Longer term ttc #1

Questions, advice and support regarding medically assisted procreation. IVF and other assisted TTC methods.

Re: Longer term ttc #1

Postby LorraineG » Sat May 23, 2020 6:14 am

Not at all insensitive dotty! No one expects it to a walk in the park when we finally make it to "the other side"! I see it more like getting off the rollercoaster and onto the waltzers...I love the waltzers but you still need a break or you get dizzy! You're allowed have a moan when you're finding it tough! The insensitivity comes when people moan non stop without also feeling grateful for how lucky they are...and we all know you (or anyone else on here) don't fall into that camp at all!
Oliviasmum...no harm at all to do some ringing around and see what way the land lies. Maybe ask about ovulation induction/TSI etc as well as iui. Can't remember if you've tried any of that before or if it's possible with pcos but it's good to know if clinics are open to trying these things before pushing straight to ivf. Good luck!
LorraineG

Postby Flipper23 » Sat May 23, 2020 8:31 am

Brownie I know that feeling but sort of in reverse. When my sister died when I was pregnant with my son I sort of felt like that was all my bad luck. No more bad luck can happen to me. I remember being out for a walk with my sister between my 21 week scan and the next scan that revealed baby girl had died. I said to her “there is just no way I could be that unlucky. This pregnancy is the luckiest thing that has ever happened to us and it couldn’t be taken away”. But luck doesn’t work that way which is sort of hard to get your head around at times but look at the positives, everything so far looks perfect. Fingers crossed Harmony results come back quickly. Will you find out gender?

Dotty I sometimes feel like that if I ever give out too but like Lorraine says we know how lucky we are, that is the difference.

Thanks for all the reassurance. I am maybe going mad but last night in bed I thought I felt some fluttering again. I am only 14 and a bit so it’s v unlikely but it soothed me off to sleep!
Flipper23

Postby LorraineG » Sat May 23, 2020 8:45 am

I felt flutters really early flipper...and then convinced myself I was dreaming coz everyone said it was too early. But I do think when you go down the road we've all been down you get extra aware of all the different sensations in your abdomen and you know if something feels a bit different! Trust yourself and take the feeling of comfort it brings! X
LorraineG

Postby brownie » Sat May 23, 2020 10:00 am

Flipper supposedly you feel the movement earlier after first pregnancy so could well be what Ur feeling!! Nice to go asleep knowing you could feel something. Think you feel more connected to Baba once you can feel it, up until then you are wondering if you are just imagining you're pregnant (bar the feeling rotten!)
Oh Flipper there's no doubt about it, you're a prime example that luck is not doled out equally so I know it's a silly way of even thinking. It's horrendous what you have had to endure... I don't know how you do it XXX
And of course robbed of the chance to enjoy your pregnancy. But you know how worth it it's going to be come November please God.

Dotty as the girls have said we know and acknowledge how lucky we are on a regular basis. I probably go overkill on it sometimes but I just think you never know what who you are talking to has been through. Whether it's a much older couple who have never had children or a newly married couple who are struggling. There's no doubt but it can be seriously hard going and I find myself counting the hours to bedtime some days but wouldn't change it for the world!!

Lorraine so glad that your scan and chat about birth etc went so well and that you felt lighter and easier after it. Makes all the difference not carrying all that worry around with you xx
brownie

Postby Oliviasmum » Sat May 23, 2020 11:17 am

As Lorraine said we really do know how lucky we are I for one sure know how lucky I am to have my little girl it was a long road to have her and I’m so blessed in every way for her before before I had her my dad died and about 2 months later I had a miscarriage I was in so much grief that I didn’t know I was pregnant and it actually happened in the toilets in work I thought it was just a very bad period then took another 7 years and my pregnancy on her was rough they were constantly telling me that she was tiny and she had small limbs I was terrified but then when she was born she was perfect she was full term but the size of a 33 week old but she was perfect...

I really hope the time flies in for the harmony test for you and all comes back ok it’s the anxiety of waiting and the not knowing but everything looks good so far so I wouldn’t worry to much I know better said then done

Flipper I don’t know how you do it for everything you have been through the last while you are so strong..

