Longer term ttc #1

Questions, advice and support regarding medically assisted procreation. IVF and other assisted TTC methods.

Re: Longer term ttc #1

Postby MeanderGo » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:43 pm

Mittens the gawking is the worst! I get so annoyed with everyone looking at what's in my glass and at my belly all the time (which isn't helped by the copious amounts of chocolate and cheese I eat...). Can you carry around a glass of wine with you for defence? Or just get tonic with ice so it's in disguise. Uff, we're such an awful society for this (rolling eyes emoji)
MeanderGo

Postby Sarah83 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:45 pm

Mittens everything Lorraine said re clexane!bI honestly barely even notice it now after a few weeks of them!

Yup im so sick of the looks at every occasion. People looking at what im drinking etc. Iv just avoided as many do's as I can x
Sarah83

Postby Mittens » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:25 pm

Yeah I'll definately have to have a defense drink in hand. As desperate as it sounds it will just be easier!

Thanks ladies I will try ice next time! Is it just me or does anyone find the needles so blunt (clexane ones!) And so much waste.. pity they cant put it in a pen type thing like the gonal f etc..

Lorraine all the best with starting the meds again, hope the party goes well and takes your mind off things xx
Mittens

Postby Michelle81 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:38 pm

Welcome mittens and the very best of luck!
Meander I am considering cycling with Serum next although we still have a frozen embryo in our clinic here in Ireland. Will be another while before anything happens I'd say.
Lorraine love that pic, so true for us ladies. Hope you're feeling a bit better now and we will try our best to keep you distracted for the next few weeks!
Sarah I can understand the reluctance to get excited - I think it's a self-preservation thing. You will get there.
Michelle81

Postby Sarah83 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:06 am

Mittens I actually never used ice but as time has gone by iv found the clexane easier to inject but they definitely dont go in as easy as others and do feel more blunt. If you look really close the is a sharp point that you sort of direct in first. They do get easier x

Michelle I didn't realise you have a frozen embie here thats fab. Do you plan on transferring that soon?
Sarah83

Postby Michelle81 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:42 am

I do Sarah! It seems so long ago now I've nearly forgotten myself! It's 6 months already since I've cycled. We are considering doing a full fresh cycle again first as I suppose our frostie will always be 38 years old but I won't be! Hence all the testing before we go again
Michelle81

Postby Sarah83 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:51 am

Thats brilliant Michelle & ya i think its a good idea to do another fresh like u say the frozen embie will stay young!! Its great your getting all the testing done definitely for the best. And your thinking about Serum, I would say they are definitely worth considering as they are thorough, and of course the 4k for 2 cycles package is appealing...and if you go off peak you can get cheap flights & accommodation so works out reasonable! Do you think you'll cycle before xmas where you go to Serum or not?
Sarah83

Postby LorraineG » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:18 pm

So having had a couple of minor and not so minor panic attacks around not knowing when I'll be due my period and so not knowing when I'll need a scan I rang babyscan in cork and the girl was soooooo lovely and helpful and booked me in for 2 appointments...one Saturday and one Tuesday around the time I should get af. So if my cycle is 28 days or 32 days I'm covered. Only problem will be if I get it on the Sunday as they are closed Sunday and Monday and scan is supposed to be day 1 or 2. But that's like a 20% probability so I'm going to try not to stress about that...I may need some help with that closer to the time!!
Michelle I'd say a fresh cycle would be a good idea after having such a long break and doing all the investigations etc. Your body will be well prepped to produce lots of lovely healthy eggies! If you are considering serum...don't let my panic tendencies put you off! It is a bit more stressful in the organising and waiting for things to happen stage but the clinic is so much more relaxed and I know when I'm over there cycling I will be so chilled out as I wont have anything to do other than relax and mind myself! Flights are cheap enough at the moment and I think there's pretty much a flight every day either Ryanair or Aegean air. I would def reccomend going for aquascan/hysteroscopy if you can. It will give you a feel for the clinic as well as making sure everything is healthy inside ready for another go! And they don't send you for hysto unless they think you need it. Penny was aware that money was a bit of an issue for us and tried to save where she could.
Mrsa...hope you're checking in and all is going well for you and not too stressful x
Hows everyone else getting on?
LorraineG

Postby Michelle81 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:01 pm

Thanks Sarah and Lorraine that's all really helpful. Did ye have to go over to Serum for a consultation first and then go back for treatments etc?
Michelle81

