public because they can be so long.

We all grew up knowing "just once" would get you pregnant and maybe when you were 17 it would.
At 6 months you really have no cause for concern but it might be worth looking at a few things..

Are you covering the base widely enough around ovulation? How long is your cycle?

If you are using ovulation prediction apps they are just a guess and if they are pointing you in the wrong direction, they will do that every month.

While there is no guaranteed position for success I did realise after a while that my favourite wasn't exactly deep penetration so I got a bit more focused on the mission at hand.

Some ladies also swear by preseed and it's worked for me in the past. It's a sperm friendly lubricant, makes things a lot more pleasant and helps the swimmers.

X
Cherrycola

Postby BabyBC1 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:52 am

I second preseed defo worked for me aswel!! Also try using ovulation sticks this month so you can tell peak days instead of following app every time.. we tried every day from day 10-18 I know everyone is different and like to skip but skipping previous months didn't work for us
Best of luck
BabyBC1

Return to Trying to Conceive (TTC)