I definitely felt something at 14 weeks in my little girl and I could of sworn it was a kick it was like flutters o actually felt something press against me just over my belly button every one said I was mad but I knew what I felt
Oliviasmum

Postby MeanderGo » Sat May 23, 2020 2:57 pm

Oliviasmum that's an awful experience. 7 years wait on top of that grief. And then all that worry. And flipper, you're also due some good luck and a normal life. Hearing these life experiences def reminds me how lucky and how straight forward my life has been for the most part. But whines and moans are needed, regardless! My current one being I put my back out yesterday and have been lying flat in bed since. Chiropractor appt Monday morning. Can't come fast enough...
Speaking of sleeping positions, I sleep on my back with an orthopaedic pillow because I have a bad neck/back. So, just how important is the not sleeping on your back advice...? Can't sleep on my front due to stiff neck issues and also get stiff on sides...
Have been concentrating on feeling movement but nothing yet. Think the only thing I'm feeling is the double dose of laxative!!
Brownie, good luck with the harmony test and the stress. You're not due any bad luck and there no reason it should find you. But it'll be so good to get the relief from the all clear. Dotty, good luck with some extra naps!
Lorraine, sounds like you're flying it! Hope the flips and somersaults are providing some restless reassurance!
MeanderGo

Postby LorraineG » Sat May 23, 2020 4:23 pm

Meander how far along are you now? They say as baby gets bigger you should switch to side sleeping as there's a big artery running through your back and the baby's weight can compress it and reduce oxygen flow. I know that sounds serious but I dont think it really affects too many but just something to be aware of. I've heard some people say they feel a drop in blood pressure if on their back too long and that there's a natural instinct to turn on your side if you feel funny. One of those big pregnancy pillows might give you some extra support and kind of wedge you to stop you turning onto your back if you do it in your sleep. You could always give the maternity dept physio a ring and see if they have any suggestions for you
LorraineG

Postby MeanderGo » Sat May 23, 2020 4:35 pm

Thanks Lorraine. I'm 18+3 and feel grand sleeping on my back so far! I'll check when I'm in with doc next time. I'm not overly worried as I haven't been getting light headed at all, heat hasn't been affecting me (like hot showers etc). Those preggers cushions could be an idea though. Will also ask chiropractor on Monday because I'd nearly risk the vena Cava pressure over a guaranteed stiff neck for 5 months!
Covid weight has def taken off the last 2 weeks. I'm caught between going fuck it!! and thinking I'm only gonna make losing it later even harder...
MeanderGo

Postby Oliviasmum » Sat May 23, 2020 4:51 pm

Meander I just used an ordinary hard pillow and I’d put it just half under my belly and half under my legs if that makes sense and it worked for me made me so much more comfy cause I hated sleeping on my side I always sleep on my belly but when I got to big I couldn’t I tried lying on my back and like that I would feel light headed and have to sleep on my side
Oliviasmum

Postby MrsA » Sat May 23, 2020 8:18 pm

Hey gals I hope you’re all having a lovely weekend. Chilling out and enjoying a glass of wine. Hubby suggested tonight that maybe while Athens is still up in the air maybe it’d be worth visiting an Irish clinic to see if they’d do a plan similar to What Penny had done for us. Kind of hard not to see his point As even with the barriers being lifted it’s still going to be very stressful to travel etc and you’ve to get covid tests before you cycle etc. What do you think? I know it’s my decision and given all my ranting about Irish clinics it’s only bloody karma that here I am asking if anyone could recommend/not recommend any. Preferably one that won’t want to just zap my ovaries to the highest dose.
MrsA

Postby Dotty37 » Sat May 23, 2020 8:29 pm

Meander I got a really good tip for not sleeping on your back, tie your hair in a bun at the nape of your necks and when you roll over you will wake and go back to your side! J think its after 20 weeks they dont recommend back sleeping, it can suppress the vena cava which is blood flow to bubs too (not trying to frighten you but they really do recommend not doing it) the pillows between the hips and knees are good too!
Dotty37

Postby Dotty37 » Sat May 23, 2020 8:31 pm

Mrsa I don't see the harm in it at all if you want to while your waiting. I heard the beacon is very hood, they would have been my next port of call.
Dotty37

Postby MrsA » Sat May 23, 2020 8:38 pm

Thanks dotty in just freaked cos I’m a control freak so any deviation of plan Stressed me out.

Have you heard much about them?
MrsA

Postby Flipper23 » Sat May 23, 2020 11:15 pm

MrsA I don’t see the harm either. I had a good experience in Beacon. Dr Bart risk averse IMO and that suited us. Omar is clinic lead and he did my egg retrieval but I wasn’t a big fan. Nothing in particular, just a feeling. Had an instant good feeling about Bart I have to say. I went to MFC and didn’t have a great experience but I have heard others have.

