Lavender - Should I be concerned?

Ask questions or share your knowledge of trying for a baby, the emotional rollercoaster, the technicalities.

Lavender - Should I be concerned?

Postby Aruba » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:38 pm

Hi Girls....

So we are actively ttc and I just Love a good long soak every now and then and have lavender bubble bath, soap and essential oil. I'd usually put 1-2 drops in my bath and was telling a friend this and she told me that it is not safe when TTC!!!!!! I am so freaked out now!
I'm only 7dpo this month and after a bath and I got this news!!

I've read all sorts on the net about lavender while TTC and pregnancy, but just want to know if any of you girls might have used lavender oil while TTC?

Hope someone can put my mind at ease!
Aruba

Re: Lavender - Should I be concerned?

Postby MasterMongoose » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:56 pm

I used to use this lavender spray on my bed linen. And then it twigged with me that Id read something about lavender and it not being great for ttc or pregnancy. I stopped using it. Got a bfp a month later. Probably A total coincidence. But you never know. But I'd say 1-2 drops in your entire bath is probably not too bad
MasterMongoose

Postby Aruba » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:00 pm

Thanks MasterMangoose!
Just would be so upset if its something I'm doing to jeapodize us getting pregnant!!
Aruba

Postby Lainsey » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:15 pm

As far as I know, Lavender oil is a muscle relaxant, which means if you were pregnant and used it (probably alot more than you used in your bath), it could relax the muscles in your cervix and potentially cause a miscarriage. I don't know if it would have any effects when you are TTC.
Its such a hard journey that you go on when you set out TTC, you never think that so much of the stuff that you take for granted is forbidden/not recommended/frowned upon....(god knows I miss my lovely unpasturized cheeses) how did our mothers manage years ago?
Fingers crossed for you Aruba that you will get your bfp soon and the same for all the other girls who are waiting.

Lainsey

Postby Aruba » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:21 pm

Thank you so much Lainsey, hoping no major side effects! You're so right though....I'm not even pregnant and I'm walking on egg shells! Praying that we will have great news this month!! All the best to you and also the rest of the lovely girls on here!!!
Aruba

Postby Hailey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:02 pm

Omg. Never knew this! I use lavender all the time, I presume I'm safe enough burning lavender scented candles?
Hailey

Postby MasterMongoose » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:10 pm

I think the candles are fine. It just where you'd be running oils on or bathing with oils in the water where you could be absorbing them.
MasterMongoose

Postby Hailey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:38 pm

Thanks mastermongoose :)
Hailey

Return to Trying to Conceive (TTC)