Postby LorraineG » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:16 pm

I had a phone consult first where penny recommended Chicago bloods and some other tests and to go over for consult and aquascan/hysteroscopy. Flights were too expensive in June so did blood tests via post and then went over in Sept. I hit a point in about July where I just told dh we were doing whatever penny wanted us to do and f@&k the extra cost.
I also know of someone who told them she couldn't spend anything other than the cycle cost and travel for cycle only. She had hysteroscopy done here under private health insurance. But personally I don't know if I could trust anything anyone here tells me anymore and I'm so so glad I went over.
LorraineG

Postby MeanderGo » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:48 pm

I understand your scepticism Lorraine, with everything that they missed with you. Serum seems to be coming out quite well in everyone's rankings, esp Sarah! We did look into serum but dh is a very nervous flyer so thought we'd chance it with Sims first. But having to spend a few weeks knocking about Greece def beats having to ride out normal life at home!
Michelle, great to have one banked as insurance. But def good to have a fresh start and hopefully a nice big haul to work with.
Good luck with scan Friday MrsK. When is yours again Mittens?
Plenty happening!!
MeanderGo

Postby Sarah83 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:52 pm

Michelle, you can just have a phone consultation and not go over for any initial tests and just send over all your results to them. And they will design a protocol for you based on that. They might recommend getting an aqua scan at home. But like Lorraine I wanted to go over as dh samples here were not ideal and we'd never got the dna frag test done at home, so it made sense for him to do the 40 day protocol and his sperm was tested & 3 vials frozen on our visit that time. As a side note his sperm was a decent sample after the protocol. So he didnt need to come with me when I cycled. As for me I thought id get an aqua scan which is €200 and potentially need the hysto based on what Penny saw. She said skip the aqua scan and do a regular transvaginal ultrasound first (no charge for this) and straight away saw i needed the hysto. So for us it was well worthwhile going over first...I know its really daunting initially thinking about all the travelling etc but it really is fine!
Sarah83

Postby Sarah83 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:57 pm

Meander I totally get wanting to cycle at home first. I felt the same, it just transpired after cycling in Cork that I was a bit more complex than we thought (responded poorly to the stims) and wanted a change and also the cost came into too! Chances are with your package its not something you'll need to consider. And obviously loads & loas of people gave success cycling at home xx The flying nearly put me off too, but thankfully Penny ok'ed me to take zynax for the flights which helped enormously!
Sarah83

Postby Michelle81 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:04 pm

Thanks girls. I had an initial phone consultation with Penny but she said in her email to travel over for an in person consultation and then they would discuss tests and treatment plan for us. She said to contact reception to make appointment. Apart from the financial aspect, it will be difficult to get time off work 3 times - if I've to do consultation, tests and treatments!
Michelle81

Postby Sarah83 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:19 pm

Michelle yes thats definitely their preference & recommendation, but you could insist on just cycling with them as iv seen 1 or 2 people do that on the fb page. But if you did want to go over for initial consultation that visit includes all the tests which are done in 1 day or 2 days if you need the hysto. So you'd need to plan 2 visits total the first of which you'd only need 1 night (consultation and tests), so maybe a thur & fri off work for example. And then again when you go over for the actual ivf which is at least a wk x But look these are all only options and you might still feel comfortable sticking with your clinic here & thats ok too. Or you could do the hysto with Serum and just cycle at home.
Sarah83

Postby LorraineG » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:42 pm

For our initial visit we flew out early friday, had consult and normal scan that afternoon, hysto Saturday am and flew home Saturday night. Whirlwind but meant dh only needed one day off work. Like Sarah said its about feeling like you have options to choose from not just following one track blindly. We'll shut up about serum now!! For the moment anyway!
Meander it's definitely hotting up here now!! Best of luck everyone!
LorraineG

Postby Sarah83 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:52 pm

I agree Lorraine I feel like im promoting them or something lol! Definitely enough said but its always good to know there are options x
Sarah83

Postby LorraineG » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:05 pm

I'd take credit towards a cycle as commission Sarah!! :D
LorraineG

Postby Sarah83 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:18 pm

Lol same here Lorraine!!!
Sarah83

Postby LorraineG » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:43 pm

Best of luck with your scan tomorrow mrsk! X