I’m a back sleeper too. Grand for the moment I’d say Meander but no harm saying it. I found as the bump got bigger I wasn’t comfortable on my back. TBF lowering my blood pressure wouldn’t have been a bad thing anyway, haha.
Flipper23

Postby MeanderGo » Sat May 23, 2020 11:49 pm

Thanks girls. You'd think evolution would have dealt with a number of these...
MrsA no harm keeping options open with talking to Irish clinics. Plus you've got a plan you like based on property investigations and medical history, so if you can get a similar one here, I think you've already overcome the main battle you had with the FCs here. I would just be prepared that they might want to do it their way. Hopefully they'll be open-minded though. Have heard good reports from beacon. I was with Sims and there's good and bad with them. Had Dr John Kennedy and felt happy with him in general - felt he thought about our specific medical circumstances.
Oliviasmum, any sign of af? If yours aren't regular, might it not come for another while? Such a headwreck when all you want is regularity!! Would you be tempted to take another test?
MeanderGo

Postby LorraineG » Sun May 24, 2020 9:55 am

Mrsa definitely keep your options open here too...no harm whatsoever in getting a consult and seeing how you feel about them. I would also say dr Kennedy in sims is lovely. He wasn't my main doc until after my last round but he was willing to look into the nk cells thing for me...thought biopsy (which is expensive) was better than blood test but I felt he was more open to "other" options if you now what I mean. I was just seriously done with ireland by then though so it all felt too little too late for me. But like that no harm in seeing what they say...and knowing what you want will give you a good leg up with it all x
LorraineG

Postby Oliviasmum » Sun May 24, 2020 10:03 am

Mrs a it’s good to have a plan just Incase if it puts your at ease at having some sort of control I was looking at the beacon and there are some good reviews so I was thinking of contacting them on Monday...

No sign yet but the acne is still breaking out in force look like a spotty teen again so hopefully not much longer now lower back is sore with pains in my legs which is a common sign for me that it will be here shortly for whenever I do get it so I’m just gonna hold off another couple of days
Oliviasmum

Postby MrsA » Sun May 24, 2020 1:01 pm

Thanks girls. Dh actually looked up reviews of a few Irish clinics and was so traumatised he’s back on the Serum wagon. Plan is as follows:

Quarantine in Athens should Be lifted around July 1st With any luck so we’re going to see how it goes and Hopefully make plans to go in August depending on flight availability etc. We think we’ll know by then how stressful it’s likely to be. If too stressful we’ll look into Plan B*.

I’m going to email Penny tomorrow to gauge how things are going over there and if my overall ivf plan will change much given the restrictions on certain meds.

I’m going to make an appointment with that fertility detective tomorrow so that I can use the next few months to get prepped and ensure I’ve all bases covered before going back over. She seems knowledgeable and if I can’t take immune suppressants in advance of cycle I think she could help prep me naturally. According to her it takes longer but isn’t impossible. She also examines any bloods or additional testing you’ve had done to try get to root of problem.

Plan B - email sims and beacon - going to gauge what they’re doing etc or if they could tailor a program like Serum. Might set up a zoom appointment for July. Still an if as hubby and I are aware at this point that every clinic and doctor has a different approach or opinions so we don’t want to end up overwhelmed (not like me at all :) )

Ok... I feel way better since writing this down...
MrsA

Postby LorraineG » Sun May 24, 2020 2:03 pm

That sounds like a really good plan mrsa...and realistically not too much of a delay to what you had in your head anyway for going to serum.
I was reading something this morning (uk based) but basically the uk gov haven't put a definition on "essential travel" but trusting citizens themselves to deem if travel is essential for them. Hopefully Ireland will follow suit and that will open an allowance for medical travel etc. There's lots of people in lots of different circumstances that may not be classed under "essential" travel...but it's not exactly a sun holiday they're looking for so hopefully that will be recognised soon too.
Def email Penny and see what the plan is so you will be able to jump straight into it if that's what's going to work come August. How will ye be fixed if you have to quarantine when you come home?
LorraineG

Postby MrsA » Mon May 25, 2020 11:18 am

So I’ve emailed Penny and Detective (I should just call her Jessica but myself and dh get too many laughs out of referring to her as “the detective”) and now I feel I’ve done more towards the our journey than I have in the last few days so woohoo.

How is everyone today? How nice is the weather. I went for a jog yday and managed to get scalded.
MrsA

PreviousNext

Return to TTC with Assistance